Search for New Mayo Manager

Started by IolarCoisCuain, September 28, 2015, 11:17:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

muppet

Quote from: INDIANA on December 22, 2016, 10:29:03 AM
Quote from: maigheo on December 22, 2016, 12:18:06 AM
I am pretty sure Bomber, Syferus and Indiana are the same person as there could not be 3 people with less of a clue about the Mayo GAA scene.And by the way Connelly was offered the Corofin job last year so the heave did not affect his ability to get a top managerial job

I think we've established the lack of a clue Mayo fans have about admitting the truth about their team.

What a mess- who picked hennelly then so if we're all clueless?

Finally.

A good start.

The imaginary Breaffy selection committee didn't pick Hennelly for 6 games in a row, including an All-Ireland Final.

But of course Dublin supporters, after one Martin Breheny December article, know more about what goes on behind the scenes in Mayo, than Mayo people.
MWWSI 2017

GaillimhIarthair

Whilst in charge of Corofin, Rochford was prone to making the odd "left field" selection for some important matches and as it turned out, theses usually worked as Corofin were/are quite dominant at club level in Galway and obviously won the Club AI during his tenure.  The Hennelly selection is along the lines of something he is quite capable of doing and I do believe it was his decision but unfortunately for him it backfired on the biggest stage of all.

twohands!!!

Quote from: Buckass on December 22, 2016, 10:05:25 AM
BTW, think the basketball angle is a positive in Mayo terms...footwork, handling, concentration etc.

I would say basketball is far far more valuable at a younger age in terms of GAA skill development compared to playing it as an adult. Aidan O'Shea is 26 so I would be shocked if there was significant change to his playing style at this stage .

Syferus

Quote from: GaillimhIarthair on December 22, 2016, 01:46:39 PM
Whilst in charge of Corofin, Rochford was prone to making the odd "left field" selection for some important matches and as it turned out, theses usually worked as Corofin were/are quite dominant at club level in Galway and obviously won the Club AI during his tenure.  The Hennelly selection is along the lines of something he is quite capable of doing and I do believe it was his decision but unfortunately for him it backfired on the biggest stage of all.

Every manager in the country has made left field decisions. It just so happens this one fell in line with the 'suggestions' of the O'Sheas. More than likely if Rochford is halfways aware he knew they liked Hennelly better. I think it's obvious it conttributed to what happened - if you're shakey enough about your All-Star keeper to consider changing him in an AIF replay knowing your midfielders want the other guy is likely to put you over the top.

muppet

Quote from: Syferus on December 22, 2016, 03:15:25 PM

Every manager in the country has made left field decisions. It just so happens this one fell in line with the 'suggestions' of the O'Sheas. More than likely if Rochford is halfways aware he knew they liked Hennelly better. I think it's obvious it conttributed to what happened - if you're shakey enough about your All-Star keeper to consider changing him in an AIF replay knowing your midfielders want the other guy is likely to put you over the top.

Again you are desperately trying to twist the evidence.

We know it happened once, with Seamie, under H&C. That is all you know and you are making up the rest.
MWWSI 2017

Syferus

Quote from: muppet on December 22, 2016, 03:21:46 PM

We know it happened once, with Seamie, under H&C. That is all you know and you are making up the rest.

You're suggesting Rochford didn't know they liked their own clubmate more? Are you trolling or something?

muppet

Quote from: Syferus on December 22, 2016, 03:27:56 PM

You're suggesting Rochford didn't know they liked their own clubmate more? Are you trolling or something?

No, the other two implications in your post.

You are still implying it was more than one O'Shea, please show some evidence of this.
And you are still implying that they are responsible for the change of goalkeepers in October 2016. Please show some evidence of this.

Otherwise stop passing your theories off as 'more than likely' crap.
MWWSI 2017

INDIANA

Quote from: muppet on December 22, 2016, 03:45:28 PM

You are still implying it was more than one O'Shea, please show some evidence of this.
And you are still implying that they are responsible for the change of goalkeepers in October 2016. Please show some evidence of this.

I doubt very much the O Se's and Rochford were discussing the flight path of the seagulls around Croke Park at the AI Semi Final.

muppet

Quote from: INDIANA on December 22, 2016, 06:13:12 PM

I doubt very much the O Se's and Rochford were discussing the flight path of the seagulls around Croke Park at the AI Semi Final.

And which goalkeeper started the game after the semi-final?

MWWSI 2017

INDIANA

Quote from: muppet on December 22, 2016, 06:16:33 PM

That's got nothing to do with it as well you know. No management team in the country outside Mayo sits with players who aren't the captain while watching the opposition with none of the rest of the squad there.

Absolutely unique.

muppet

Quote from: INDIANA on December 22, 2016, 06:19:39 PM
Quote from: muppet on December 22, 2016, 06:16:33 PM

That's got nothing to do with it as well you know. No management team in the country outside Mayo sits with players who aren't the captain while watching the opposition with none of the rest of the squad there.

