Official Cavan GAA Thread

Started by BallyhaiseMan, November 10, 2006, 01:47:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BallyhaiseMan

Trip to Donegal not to Next week, so ::)
one word to describe that performance was disgusting.
a more Inept performance from a Cavan teams ive never seen.

13 Euro in to see that boll*x, daylight robbery.

Cavan team

1.James Reily. Once again saved us twice or 3 times, Kickouts good in the most part. 8

2.Dermot Sheridan, Caught out for the first goal that his marker Ronaghan scored, but other than that was fairly solid. 7

3.Podge, Keoghan started Podge at Full back,then moved him onto Finlay then moved him back, MAKE UP YOUR F****N MIND already you tool.
He had an ok game,probably should have been the man to mark Freeman.
i said before that Podge would make a great full back, but We are so poor, we need him out the field.  7

4.Michael Brides. Putting him on Freeman was a big mistake, he just didnt have the legs for him, behind his man the whole game and when Freeman took him on he either beat him or got a free. 5

5.Barry Watters. Not a back,not strong enough for this level, pushed off the ball a few times in the few minutes he was on.
Replaced by Michael Hannon. 5

6.John McCutcheon, Putting a young lad starting out at IC level on one of the best players in Ireland Vincent Corey,another masterstroke,McCutcheon was good in open play,but he just doesnt have the experience for Centre Half Back and was caught out by the slick movement of Corey who set up one of the goals and alot more, 6

7.Keith Fannin, Got on alot of ball,looked better going forward than back,Not convincing in the backs,Play him a half forward 6.

8.Lorcan Mulvey, competed with Lennon fairly well in my opinion,theres still alot more in him though,caught one clean ball over Lennon in second half,but was outfielded by Lennon 2 or 3 times,whether he has it for this level is debateable. 6

9.Declan Gaffney, doesnt have the legs for this level of football.wasnt fit to stay with Dick Clerkin, replaced by John Cunningham early on. 5

10.Martin Reily, Very poor,nothing went right for him all night and replaced by Sean Brady. 5

11.Michael Lyng, just hasnt gotten back to the standards since before his horrific injury,passing was poor in first half and replaced at half time by Jason Reily. 5

12.Anthony Forde. Ive been critical of him,but In my opinion, he was one of cavans better players, ran himself into the ground and got on alot of ball,carried well. One of the few that can hold their heads high. 7

13.Eddie Reily. Sent off for a straight red, for 2 punches on Dessie Mone, got on the ball well in the first half when he was Wing Forward,but was beaten by JP Mone in the air at Full Forward. couldnt be faulted for effort,but its that type of stuff at the end,that makes me think he could be a Gaynor( a loose cannon)
if hes to play,It has to be at Wing Forward. 5

14.Seanie Johnson. Roasted Dessie Mone,but the ball that came into him was atrocious, accurate from frees,movement outstanding aswell,Monaghan knew the danger,they bunched around Jelly, whenever he got the ball,he was crowded out. 8

15.Rory Donohoe, huffed and puffed,got on alot of ball but nothing much came out of it,Not up to it at this level. 6

subs.
Michael Hannon, Ok when he came on. 7

Jason Reily, cant be faulted for work ethic, The ball coming in was atrocious and all the full forward line was crowded out. 6

John Cunningham,not very fit looking,looks like hes carrying some weight,but competed well with Dick Clerkin i though,kicked a good score,dont think hes the answer at Midfield, but could be an option at wing back. 7

Dermot McCabe,The messiah came on, looked trim and fit,good job too,because hes going to have to carry us again this year. didnt have much time to have an impression.

Sean Brady, again didnt have much time to make an impression.

Lads we have no tactics,
We continued to kick the ball in high to seanie Johnson and Eddie Reily even when they were outnumbered 5-2
as Monaghan were playing a packed defense and withdrawing players.
No Tactical knowledge by Keoghan.
We made lots of handling errors,one moment of comedy in the second half when we got the ball back twice and gave it away 3 times in the space of 10 seconds.

