Lee Keegan - Player of the year or spoiler of the year?

Started by Fuzzman, May 09, 2017, 03:31:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ballinaman

Quote from: Orchard park on November 22, 2017, 01:48:19 PM
Quote from: Syferus on November 22, 2017, 01:48:36 AM
Your foot and hip have been fecked, like hell are you 100% Lee. Hip injuries are just something you manage, you never get back the same again even in the best case scenario.

The MS stuff is disgusting, though.

Pat Carton in Whitfeld making a fair living out of claiming to get lads back 100% from hio surgery
Agree. Absolute cowboy of the highest order .

Link

Personally having went through a similar surgery with another orthopedic consultant, I was never promised 100%. I was given a detailed consultation, detailed report of MRI with the pros/cons of surgery and the choice was mine. I think the number was 60% chance of improvement, 15% of making it worse and 25% of the condition staying the same.

It took about 5/6 months for recovery. The result is an improvement but not back to 100%.

I would be surprised if any surgeon promised 100% each and every time. Some guys hips are that bad by the time the consultant gets near them that nothing can be done.

blewuporstuffed

I was in a similar situation and choose not to have the surgery. I was able to manage it for another 3/4 years before having to call time in my early 30s.
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

Cunny Funt

First off the rumours that was spread about Lee Keegan was disgusting. 

Surgery if all possible is avoided, He has said its because of wear and tear and Keegan is player that only had his first full season in the Mayo senior jersey in 2011 and unlike some players he played little underage football for his county matter of fact i don't think he ever played county minor so without looking to play the blame game its more than likely the over the top training that Keegan has been doing in the last 6 years that has resulted in both of his hips requiring surgery.

mrhardyannual

Quote from: Cunny Funt on November 23, 2017, 05:59:40 PM

Surgery if all possible is avoided, He has said its because of wear and tear and Keegan is player that only had his first full season in the Mayo senior jersey in 2011 and unlike some players he played little underage football for his county matter of fact i don't think he ever played county minor so without looking to play the blame game its more than likely the over the top training that Keegan has been doing in the last 6 years that has resulted in both of his hips requiring surgery.
On the surface you make a strong case. What you neglect to say is that Keegan played rugby extensively at underage level and it was touch and go as to whether he would take up the pro-rugby route or commit to GAA. His long term injuries could be traced to rugby as easily as "over the top training". The extended season he had last year with Westport didn't help but that's par for the course for players who commit to both club and county.

By all accounts Lee has been a glutton for training and as he ages he may learn like many others before him to train smartly. in this regard there's a good article on Kieran Fitz of Corofin in today's Indo who continues to play well at 37yrs of age. Liked how he described himself as the No 2 full-back in the household as his wife has two All Irelands with Galway Ladies in that position.

Keyser soze

People that come out with ballacks like this sicken my ****.

Link

Quote from: mrhardyannual on November 24, 2017, 10:21:43 AM

On the surface you make a strong case. What you neglect to say is that Keegan played rugby extensively at underage level and it was touch and go as to whether he would take up the pro-rugby route or commit to GAA. His long term injuries could be traced to rugby as easily as "over the top training". The extended season he had last year with Westport didn't help but that's par for the course for players who commit to both club and county.

By all accounts Lee has been a glutton for training and as he ages he may learn like many others before him to train smartly. in this regard there's a good article on Kieran Fitz of Corofin in today's Indo who continues to play well at 37yrs of age. Liked how he described himself as the No 2 full-back in the household as his wife has two All Irelands with Galway Ladies in that position.

Who also has had groin, ankle and hip operations. Possibly only has began to train smartly since these.

Rossfan

Quote from: Keyser soze on November 24, 2017, 10:32:45 AM

So other than using vile language have you any opinion on how he might have ended up needing surgery?
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Orchard park

most leading sports physios and Pat Carton differ greatly about the need for hip surgery.

Keyser soze

Quote from: Rossfan on November 24, 2017, 11:17:38 AM

So other than using vile language have you any opinion on how he might have ended up needing surgery?

No. I have exactly the same level of knowledge of you as to what may have caused his injuries......**** all squared.

Unlike you, I don't come on acting the knob and casting wild accusations without having the first clue what I am talking about. And have the nerve to start off by saying that you're not looking to lay blame.

Link

Quote from: Orchard park on November 24, 2017, 12:12:54 PM
most leading sports physios and Pat Carton differ greatly about the need for hip surgery.

Of course they do.

Constant physiotherapy to counteract FAI/labral tear problems pays physios a lot of money.
Surgery to potentially fix FAI/labral tear pays surgeons lots of money.

Successful surgery will lead to less trips to the physio. I'm sure Lee and the mayo physio team had a long time to think about getting both hips done. I would guess it is due to the conservative approach with physiotherapy failing over the few seasons.

Rossfan

Quote from: Keyser soze on November 24, 2017, 12:21:03 PM
Quote from: Rossfan on November 24, 2017, 11:17:38 AM

No. I have exactly the same level of knowledge of you as to what may have caused his injuries......**** all squared.

Unlike you, I don't come on acting the knob and casting wild accusations without having the first clue what I am talking about. And have the nerve to start off by saying that you're not looking to lay blame.
You're getting fairly mixed up on who said what ::)
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Captain Obvious

In fairness something is not right when a player just 28 and only 6 years playing for his senior county team requires double hip surgery.

mrhardyannual

Quote from: Captain Obvious on November 24, 2017, 05:39:59 PM

In fairness something is not right when a player just 28 and only 6 years playing for his senior county team requires double hip surgery.
Lee made his senior debut in 2011, featuring in all FBD  games, as a sub in NFL and again as sub in All Ireland Quarter and Semi Final. Since then he has been an automatic choice. He played county U21  in 2009 and 2010. He has played senior for his club since 2008 winning county Intermediate titles in 09 and 16. He has played in two Compromise Rules Series. Prior to committing to GAA in 2009 he was involved with Connacht Rugby and on the cusp of a pro-career. All in all he has been constantly on the go for over a decade. His cumulative game count is probably well ahead of average for someone who has played senior intercounty for a dozen years. How he has injured his hips is a matter of conjecture but hardly surprising given the number of games he has played and the mileage he has covers in each game.

Blowitupref

Quote from: mrhardyannual on November 24, 2017, 10:38:58 PM
Lee made his senior debut in 2011, featuring in all FBD  games, as a sub in NFL and again as sub in All Ireland Quarter and Semi Final. Since then he has been an automatic choice. He played county U21  in 2009 and 2010. He has played senior for his club since 2008 winning county Intermediate titles in 09 and 16. He has played in two Compromise Rules Series. Prior to committing to GAA in 2009 he was involved with Connacht Rugby and on the cusp of a pro-career. All in all he has been constantly on the go for over a decade. His cumulative game count is probably well ahead of average for someone who has played senior intercounty for a dozen years. How he has injured his hips is a matter of conjecture but hardly surprising given the number of games he has played and the mileage he has covers in each game.

Lee Keegan himself didn't think so in a interview last year.

QuoteI just wasn't big enough for Rugby really, in the end-up. I was looking at the Irish under-20s the other night and I'm like a child compared to them. I would have been grand playing it away for fun but there was no chance really of me coming through the Connacht academy and making it as a professional. I wouldn't have had the physique for it.
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose