Official Cavan GAA Thread

Started by BallyhaiseMan, November 10, 2006, 01:47:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PhilsJemmysField

Denn Forever

Fintan Reilly?

Maybe he shouldn't have been so hasty but can understand why he withdrew.

No worries about an outfield player playing in goal.

Come on  Cavan.

Cavan (FL v Tipperary) - Keith Fannin; Damien Barkey, Damien Reilly, Ronan Flanagan; Barry Waters, Padraic O'Reilly, Robert Maloney Derham; David Givney, Gearoid McKiernan; Niall Smith, Mark McKeever, Kevin Meehan; Brendan Fitzpatrick, Niall McDermott, Martin Dunne.

I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

Richiej

1-3 to 0-3 in favour of Cavan after 7 mins Dunne 1-1

Richiej

Westside

2-6 to 0-6 at half time. Bud sent off for a second yellow, poor decision by the ref apparently. Brian Jones then got a straight red for a closed fist high tackle. Sounds like Cavan were well on top and then lost their way a bit after the sending off.

Need to push on in the second half and not try to defend our lead.

Westside

Finishes 4-10 to 0-14. Dunne x 2, McKeever and Watters with the goals. Seems we gave away an awful lot of frees. Good to see us rattle in a few goals.

Well done to the players and managment.

cogito

Fair play to the lads. I would say that is the first time we have got back-to-back wins in a while!

Big call having Keith Fannin in goals. Did he have much to do?

mylestheslasher

Well done to the team and management. Scoring 4-10 is also very encouraging as it shows we do have a spread of decent forwards and banging in a few goals is also a good sign. I believe fannin was solid in goals. Onward and upward!

Denn Forever

Very comprehensive report on the game from dachubba on HS.

Was at match today, first in a long time. It was always going to be a Cavan win. Tipp were not there to compete at all. The four goals were excellent and well deserved. But i had a few observations.

Cavan have a very porous defence. Tipp were able to run at them comfortably, when they bothered. I noticed that Cavan do not get back in numbers as quick as most teams, maybe it was the big pitch. But they seemed to rather try to outscore Tipp rather than inhibit. Some sloppy tackling led to some easy frees, and the ref was difficult to understand sometimes. I'm mindful of the top teams in how they inhibit teams and create/take scores in opportunistic situations. while today was not a barometer for Cavan's progression, It is possible that any team with a great free-taker could beat Cavan on their own, as we'll find out in the summer.
Is there not a recognised goalkeeper in the squad? ( Can someone tell me the craic there) but Keith Fannin done very well, so kudos to him. I noticed that the midfield tried to palm the ball to a teammate on the kickout, which is the right thing to do most of the time. Cavan have two good midfielders, might have two great ones if they keep at it.
One major observation today was the impact of Mark Mckeever. He seems to do the right thing all the time, and plays football at a faster pace than some of the other lads. Alot of the good attacking went through him, it is essential that he be available to setup attacks after a turnover, great passer. but there is no-one in the half-backs to setup attacks in my opinion. Although players 5-7 ran through once or twice with the odd score, this should be done on a routine basis.
full back line were never gonna concede a goal, but i'd hate to see a high ball going in there in the future. cavan do not have the firepower to recover from early goals, so a ruthless full-back line should put it up to Murphy and McFadden in the championship, Murphy got a great early goal last weekend (<1 min). Watch out for the early goal come the summer.
As i said, midfielders were good. Givney has a great catch and McKiernan too. one or two great runs by them both really were excellent to watch. I have great hopes for them.
Number 10 should spend his entire game running at the defence, he was excellent when it happened. either a score or a free will produce if he gets the ball 40 yards from goal. As i said McKeever is the lynchpin. And Kevin Meehan should operate out in midfield at the breakdown, he done it a few times and a pity he doesnt get stuck in there more often, i didnt see enough of it.
We were treated to some absolute crackers today, four super goals. a couple of bad wides, but not uncommon. what worries me is that can Cavan produce 4 goals again? The Dubs seem to score goals all the time (hence All-Ireland Champions), so can we do the same? With the pace of football going to pick up in a few weeks, i hope Cavan can score goals, cos they do not play quick enough. too much running into tackles and no support. They played the width of the pitch sometimes today and it really benefited. our wing forwards and backs really must have their skates on as they could cause problems to any defence, i.e. number 10.