We arent going to go anywhere this year im afraid.
We will be lucky if we can win a leagye game,Roscommon might be the only bet,
Id say Antrim might very well beat us aswell in Casement.

anglocelt39

Now I only had the benefit of listening on internet radio via podge and rodge on Northern Sound but.............outclassed by the Farneys..............you'd have to be sore. In all my long life following Cavan football find it hard to remember a time when we were so totally bowl axed at such a vital place as midfield. Latest try was Gaffney, who was replaced by my reckoning after 13 minutes...............for god's sake. If the lad has any chance of making it at this level well that does shag all for his confidence and belief. His replacement Cunningham is on the subs bench for a College that got mullered in the Sigerson cup during the week, so maybe he's not quite ready for this level either

What positives are there..................McCabe back on to try and carry us for another year? Jonny Crowe came on as a blood sub, he might fill a blocker role when he gets fit.

Bottom line is that we would have our hands full with a fair few of the division 3 teams. Meeting the Dubs and all that upper body strength worries me.
Undefeated at the Polo Grounds

BallyhaiseMan

we are indeed a division 3 team,and only a middle of the pack one aswell.

we are out of our depth in division two with this team.

unless we tighten up severly

Dublin could put 5/6 goals past us and hockey us out of breffini.

AC
consider yourself fortunate you werent there,getting charged 13 Euro  >:( for that shambles.

BallyhaiseMan

Positives for me

Good to see Johnny Crowe back involved.

Darren Rabbitte was named as a sub.

with Michael Hannon,Mark McKeever,Ronan Flanagan,Dermot McCabe, Sean Brady, Gerard Pierson and Hopefully Ray Cullivan(Around April possibely)

to come back we should be a fair bit stronger.

uh also, uhm, ok thats it.

boshiba

mylestheslasher

I was going to do a proper report player by player but I don't think it would be fair on everyone as what we are is a complete disorganised, directionless and poorly motivated rabble that no player could really shine in. No one knew what they were supposed to be at last night. We might be an average team but even average teams can have a plan and can set themselves up to be competitive. Donal Keoghan is probably the most clueless manager we have ever had - and I don't say that lightly. I seen Pierson in the crowd, I heard that Walsh left because other players were on the piss and not putting in the work. We need every player back in this panel immediately so that they can get fit for championship. I am talking Walsh, Gaynor and whoever else because this Cavan team will NOT win one game in Div 2. They will not beat Antrim either. We can not rely on youngsters like Martin Reilly and Barry Waters - it is simply not fair on them. There was not one positive to take from last night and I am deadly serious about that.I am totally depressed with that pathetic performance. With that team/management setup I can't see us being withing 10 points of Dublin next outing.

cavanmaniac

Jesus. I didn't fancy us to get anything out of the game but given the derby status, Monaghan's tendency to struggle against us and the fact we'd done ok to a point in Armagh, a hammering was the last thing I expected.

It's now clear that if we don't get a performance and salvage some pride against Dublin - and ac39 is right to be worried about their upper body strength - Keoghan is going nowhere with this team. We'll be murdered.

BallyhaiseMan

Westmeath fair tanked Armagh, just goes to put our moral victory in the loss against Armagh in perspective,They played us off the park and they themselves arent much good as they showed today.

McKeever should be back against Dublin, and i can see McCabe starting at Midfield alongside Mulvey.

team id start against Dubs if possible

1.James Reily
2.Dermot Sheridan
3.Darren Rabbitte
4.Michael Hannon
5.John McCutcheon
6.Padraig Reily
7.Mark McKeever
8.Dermot McCabe
9.Lorcan Mulvey
10.Anthony Forde
11.Sean Brady
12.Keith Fannin
13.Gerard Pierson
14.Seanie Johnston
15.Ronan Flanagan.

Withdraw
Flanagan, Forde and Fannin back into Defense,
Two man full forward line
and crowd Dublin out, only shot we have at competing with them.

Cavanfan

BHM your taking out Reilly and Lyng from that attack. Reilly had one poor game(things didn't just go right) and I don't think Lyng had that poor a game. No poorer than anybody else. I agree with Hannon being back in and will McCabe be fit for a full game just yet? He's not that long back in with the team. They tried the two man full forward line on Sat and it didn't seem to work either so not sure if it will against Dub.

footballmad

BHM what are you talking about, What has sean brady done to get a start? You could drop the following from last nights performance.

Podge...Jap destroyed him in the first half
Mulvey was crap, see him walking away from woods.
Ford was terrible
Sheridan..what did he do?