Absolutely unique.

I asked for evidence for the O'Shea's canvassing Rochford to pick Hennelly.  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

You implied that they got Rochford to pick Hennelly at the semi final, until I showed you up by showing Clarke played in the next match.   ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Your giddiness to stick the boot into Mayo has turned your brain to mush.   ;D ;D
MWWSI 2017

Halfquarter

Ciaran Murphy ,Second Captains , Irish Times

If you're buying just one sports book for yourself or your loved ones this Christmas, it will probably be Paul O'Connell's autobiography The Battle, with Alan English. In it he describes what it's like to be a part of Ireland's first truly successful indigenous professional sports club – the Munster rugby team.
Vast swathes of the book are dedicated to how he reckoned the major strength in Munster throughout the early part of his career was down to the manner in which the players dictated the atmosphere in the group. Declan Kidney's success as head coach had as much to do with him having the wherewithal to get out of the way and let the players set the tone as it had to do with any tactical nous he may have had.
In the book, O'Connell says he met former Munster head coach Rob Penneybefore he was offered the job – "I think Garret Fitzgerald wanted to make sure a few of the senior players were comfortable with whoever was chosen". And the book describes in detail the sort of character required to drive Munster's standards – dogged, contrary, cranky, mouthy. Rugby players are used to consultation, they're used to empowerment, and they're used to the pressure that puts on them.
Which brings us to Mayo. The interview given by Noel Connelly and Pat Holmes to the Irish Independent over the weekend has gotten plenty of coverage since, and while they may have believed that telling their side of the story would turn the tide of public opinion in their favour, the majority of the reaction to it appears to spare the pair little. Their insistence that they were doing this for the good of Mayo football did not survive long under many people's microscope.
If you're buying just one sports book for yourself or your loved ones this Christmas, it will probably be Paul O'Connell's autobiography The Battle, with Alan English. In it he describes what it's like to be a part of Ireland's first truly successful indigenous professional sports club – the Munster rugby team.
Vast swathes of the book are dedicated to how he reckoned the major strength in Munster throughout the early part of his career was down to the manner in which the players dictated the atmosphere in the group. Declan Kidney's success as head coach had as much to do with him having the wherewithal to get out of the way and let the players set the tone as it had to do with any tactical nous he may have had.
In the book, O'Connell says he met former Munster head coach Rob Penneybefore he was offered the job – "I think Garret Fitzgerald wanted to make sure a few of the senior players were comfortable with whoever was chosen". And the book describes in detail the sort of character required to drive Munster's standards – dogged, contrary, cranky, mouthy. Rugby players are used to consultation, they're used to empowerment, and they're used to the pressure that puts on them.
Which brings us to Mayo. The interview given by Noel Connelly and Pat Holmes to the Irish Independent over the weekend has gotten plenty of coverage since, and while they may have believed that telling their side of the story would turn the tide of public opinion in their favour, the majority of the reaction to it appears to spare the pair little. Their insistence that they were doing this for the good of Mayo football did not survive long under many people's microscope. 
SilenceIf they had wanted to help Mayo, they would never have done this interview. As they look on from the outside, their silence is the only way they can help. The only people that could possibly have been served by this interview were themselves . . . and yet they accuse players of being selfish, and being consumed by ego. Of course, they have a right to say whatever they like about their time in charge, but it doesn't make it the correct thing to do.

As you read on, and you hear about Aidan O'Shea being denied the chance to take part in an AIB-funded TV show called The Toughest Trade (he eventually took part in the show in 2016), and older men spit out the words "Twitter followers" like it's shorthand for taking up a cabaret residency in Vegas, you can't help but think again that winning an All-Ireland solves all this nonsense at a stroke.
Everything an All-Ireland winner does is right, and everything a loser does is wrong. And that's it. By that way of thinking, Brendan Maher's two weeks' playing cricket in Australia filming The Toughest Trade this year was a vital component in preparing him for a year in which he captained Tipperary to the All-Ireland. It no doubt opened his eyes to a new sporting culture, aided his hand-eye co-ordination, topped up his tan, improved his diction, and helped him find God.
Or maybe it was just a cool thing to try for a couple of weeks. We may never know.
It didn't seem to bother Jackie Tyrrell the year before either. If I was Derek McGrath or Micheál Donoghue, I'd be bending over backwards to convince the producers to hire a Waterford or Galway hurler for the 2017 edition, because this show has a 100 per cent All-Ireland success prediction rate so far.
The Mayo players don't emerge from this unscathed, but it hardly comes as a surprise that a high-level sports team has in its midst characters that are almost nasty in their willingness to win. Their willingness to be unpopular, to say the unpopular thing, is part of the reason why we follow them. It's why men like Paul O'Connell and the Munster legacy he fought his entire career to protect and enhance are so interesting to us.

