Cork v Kerry 2nd July 2pm

Started by Fuzzman, June 28, 2017, 02:34:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zulu

If Cork, winners of a number senior All Irelands and a number of other ones at various levels, were never up to much then very few were ever up to much. There's no doubt most of their problems are off the pitch though they've a good few average players at this point too.

Maroon Manc

Quote from: Gael85 on July 04, 2017, 09:18:49 AM
Quote from: Maroon Manc on July 02, 2017, 07:08:52 PM
All far too easy for Kerry today, Cork just a mess all over the pitch and are clearly clueless under a manager who is worrying so far out of his depth. Cork appeared to have no plan on their own kickouts and gave it away time and time again. Cork looked dangerous when they ran at Kerry, probably created enough goal chances to worry Fitzmaurice.

Corks full forward line was useless, I've seen Luke Connolly play several times now and I just don't see what he offers, a big lad with limited ability. Does that Coakley play for Judes in Dublin? He looked way out if his depth and its hard to believe that a county the size of Cork were relying on those 2 for scores. Nobody will be worried about playing them in the qualifiers, their a shambles and the worst Cork team I've ever seen.

Coakley plays senior with Judes. He looked like a junior play on Sunday. Don't think Connolly usually plays full forward, you could be thinking Peter Kelliher? He's a big unit but didn't play Sunday. It looks like injuries have caught up with Colm O'Neill.

I know Kelleher, he's another one who looks to have gone backwards but in fairness he's only 21/22.

Kuwabatake Sanjuro

Conolly was full forward for them in the league this year, they were the worst team Kildare played in division 2, I don't know how they managed to stay up.

Frank Casey

Two points. Cork under 21's beat Kerry in 2011/2 by 20+ points. Eight of that Kerry team played Sunday. I think three of the Cork team. WHO LEARNED MOST?.. Second, heard a month ago that CB were so worried about Kerry cramping the pairc ui caoimh opening that they engineered a delay to take the game to Killarney and not jinx the pairc
KERRY 3:7

Il Bomber Destro

Quote from: Ciarrai_thuaidh on July 04, 2017, 03:57:12 PM
Just so people are fully aware of the current situation in Cork football, the current Cork Senior football management is comprised of the following: (Be cogniscent here of the fact that on the surface the manager has freedom to pick his own selectors, but in reality, Frank has a veto on everyone and has just point blank refused to allow certain individuals to get involved. This is part of the reason John Cleary refused to take the job, along with several other factors.)

Peadar Healy (Manager) - In the last 5 years has been in charge of O'Donovan Rossa (Senior club team in Cork) who had a shambles of a year including getting hammered by Clyda Rovers (most defensive team in the competition). He was removed after 1 year there. He then was somehow involved with Dr Crokes in Kerry. This too was a disastrous year for that club culminating in their defeat (for the only time EVER I think) by arch rivals Legion in County SFC and after that year Healy was sent packing. Some people will do a quick google and point to Healy being Selector (nominally Coach even in some reports!) of the 2010 All Ireland winning Cork team. He was a selector it's true, but Counihan was very much the man in charge. The other key guy in the coaching staff was Aidan O'Connell, who also works as an S&C coach with Munster Rugby. He was the main reason for Cork's super conditioning in the 2009-2012 era.
Billy Sheehan (Coach/Selector)- For starters, Billy still lives and works (and plays club football!) in Dublin. Some 5 hrs of a commute to Cork is an exceptional commitment but you might say, well if that's what they need to get the right candidate in place, fine. Let's look at that. Billy's involvement with teams in recent years, reaches as "high" as UCD Freshers and Ashford Footballers. Ashford are a team that play in the Wicklow Intermediate championship. They failed to get into the last 4 of the competition during Sheehan's tenure. So from that level in Wicklow Intermediate football to Cork Senior footballers in one leap. You may ask, why and how? Truthfully, I have no idea myself.

Eamonn Ryan - Eamonn Ryan achieved amazing results with the Cork ladies and I don't want to diminish or disrespect that. However, Ladies football is a different game. Eamonn had not been involved in a mens football team at ANY level for 25 years or more prior to this. He is also now 75 years of age.

Conor McCarthy - Still only 36 and playing Senior club football. As far as I can see his invovlment is based on a few articles he wrote for the Irish Examiner detailing his time on an internship with the Crusaders rugby team in New Zealand. He is doing or has done a Masters in Coaching Psychology. He has never coached or managed any team at any level prior to his invovlement as far as I know.

Morgan O'Sullivan - Managed his own club to a County Intermediate title in 2012,which probably makes him the only truly qualified person to hold his position as far as I can see!

Eoin O'Neill - Don't know a lot about him but was also involved in 2010 as a Stats guy apparently. No club record to speak of according to anybody I've spoken to.

Now, players have to perform and take responsibility for their performance on the field to a certain degree, regardless of any level of management. However, how anybody can look at that in black and white above and not marvel at the sheer ridicuous nature of the setup and the incompetence of the people who appointed them, is beyond me. To say it's a bad joke would be mild! God knows what they will come up with to replace them when they inevitably depart after this year. They will probably find another stooge somewhere who will happily bow to the board's ridiculous demands and standards for their County football teams. Even for a Kerry man, it's quite sad and pathetic to observe.

They've been a shambles for five or six years now.

The players are vastly overhyped and have no bit of pride about them. Tickle their bellies and they will roll over for you.

The de facto position of shit counties seems to be to pin all the blame on county boards and management rather than the players who take the field. Intercounty players seem to be protected species.

imtommygunn

they don't look overly well conditioned compared to top teams. A lot of fairly lightweight boys running round.

The players that have retired are way below the age you would expect too which indicates problems.

I suspect there are many better players in the county who won't turn out.

Also they had some great players round late noughties and were always going to win an ai but since about 2014 have been rubbish.