All Ireland Football Final 2017 Mayo V Dublin

Started by never kickt a ball, August 27, 2017, 07:24:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Real Talk

Quote from: blanketattack on September 18, 2017, 10:18:08 PM
Quote from: Il Bomber Destro link=topic=28129.msg1737831#msg1737831
Andy Moran has now lost 6 All Ireland finals and won none.

Quote from: blanketattack on September 18, 2017, 10:20:41 PM
Quote from: Wildweasel74 on September 18, 2017, 06:24:41 PM
OShea had run out steam last 15mins but but Mayo didnt try him on the full forward line where he could drew fouls! Probably need a new midfielder and corner bck next year with S OShea and Higgins coming off the bench! Likely need to look at a playmaking center half with A OShea pushed into the full forward line! A Moran should be footballer of the year but only Jim McKeever even got one been in a team which lost the All Ireland! Moran been the best player this year!

Bernard Brogan 2010

Yea ... Andy Moran was brilliant all year saw him live in Castlebar (v Derry) and yesterday in Croker.  A real 'role model' strong, skilful, great team player and very disciplined

Lost 5? Was injured In 2012

Itchy

Quote from: Syferus on September 18, 2017, 09:47:30 PM
Quote from: shark on September 18, 2017, 08:57:02 PM
Quote from: Syferus on September 18, 2017, 08:50:32 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on September 18, 2017, 08:37:14 PM
Happened to be in the Citywest hotel today with work and it would have broke your heart to see those lads get on the bus to head home... fair play to the fans that stayed and tried to raise their spirits but it was like a morgue. They might make it back but you can only put your body and mind through the mill so many times

I honestly don't get this stuff.

I don't feel a bit sorry for the Mayo players, or their supporters. Lads in Ballagh I know were apparently in tears coming out, so was Rochford obviously. I've seen my county lose every single year, and 31 other counties besides Mayo fail every single championship as well. I had to watch for 60 plus minutes as my county played out a lost match in Croke Park against their biggest rivals, a week after nearly beating the same opponents. That was a much more crushing experience than losing to the best team in the sport by a single point. So what? This is the nature of support. You embrace both sides or you embrace none at all.

You suck it the fúck up and come back again next year. That's sport and getting lost in the emotion of Mayo's continual failure as if it isn't something nearly every other county experiences every year is the aspect of all this back-patting that gets lost. Whether you lose the AI by a point, or lose the first round of the Qualifiers by 20, you're still ending the year as a loser. Getting to a final qualifies you for no special treatment and Mayo would understand that better than most.

Last year, and this year, Mayo brought the losses on themselves. that's not me being hard-hearted, it's simply a fact. There's far more deserving counties than Mayo to break your heart over, because they have it better than all but a single county.

Losing a final is far more crushing than losing in an earlier round. I can't relate directly to Mayo as my county have never been in or close to an all-Ireland. But I do know that having lost 4 county senior finals as a player that it is significantly harder to take than being knocked out at an earlier stage. It's a pretty easy concept to understand.

Hardly, the manner is everything. At the end of the day if you make the final and lose by a point you can have little to complain about. It's a lot tougher to be a genuine supporter in Leitrim or Carlow or Cavan than Mayo.

You think your a smart boy sphillis but you just show up your own stupidity and your clear lack of ever playing the game at any level worth talking about. Losing on the biggest day is way harder than losing in a group stage match - anyone who ever engaged their brain knows that. You are so jealous of Mayo you are even now trying to say that there is more sorrow in Roscommon. Sorry lad, you don't even win in the sorrow stakes either.

Mayo are fighters and will be back again next year.

Champion The Wonder Horse

29 counties in Ireland wishing they had Harrison, Higgins, Keegan, Barrett, Boyle, Parsons, O'Shea, McLoughlin et al lining out for them. Warriors carried out on their shields.

Yesterday's game was magnificent, absolutely magnificent.

Lar Naparka

Happened to be in the Citywest hotel today with work and it would have broke your heart to see those lads get on the bus to head home... fair play to the fans that stayed and tried to raise their spirits but it was like a morgue. They might make it back but you can only put your body and mind through the mill so many times

I don't feel a bit sorry for the Mayo players, or their supporters. Lads in Ballagh I know were apparently in tears coming out, so was Rochford obviously. I've seen my county lose every single year, and 31 other counties besides Mayo fail every single championship as well. I had to watch for 60 plus minutes as my county played out a lost match in Croke Park against their biggest rivals, a week after nearly beating the same opponents. That was a much more crushing experience than losing to the best team in the sport by a single point. So what? This is the nature of support. You embrace both sides or you embrace none at all.

You suck it the fúck up and come back again next year. That's sport and getting lost in the emotion of Mayo's continual failure as if it isn't something nearly every other county experiences every year is the aspect of all this back-patting that gets lost. Whether you lose the AI by a point, or lose the first round of the Qualifiers by 20, you're still ending the year as a loser. Getting to a final qualifies you for no special treatment and Mayo would understand that better than most.