Il Bomber Destro

You have staunchly shown yourself to be completely uninterested in the other side of the story so your claim of someone trying to twist the evidence is risible.

Il Bomber Destro

Quote from: Tubberman on December 22, 2016, 09:32:13 AM
Quote from: Il Bomber Destro on December 22, 2016, 07:40:51 AM
Quote from: maigheo on December 22, 2016, 12:18:06 AM
I am pretty sure Bomber, Syferus and Indiana are the same person as there could not be 3 people with less of a clue about the Mayo GAA scene.And by the way Connelly was offered the Corofin job last year so the heave did not affect his ability to get a top managerial job

It's no about having an in depth knowledge of Mayo football.

The Mayo lads on here have dismissed every single criticism of their players in relation to this debacle our of hand, they just don't want to have to face up to the music that there are some massive egos and preening primadonnas in their squad that are a destabilising factor and are indulged by their general public.

This indulgence of that kind of behaviour is why there are no All Ireland medals in their pockets.

You guys don't want to debate this out, it's just ridiculous, illogical dismissals without even attempting to hear out the other side of the story. I don't think I have heard one Mayo person on here actually come out and say they thought it was wrong that certain players were trying to lobby and undermine managerial selection decisions.

I haven't heard one fan say it was wrong that players looked to have a management team ousted behind their backs without any negotiation and then wanted a say in who was appointed?

The door of blame seems to be fully placed at the feet of Holmes and Connelly, despite the fact that they were the victims of it. If they felt players were soft, it was their duty to tackle that, if they felt that certain players were not focused on their game, it was their duty to tackle that, if they thought that certain players had an undue influence in areas they were not meant to, it was their duty to tackle it.

They paid the price of upsetting a team of primadonnas, that is what it says. Their results stand up to that of Horan and Rochford and that's what it should boil down to but certain players felt slighted and aggrieved from personal differences, took the jump and drove them out - there lies the crux of the matter.

It had nothing to do with winning or losing All Irelands and everything to do with acquiescing to a cohort of players with very high standards of self-regard.

Mayo GAA - Generation Snowflake.

What utter, utter shite. No self-respecting Mayo person is going to agree with the likes of yourself and Syferus - the pair of you are far more alike than either of you would like to admit by the way!

What is utter shite is Mayo lads on here pretending the players were justified in the sneaky, cowardly way they dispatched their management team.

I am perplexed at the complete out of hand dismissal of one side of the story and outright defence of their players.

J70

Quote from: Halfquarter on December 22, 2016, 06:33:10 PM
Ciaran Murphy ,Second Captains , Irish Times

SilenceIf they had wanted to help Mayo, they would never have done this interview. As they look on from the outside, their silence is the only way they can help. The only people that could possibly have been served by this interview were themselves . . . and yet they accuse players of being selfish, and being consumed by ego. Of course, they have a right to say whatever they like about their time in charge, but it doesn't make it the correct thing to do.

As you read on, and you hear about Aidan O'Shea being denied the chance to take part in an AIB-funded TV show called The Toughest Trade (he eventually took part in the show in 2016), and older men spit out the words "Twitter followers" like it's shorthand for taking up a cabaret residency in Vegas, you can't help but think again that winning an All-Ireland solves all this nonsense at a stroke.
Everything an All-Ireland winner does is right, and everything a loser does is wrong. And that's it. By that way of thinking, Brendan Maher's two weeks' playing cricket in Australia filming The Toughest Trade this year was a vital component in preparing him for a year in which he captained Tipperary to the All-Ireland. It no doubt opened his eyes to a new sporting culture, aided his hand-eye co-ordination, topped up his tan, improved his diction, and helped him find God.
Or maybe it was just a cool thing to try for a couple of weeks. We may never know.
It didn't seem to bother Jackie Tyrrell the year before either. If I was Derek McGrath or Micheál Donoghue, I'd be bending over backwards to convince the producers to hire a Waterford or Galway hurler for the 2017 edition, because this show has a 100 per cent All-Ireland success prediction rate so far.
The Mayo players don't emerge from this unscathed, but it hardly comes as a surprise that a high-level sports team has in its midst characters that are almost nasty in their willingness to win. Their willingness to be unpopular, to say the unpopular thing, is part of the reason why we follow them. It's why men like Paul O'Connell and the Munster legacy he fought his entire career to protect and enhance are so interesting to us.

I've no stake in this issue, but surely, and especially given that the players were not forthcoming with, in their eyes, valid reasons for their wanting the two boys dismissed, these men are entitled to tell their side of the story?

They're the ones whose reputations were besmirched by the way it all went down. No way I'd have shown the restraint they did in waiting over a year to comment.

Maybe the "good of Mayo football" part is debatable/fanciful, but that doesn't make they're giving this interview wrong.