Also rabbit hasnt played any football since the gaels ulster club,you want him to start on someone like alan brogan?good call....  Pierson has a pulled hamstring, he should be flying in 2 weeks...not..... Big dermot has about 3 weeks training done since the county final,great idea starting him!.

Hannon did well when introduced, should have been starting!

As for lyng, thought he did ok,at least he can pass the ball to johnston not like the other headers...Mad eddie..need i say more!

As for the dubs game, alot of work needed!

Homer

Hard to know where to go from there  :-[

Having said that I for one had really underestimated that Monaghan team, they probably have the best midfield pairing in the country whereas we all knew how ill-equipped Cavan are in this area.

The only white hope was the return of Dermot McCabe who actually contested a few balls when he came on, hopefully he will be fit to start a game fairly soon and along with McKeever coming in we can produce some remediation.

On another note the u21s won again yesterday against Fermanagh didn't hear anything of the lineout though.

mylestheslasher

Lads - I said it already but it is pointless complaining about a players individual performance in a game like that. Cavan had absolutely no game plan. They did not have a clue what to do when Monaghan dropped men back. They were moving players into different positions every 5 minutes. Monaghan had a plan. They were going to use a running game from deep (was a flawed plan btw cos if the put the ball in faster they would have beaten us by 20 points) and they were going to get men behind the ball and around Johnstone. Our lads looked like a team that had never even heard of these tactics even though half the teams in Ireland are using them. Added to that we are not fit (maybe we are in stamina terms, but not in speeed endurance), we are not strong enough and a large number of players didn't seem up for it.

Someone said Forde did nothing yesterday. Well you must have been at another match cos he ran himself ragged chasing other players men around the pitch - if the others had been motivated the same way maybe we could have put up a fight.

The subbing of gaffney was another total f**k up by the genius Keoghan. Now I am not sure if he is good enough at this level but he is making a step up and surely deserves more than 10 minutes to make it before Mr f**king Genius Keoghan crushes his confidence. As it happens he is short of pace (so is McCabe) but he got his hands to a lot of kick outs (failing to hold on due to nervousness I would guess) and he also got himself into scoring positions (missed again probably due to nerves). Pierce MCKenna was very similar when he started with the county but many of us would like to seem him back in the team again now. Maybe the great DK has a load of ready made midfielders around the county to come in there instead so he doen't have  to worry about Gaffney!!

It is the managers roll to a) Have a game plan b)Motivate players c) Have the team fit to play. d)Pick the right players in the right positions. For me Keoghan does not tick one of those boxes. He is going to be found out now cos without Grimley he doesn't have anyone to help him. It is hard to see how this can all be turned around.

cavanmaniac

Going by the tone of footballmad's comments to BHman, I think there's a few hoganstand refugees making their way here.

It just couldn't last...

cavan4ever

Quote from: Thastheball on February 19, 2008, 09:08:39 AM
Descartes, perhaps our players are shite as well as the manager. How long does it take you to realise how shite our players are ....20 years ;) we had a good man last year in Grimley and it did not make one ounce of difference...come championship we lost as usual. \interesting Grimley got out as quick as he could. George cartwright is not to blame for Keogan, he wanted Cassidy....Liam Mc Cabe and our now retired treasurer are to blame for Keogan...you can take that to the bank

The majority are just good club footballers and wouldn't get a look in most other counties.  As for the Manager he wouldn't get a job with a Division 5 or 6 team.

mylestheslasher

Quote from: Thastheball on February 19, 2008, 09:08:39 AM
Descartes, perhaps our players are shite as well as the manager. How long does it take you to realise how shite our players are ....20 years ;) we had a good man last year in Grimley and it did not make one ounce of difference...come championship we lost as usual. \interesting Grimley got out as quick as he could. George cartwright is not to blame for Keogan, he wanted Cassidy....Liam Mc Cabe and our now retired treasurer are to blame for Keogan...you can take that to the bank

A very over simplified opinion if you ask me. Are Cavans players any more shite than say Sligo (Connaught Champs) or Wicklow (Tommy Murphy Cup) etc. We are no world beaters for sure but the right man in charge can get the best out of this team and that is simply not happening at the moment. Do you think subbing a new player after 10 minutes is a good way to build team morale and player confidence?? Removing players from the panel and then bringing them back only to cut one of them 1 week later? The ridiculous comments on Larry Reilly? Walsh quiting the panel cos the effort isn't going in? I could go on...