Galway v donegal

Started by cornetto, July 18, 2017, 02:44:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cornetto

Does not seem to be any great interest in this game from both sets of supporters,as a galway man all's I want to see is them be competetive,if they bow out well and good.It has the makings of a good game,the positioning of Michael Murphy will be crucial good god the thought of him in the forward line,against our dodgy backline! The prize for a win for galway is kerry.A donegal win would give them ross/kerry.

seafoid

This is a big game for Kevin Walsh. 2 very bad defeats in 2016 and this year don't look good on the CV
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

BluestackBoy

I think there will be a good enough support there from Donegal. We saw glimmers of progress against Meath & will be hoping for another step forward for this young team against Galway.

Mind you if Donegal do beat Galway we will be waiting for the QF draw with bated breath, Kerry or Roscommon.......
For what shall it profit a man if he gains the whole world & loses his soul.

An Fhairche Abu

It's hard to be confident going into it given the manner of the Roscommon defeat, comprehensively beaten both on the pitch and on the sideline on the 9th.
Galway haven't played well in either of their championship clashes against Mayo or Roscommon, will there be any kick in them at all this summer? Galway also haven't scored a goal in 4 games since the Down match on the 26th of March either, no chance on Saturday if that isn't rectified.
This match will be like a home game for Donegal in terms of supporter numbers as well.

GalwayBayBoy

Absolutely zero chat about this game in Galway. I think many have lost faith in the team again to be honest and with festival season in full swing and the hurlers having a semi-final coming up they have fallen down the list of attractions this month. To be honest even if they were to somehow get over Donegal I think many are already fearing the booby prize of a hiding from Kerry in the quarter-finals.

Blowitupref

Quote from: seafoid on July 18, 2017, 04:20:22 PM
This is a big game for Kevin Walsh. 2 very bad defeats in 2016 and this year don't look good on the CV
And on the other hand a win against Mayo and Connacht title won 2016 and this year a win against Mayo and Div one promotion gained looks good on his CV.

I think this will be a similar game to the Meath v Donegal contest and it might even need extra time to separate the two.
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

Maroon Manc

Given what happened the last day I've barely thought about the game, its certainly dampened my enthusiasm for it.

Rossfan

Will that mindset extend to players and management I wonder?
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Syferus

Quote from: Rossfan on July 18, 2017, 07:48:46 PM
Will that mindset extend to players and management I wonder?

If Galway copy us last year they're going to turn up for this one in a catatonic state.

Duine Eile

Don't know what to think about this game to be honest, there's been so much hype about this team being on the up that they were never going to live up to it anyway but they really made a show of themselves against Roscommon, you'd hope that, along with the criticism after the Tipperary game last year, would be enough to motivate them to give a performance but I don't know. They're so flaky and unpredictable. I hear talk that Bernard Power is going to be in goal but I still wouldn't be surprised to see Lavelle there when the team is named. Based on current form I'd be going with Power to be honest, Ruairi is a better shot stopper but he doesn't have the presence in goal now, he's too slow to kick out, takes the wrong option and he doesn't organise his defence if he sees gaps in front of him. Having seen Power in action for Corofin in the 2 rounds of club championship played so far he's been assured at all times, he's roaring at his backs to get back in position if needed, he picks the player in space if he's going short and crucially he has a spare ball beside the goal ready for the kick out straight away, the length the kick outs took the last day was crazy. I'll be travelling more in hope than expectation but hopefully they'll go out and put some pride back in the jersey anyway.

galwayman

Who knows what to expect from this Galway team.
Consistency is not something they tend to bring to the table.
We were desperately poor in the Connacht final & if this game were played last weekend I think we'd have had very little chance.
We're capable of winning it but I don't think we will in all honesty.
I'm totally deflated after the last game and I'm only a supporter.
Not sure how the lads will react to it but you would imagine if you were involved in a team that put in a performance like that you'd be out to show you're a lot better than that.
Like I said though you never know what you're going to get with this team.
We do have a chance of winning but a lot depends on the intensity the players bring to the party on saturday.

cornetto

A piece from peter mc eniff former donegal manager.

McEniff View: Galway is a good draw and a game we can win
First of all Donegal are a Division One side and albeit Galway will play in Division One next season, they have been playing in the second division for the last few years.
As we saw last weekend against Roscommon, Galway may not be as good as they are cracked up to be.
They have shortcomings in the half and full-back lines and I feel we have forwards who, if given room, will cause problems.
I know we only scraped past Meath, but I felt we were the better team and I think we proved that the way we recovered when Meath went one up late on.
Ryan McHugh showed the leadership and after a few below par performances, he finished strong and was back to his best.
I was also impressed with Mark McHugh, too, when he came on. But overall I thought we had recovered from the Ulster semi-final defeat by Tyrone.
And I expect them to be even better in next weekend's game.
Caolan Ward and Eoghan Bán Gallagher have settled into the defence and the other boys at the back, Neil McGee, Paddy McGrath, Frank McGlynn and Ryan McHugh, have a wealth experience and are all playing well.
We have been doing well in midfield supplemented by Michael Murphy and Patrick McBrearty had a great game up front. He scored seven points including the late winner.

Seven points is a big score in a championship game and it is good to see Patrick coming into form; it could not be more timely.
The other big advantage we have is that we have two games in the QualifIers played and have the momentum.
Galway are having their first outing in the Qualifiers after losing to Roscommon by nine points. That is a right good trimming and there will be psychological damage done by that defeat to Roscommon.

seafoid

Donegal are a work in progress and a good bit off 2014 standard. A lot will depend on Galway's attitude. System collapse is a psychological thing . You would imagine that they would be motivated to perform and see how good they are against Kerry. 
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

magpie seanie

All Ireland U21C hurling final Sligo v Donegal as curtain raiser. Huge involvement from my club. Sligo will be underdogs though I'd imagine. Get there early.

BluestackBoy

Quote from: cornetto on July 19, 2017, 12:12:45 AM
A piece from peter mc eniff former donegal manager.

McEniff View: Galway is a good draw and a game we can win
First of all Donegal are a Division One side and albeit Galway will play in Division One next season, they have been playing in the second division for the last few years.
As we saw last weekend against Roscommon, Galway may not be as good as they are cracked up to be.
They have shortcomings in the half and full-back lines and I feel we have forwards who, if given room, will cause problems.
I know we only scraped past Meath, but I felt we were the better team and I think we proved that the way we recovered when Meath went one up late on.
Ryan McHugh showed the leadership and after a few below par performances, he finished strong and was back to his best.
I was also impressed with Mark McHugh, too, when he came on. But overall I thought we had recovered from the Ulster semi-final defeat by Tyrone.
And I expect them to be even better in next weekend's game.
Caolan Ward and Eoghan Bán Gallagher have settled into the defence and the other boys at the back, Neil McGee, Paddy McGrath, Frank McGlynn and Ryan McHugh, have a wealth experience and are all playing well.
We have been doing well in midfield supplemented by Michael Murphy and Patrick McBrearty had a great game up front. He scored seven points including the late winner.

Seven points is a big score in a championship game and it is good to see Patrick coming into form; it could not be more timely.
The other big advantage we have is that we have two games in the QualifIers played and have the momentum.
Galway are having their first outing in the Qualifiers after losing to Roscommon by nine points. That is a right good trimming and there will be psychological damage done by that defeat to Roscommon.

Peter McEniff?????
For what shall it profit a man if he gains the whole world & loses his soul.