Diving in our game

Started by slippery dodger, February 17, 2018, 09:04:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thewobbler

Culturally among players, it's an acceptable form of cheating.

Every team in history has feigned injury in the closing minutes of a match when protecting a lead.

Every team has players who react to a dig by lying down, just as every team will have players who react with red mist, and most teams will have players who know how to target red mist opponents.

Most teams will have some variation of the momentum killer policy, whereby a key player crumbles in a heap, if 2, 3 or 4 consecutive scores are conceded.

So if all (or, at least, nearly all) teams are guilty of abusing the rulebook in this regard, and can't really condem other teams for it, then it's pretty much impossible for a referee to control it.

Hence it's a cultural problem. One of which I'd have no clue how to fix.

Jinxy

If you were any use you'd be playing.

westbound

Quote from: Jinxy on February 19, 2018, 09:13:03 AM
In fairness, I think it's very difficult for the ref to adjudicate on 'feigning a foul or injury' in real-time.
However, if Farragher's red card is overturned, by default the Moorefield full-back is guilty of the above and should be dealt with accordingly.

The punishment for feigning injury is a yellow card.  I'm sure the full back won't be too concerned about getting a retrospective yellow card!!

mup

I'm going to be the devils advocate here and ask did he feign injury?

Is it possible that Farraghers knee/leg connected with his head somewhat and he got injured as a result? BTW I'm not suggesting it was a sending off because it certainly wasn't.

I'm just asking if the above is a possibility?

Taylor

Quote from: mup on February 19, 2018, 11:41:00 AM

Is it possible that Farraghers knee/leg connected with his head somewhat and he got injured as a result? BTW I'm not suggesting it was a sending off because it certainly wasn't.

If his knee/leg had connected it is possible. But it is clear there was no contact

mup

Quote from: Taylor on February 19, 2018, 11:43:07 AM

If his knee/leg had connected it is possible. But it is clear there was no contact

I don't think anyone could say with a degree of certainty that there was no contact.

Main Street

Quote from: Jinxy on February 19, 2018, 11:08:14 AM
Manliness 101.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T24eXGRZKv4
He was sent off though,  talk about a fussy ref.

In Ulster where real manliness was respected by the ref, that would be regarded as a tickle to the face.
Monaghan's Michael O'Dowd's right hook, Ulster final 1988.

https://youtu.be/a0iR1mIRm-Q?t=1244

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Duine Eile on February 18, 2018, 11:16:49 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on February 18, 2018, 11:10:46 PM
It's down to the ref to sort it out! If he's close enough to the play then he'd know and dish out a card for feigning an injury!

what's more annoying is he'd four umpires and two linesmen plus a fourth official doing the time, how any of them didn't have a word is beyond me! They are all wired and chat continually throughout the game

Was it not the linesmans version of events that got Farragher sent off? I was at the game and thought I saw them conferring about it at the time.

They'll always speak to someone else just to see what angle they got on it. I've ref'd a game where 2 men were sent off for striking (different times) and it was the linesmen that brought it to my attention, straight red no compalining either, but I was aware of it until the linesman signalled me, but in this case I thought the ref had a good view on it..

If there was VAR at these games then you'd be sorted.. I hope the GAA doesnt go down that route to be honest, Hawkeye is fine, but as a ref I would hate to stop start a game
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Jinxy

Quote from: mup on February 19, 2018, 11:55:43 AM

I don't think anyone could say with a degree of certainty that there was no contact.

Yeah, it's hard to see but initially I gave him the benefit of the doubt as they only had footage from one angle which wasn't great.
Any contact at all with your head tends to result in a pretty visceral response.
I got a slight, glancing blow off a cupboard door the other day and I let a roar that would wake the dead.

Orchard park

Quote from: Jinxy on February 19, 2018, 12:14:06 PM

Yeah, it's hard to see but initially I gave him the benefit of the doubt as they only had footage from one angle which wasn't great.
Any contact at all with your head tends to result in a pretty visceral response.
I got a slight, glancing blow off a cupboard door the other day and I let a roar that would wake the dead.

did your Mrs send off the door though ???

Jinxy

She accused me of feigning injury.

mup

Quote from: Jinxy on February 19, 2018, 12:14:06 PM

That would be my thinking on it too. A glance of a knee can be sore and now with all the head injury issues then the physio's were more than careful just in case. I think the player here is being wrongly vilified.

The ref simply messed up.

rosnarun

a ref should never send off a player for some thing he or a linesman are not 100% sure they saw and they could not have seen a blow to the head in this case .
they just assumed by the players reaction.
what really swung it for me were hr team mate standing beside the incident they made one half harted appeal . had he really got a blow their reaction would have be a lot  more pronounced and direct
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

mup

Quote from: rosnarun on February 19, 2018, 12:23:10 PM
a ref should never send off a player for some thing he or a linesman are not 100% sure they saw and they could not have seen a blow to the head in this case .
they just assumed by the players reaction.
what really swung it for me were hr team mate standing beside the incident they made one half harted appeal . had he really got a blow their reaction would have be a lot  more pronounced and direct

I just think there is no telling from the footage that the player did not get a blow to the head however accidental it may have been.

Captain Scarlet

Obviously the Moorefield lads are coming out defending their player and saying he was glanced by the knee. They are very riled by ray Silke calling him out, which is a bit rich considering Lundy was one of the worst I've ever seen.
On top of that, on Saturday a Corofin man went down holding his face when he gort hit in the chest along the sideline. Ray didn't comment on that either.

What I am saying is that no team can jump on the high horse here. Most clubs and counties have lads that will go down holding their heads while peeking out the side of their eye waiting to see the colour of the card.
It's nothing new either and if they imposed the rules across the board it might stop, or just cause a shitshow of appeals...
them mysterons are always killing me but im grand after a few days.sickenin aul dose all the same.