That's my two cents... Anyone else at the game please let me know what ye thought.
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

BigMac

I don't know what kind of clowns write the articles for the Hoganstand, I know I shouldn't expect much better, but it is almost as bad as the Celt for getting the names wrong! I presume Stephen Jordan wasn't trying to block Martin Dunnes shot on goal, and can anyone clear up who was sent off for Cavan? I'm guessing it wasn't "corner back Brendan Fitzgerald"?
http://www.hoganstand.com/Cavan/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=164008

Swadman

"Is there not a recognised goalkeeper in the squad? ( Can someone tell me the craic there) but Keith Fannin done very well, so kudos to him."
In reply to Denn F
Heard a rumor today that we had another goalkeeper walkout. It seems no-one wants to be a sub keeper.

mylestheslasher

Quote from: BigMac on March 12, 2012, 06:57:43 PM
I don't know what kind of clowns write the articles for the Hoganstand, I know I shouldn't expect much better, but it is almost as bad as the Celt for getting the names wrong! I presume Stephen Jordan wasn't trying to block Martin Dunnes shot on goal, and can anyone clear up who was sent off for Cavan? I'm guessing it wasn't "corner back Brendan Fitzgerald"?
http://www.hoganstand.com/Cavan/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=164008

Bud fitz was sent off but obviously he was corner forward.

mylestheslasher

Cavan bet by Offaly. 9-5 up at half time and bet 1-10 to 0-11, Offaly played most of the 2nd half with 14 men. Gearoid McKiernan stretchered off. I am sure there will be some "supporters" happy with the result none the less.

rodney trotter

So much for getting some form going... losing to Offaly at home ffs. Mckiernan out for a few months aswell - big loss.

BallyhaiseMan

I swear to fu**king god i am not going back to a Cavan match with this f**king management in charge.
Cavan in total control 10-7 up,Offaly get one of their corner backs sent off,and Cavan somehow manage to allow Offaly to slice them open at will with runners coming through the middle and channels.
Is there any coaching or gameplan?
Do the management team know what either of those things are?
Niall McNamee when introduced made a big difference,but this is the poorest Offaly team i've seen in my lifetime.

Keith Fannin's kickouts were mostly ok,he does a better job at placing them than Miller.

Damien Barkey played ok,I think he moved onto McNamee near the end.

DJ at full back was solid enough,

Ronan Flanagan played very well and was good in attack and defence.

Barry Watters was ok,he wasn't involved terribly much,

Ciaran Galligan started at Centre Back wearing number 27,he played well outside his shooting which was poor.

Podge was ok,his lack of mobility showed at times in the second half when Offaly started running at us at pace.

David Givney, one of his poorer games for Cavan,didn't contribute nearly enough.

Gearoid as Rodney said,got badly injured in the first half.

Niall Smith,played well,carried the ball well and worked hard.

Mark McKeever, completely at sea, his man John Moloney the number 6 caused us heaps of problems,running forward kicking 0-2 in the first half.
His passing was all over the place.

Kevin Meehan, I don't think wing forward suits him,He played brilliant stuff with the Gaels in the full forward line last year.
The management hasn't managed to get his undoubted talent to show at senior level yet.

Bud Fitzpatrick, kicked a good score,worked hard,even if he did take the wrong option at times.

Niall McDermott, Good first half,but poor second,I don't think hes an option as a target man at full forward and would be better suited towards the corner.

Martin Dunne,Looked lively,like most of the others played well in the first half,,he was crowded out of it in the second half when Offaly took over and Cavan chased the game.

Subs
Sean Mc Cormack, Sean mixed the good with the bad, he looked good at times,but his ball handling let him down on 3 occasions.

Conor McClarey wasn't on long enough to judge.

Niall Murray, same as McClarey.

We played some good football at times,but completely switched off at 10-7 up playing against 14 men.
It is completely bewildering.
This Cavan team has Dissociative identity disorder.