Last year, and this year, Mayo brought the losses on themselves. that's not me being hard-hearted, it's simply a fact. There's far more deserving counties than Mayo to break your heart over, because they have it better than all but a single county.

Losing a final is far more crushing than losing in an earlier round. I can't relate directly to Mayo as my county have never been in or close to an all-Ireland. But I do know that having lost 4 county senior finals as a player that it is significantly harder to take than being knocked out at an earlier stage. It's a pretty easy concept to understand.

Hardly, the manner is everything. At the end of the day if you make the final and lose by a point you can have little to complain about. It's a lot tougher to be a genuine supporter in Leitrim or Carlow or Cavan than Mayo.
Please Syf, go away and stop spouting shite.
You said earlier that  "I honestly don't get this stuff" and yet went on and on as if you were an expert on the subject. Wait until Ross gets to the final and loses it by a whisker a few times on the trot and you might change your mind.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

Lar Naparka

Quote from: blanketattack on September 18, 2017, 10:20:41 PM
Quote from: Wildweasel74 on September 18, 2017, 06:24:41 PM
OShea had run out steam last 15mins but but Mayo didnt try him on the full forward line where he could drew fouls! Probably need a new midfielder and corner bck next year with S OShea and Higgins coming off the bench! Likely need to look at a playmaking center half with A OShea pushed into the full forward line! A Moran should be footballer of the year but only Jim McKeever even got one been in a team which lost the All Ireland! Moran been the best player this year!

Bernard Brogan 2010
Lee Keegan last year.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

Il Bomber Destro

2016 - Keegan
2010 - Brogan
2003 - McDonnell
1995 - Canavan

Syferus

Quote from: Lar Naparka on September 18, 2017, 10:59:08 PM

Please Syf, go away and stop spouting shite.
You said earlier that  "I honestly don't get this stuff" and yet went on and on as if you were an expert on the subject. Wait until Ross gets to the final and loses it by a whisker a few times on the trot and you might change your mind.

I'd take it in a heartbeat over what we have. So would probably every county in Ireland bar Kerry and Dublin. You and Itchy having a competition to fall over yourselves to shout me down doesn't change the fact you have it very fùcking good.

Sorry, but regret and pity is not reserved for the second best team in Ireland. You're in the wrong racket if you think it is.

Rossfan

Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Wildweasel74

G the roscommon posters hatred/ bitterness of Mayo comes to tbe fore after a Mayo defeat,

seafoid

Mayo don't have the forwards to put teams away so while they do win games they have to grind out the win and the opposition always have a chance.

After 70 minutes it becomes binary for Mayo. Binary means flipping a coin.  They can't get far enough ahead. They get sucked into something they can't control.  Key players run out of gas.  Cillian O Connor may miss a free. The kickouts may or may not work.

They had this in 2 of the qualifiers (going to extra time) and with Kerry and the Dubs.   When it becomes binary they have no control. They get dragged into dogfights . They may win. They may not.
--------

Mayo were in cruise control for the first 20 minutes of the half but they've been dragged back into a dog fight. Who can hold their nerve in Limerick now? 

81 mins Cork 2-19 Mayo 0-24

The defining 10 minutes of the summer for these teams throws in. Kevin O'Driscoll tries his luck from distance but clocks up Cork's 14th wide of the game. 

83 mins Cork 2-19 Mayo 0-26

Keith Higgins shows tremendous energy as he bursts through the Cork rearguard. He has options left and right but fists over the bar to make it all square. Diarmuid O'Connor follows that up with a gorgeous score, cutting across the ball from the right to split the posts and put Mayo ahead.

85 mins Cork 2-19 Mayo 0-27

Cillian O'Connor makes no mistake with the 45. Mayo go two points ahead.

89 mins Cork 2-20 Mayo 0-27

Mayo playing keep-ball. Ruairi Deane is penalised for a foul on the right touchline; Cork management spills on to the pitch in protest at that decision. Alan Dillon kicks the free into Cork hands though!

90 + 1 mins Cork 2-20 Mayo 0-27

Cork keep coming. They work an opening for Sean White but the Clonakilty man sends it wide. Three minutes of injury time.
----------

Cork could have gotten the draw.   Cork could have won. Cork had 14 wides. Fifty fifty. Mayo  ground out the win.
----------------'
The team is getting older but they should be able to give it another rattle next year by focusing on 70+ and what would make it work for Mayo. Tactical substitutions to have the legs at the key time. Kicking off the weak foot is another attention to detail thing . What else can they do to control 70+?  They are definitely good enough otherwise.

Fógra: all the pundits in June  talking about the top 3. Dubs Kerry and Tyrone.
And Tyrone . 

magpie seanie

I have no grá for Mayo but I think Andy Moran should have got POTY to be honest. Every game I was saying "he'll get found out today" but he didn't and was excellent again on Sunday. So crucial to Mayo, they've no one else who can attempt to do what he does. He might get the Allstars one.

The qualifiers have rehabbed this Mayo team a few times and it can happen again. It will be woeful hard for them next season but if they don't get beaten twice before the super 8's they'll be there or thereabouts again. The age profile should worry them but getting one or two lads through in a league campaign is not unusual for big counties with large player bases.

Kurtz

Quote from: Gold on September 18, 2017, 09:17:15 PM
Andy Moran is the POTY by a country mile.

McCarthy has a good 2nd half in a final (2 great points and a good fetch) and suddenly (like MDMA the other year) there is a clamour for him to be POTY

Had Doherty buried the goal Moran put on a plate for him there would be no talk of McCarthy and Moran would be the only contender

Moran had close to a perfect game...missed one shot...everything else perfection...turning on a sixpence and laying on goal chances...he lies deep and is the fulcrum of everything they do up front...as clear a POTY as you could get. Cooper and McMahon and Mick Fitz were hanging out of him off the ball but he still was 1st to the ball

If he retires Mayo are fcuked...id be begging him back

And taking him off?! Madness....as a FF you get a rest and recover...its not like hes out running in the midfield...one more ball won, turn and shoot or lay off for a goal and Mayo may have won...theyd no one else capable when he went off

And Donie Vaughan.... :'(

I think Dublin still would have come back if Doherty had scored the goal.
They dominated the final 15 minutes and if needed would have scored two or three goals

Kurtz

Quote from: Tubberman on September 18, 2017, 07:43:49 PM
Quote from: From the Bunker on September 18, 2017, 07:10:18 PM
Quote from: SouthDublinBro on September 18, 2017, 07:07:09 PM
Quote from: Rudi on September 18, 2017, 02:25:29 PM
The treatment Rock got in the lead up to taking the final free was shocking. The Mayo supporters and 2 nearest players behaved disgracefully.

Well said. Talk all you want about the Dubs, at least we don't two-facedly play the tragic victim card while at the same time constantly showing a lack of class in booing opposition free-takers.

It's hard to feel sorry for Mayo fans.

Seeing we are on the high victory moral ground, Any comment on O'Gara's Gauge or Face rake?

Or the cynical synchronised pulling down of mayo players after Rock's last free? You can be a classless winner as well you know

Mayo did it to Kerry in the semi final
Its always been part of the game
Actually, it was worse 20 years ago
So get over yourself stop whinging

pbat

There has been a lot talked about and been wrote on the age of the Mayo which is justified I totally understand it. 

But the Dubs required 4 subs on Sunday over 30 ( Flynn, Connolly, Mc Manamon and Brogan) to get them over the line.Add to this that by next years championship the ages of the players below:
Cluxton 36,
O Suvillian 30,
Daly 30,
Mc Mahon 31,
Bastick 37,
Mc Auley 32,
Andrews 30,
O Gara 32

They can probably go to the well maybe another two years but with all the resources can they replace this level of talent going forward if they start losing them en masse. 

Con O Callaghan is exceptional player, I like Lowndes and Costello but beyond that have they players to continue there dominance long term?

Will they be a Kerry of the 70's/80's, Meath late 80's/Early 90's, Armagh, Tyrone, Donegal of 2012. Great teams of there times that came together but ran the course together and died as a team together.  It took Kerry 15 years to recover, Meath, Armagh, Tyrone and Donegal have never really recovered.

There is a lot of discussion about Dublin's money, resources and facilities which I get and buy into to some extent. But I also believe this is a case of an exceptionally talented bunch of lads coming together at the same time and in a few years they wont be the dominant team they have been.

Tubberman

Quote from: Kurtz on September 19, 2017, 09:05:56 AM
Quote from: Tubberman on September 18, 2017, 07:43:49 PM
Quote from: From the Bunker on September 18, 2017, 07:10:18 PM
Quote from: SouthDublinBro on September 18, 2017, 07:07:09 PM
Quote from: Rudi on September 18, 2017, 02:25:29 PM
The treatment Rock got in the lead up to taking the final free was shocking. The Mayo supporters and 2 nearest players behaved disgracefully.

Well said. Talk all you want about the Dubs, at least we don't two-facedly play the tragic victim card while at the same time constantly showing a lack of class in booing opposition free-takers.

It's hard to feel sorry for Mayo fans.

Seeing we are on the high victory moral ground, Any comment on O'Gara's Gauge or Face rake?

Or the cynical synchronised pulling down of mayo players after Rock's last free? You can be a classless winner as well you know

Mayo did it to Kerry in the semi final
Its always been part of the game
Actually, it was worse 20 years ago
So get over yourself stop whinging

I'm not whinging - it was a response to a cheap classless dig from someone who should be enjoying a great victory rather than having an unnecessary kick at Mayo.
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."