Quote from: Lar Naparka on December 20, 2016, 09:51:30 PM
Quote from: INDIANA on December 20, 2016, 07:03:16 PM
Quote from: Lar Naparka on December 20, 2016, 04:17:30 PM
Quote from: heffo on December 20, 2016, 11:05:22 AM
Quote from: Buttofthehill on December 20, 2016, 10:59:59 AM
Quote from: heffo on December 20, 2016, 10:45:52 AM
Quote from: ballinaman on December 20, 2016, 10:43:19 AM
Quote from: Buckass on December 20, 2016, 10:06:18 AM
There's no inus on H & C to have the best interests of Mayo football in mind when they're setting the record straight. Why should they be expected to remain silent when every half-truth peddled about them gained credence due to their silence. To suggest they broke trusts is also off..you cant break whats already been broken. Id imagine both men and their families lost many nights sleep with the whole affair; now they`ve set it straight they can move on.
Calling them 'old school' is nonsense when all the gps stuff, high end camera work etc was being done. If old school means managing and not taking input in selection from guys whose job it is to play, then jim Gavin, Michael Ryan, fitzmsurice and Cody are positively dinosaurs.
There'll be no player answer... Not because they're "bigger than that" but because they know that H & C s account is the reality. H & C can move on with their heads up; if the mayo players look honestly at themselves and this affair (as Cunniffe did) then they perhaps can too. Rochford & mc Entee
Can also add to their experience of the group by what has been revealed. If they learn and address matters, Mayo can be bettered by it.
Oh for FFS.
Record straight me hole. They've given their version of events as they saw it, hardly the definite recount of what went on.
Not even taking into account what went on through the year, believe me lads...face palm stuff,.they were hit below the water line from the start due to the shambolic way they were appointed.
Kevin McStay in comparison has shown true class by how he's conducted himself since.

Genuine question - what's the issue with the appointment process? Why was it such a deal breaker?

There wasn't some huge transparant process for Jim Gavin's appointment - he was offered the position and after some haggling took it

Just playing Devil's Advocate here Heffo, but I remember things threatening to go sour with regards the appointment of Gilroy and Whelan in 2009/early champo 2010. Vincents ruling the roost etc. All turned out well of course but when Meath/Kerry/(nearly wexford) handed them their arses, it wasnt so rosy.

Am aware of that but in Gilroy's case that wasn't down to anyone pulling strokes around his appointment - Jim Gavin got a fair interview for the position at the time.

It's also not so long ago that Dublin were the basket case's of disfunctionality - I just cant get my head around the universal support of the player's from Mayo posters even if H&C were weak.
I find nothing wrong with any of that. Maybe it's not a case of every single Mayo posters backing the players unconditionally. H&C were weak, very weak and they allowed dominant characters too dominate proceedings which pissed off other players and this had a snowballing effect...
Sean Boylan or Jim Gavin or any other manager of note including James Horan would never allow this to happen.
The awesome twosome got a remit;  manage the team and this they did not do.
My problem here is that the two of them are bleating away in public about the nasty bullies who wouldn't do what they were told, as all good little boys should. FFS, there was and always be tensions in any panel who have ambitions of any sort to better themselves. I'd expect that a good number on the Mayo or any other panel don't get on well with some of the others. If there is no jockeying for positions then any team won't get anywhere.
H&C were given a prominent platform to present their side of things without any effort being made to bring a sense of objectivity into their presentation. Breheny made no effort to do this and I can't understand why so many posters here seem to feel that what he wrote is the definitive account of what really happened.
I'd say the vast majority of Mayo fans would like both sides of the argument to be presented if there is a need to wash the dirty linen in public, do so in an evenhanded manner.

The point you're missing Lar is how tenable is the current management's position?

It's clear as day the players selected the goalkeeper for the replayed final. To me that is the point of no return for any management team.

This goes far beyond anything to do with previous management's teams not being up to it.

It brings into question the integrity of the current selection and who is making the decisions.

That Mayo team has plenty of lads who wouldn't be pushed around too easily by anyone.

Too right:

http://rsvpmagazine.ie/mayos-aidan-oshea-refused-entry-to-dublin-club/

Cross these fellas and you'll get a passive aggressive tweet or an email wondering why the little brother isn't playing

muppet

Quote from: heffo on December 20, 2016, 10:04:38 PM
Too right:

Cross these fellas and you'll get a passive aggressive tweet or an email wondering why the little brother isn't playing

What do you get if you cross Diarmuid Connelly?

MWWSI 2017

muppet

Quote from: Buckass on December 20, 2016, 08:23:50 PM
Must say I found the weekend piece an interesting one. Not a fan of breheny but he hit on a good one there. Was talk of our workplace all week. Most GAA lads found it revealing too, especially re:goalkeeping selection hints. What's not said about the logistics guy is fascinating too...was he a Roman abromovich type sugar daddy & some were unhappy when Molly was taken away.
Indo was sold out all round here on the Saturday. While a few wondered why H & C bothered general sentiment was that it was revealing. The lack of specifics way back when was kind of strange.
Agree its strange that the mayos here are very 1sided & I get the anger at your county board. Loyalty to players is admirable, they're the ones ye cheer in the future. However, the "H & C were good servants but should have hone quietly into the dark night" attitude is baffling.
From a neutral view I thought Mayo went backwards last year & missed a gilt-edged opportunity against a Dublin side that were nothing to the 2015 version.
The talent & appetite is there for Mayo... Having too many balls in the air (interviews\mcguiness denials\sports swaps\concerns outside playing)means keeping the eye on the one that matters is difficult.if they lock down mcguinness style & adopt a " prove every1 wrong(in their eyes) attitude" they could actually prove every1 (h & c included) right.

You are lecturing a county squad and their supporters on the basis of a Martin Breheny Indo article?

MWWSI 2017

Lar Naparka

Quote from: Rossfan on December 20, 2016, 09:53:36 PM
Hurry up and get to 100 pages.

FFS, would you ever organised a rescue party and take that loola off our hands! ;D
Get him back where he belongs and where people can understand (a bit of) what's he goes on about. Not much I know  but still it's more than we can make sense of here.
He's a health risk as it is and we are concerned for his safety and state of mind. ;D
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

Jinxy

There's no inus on H & C to have the best interests of Mayo football in mind when they're setting the record straight. Why should they be expected to remain silent when every half-truth peddled about them gained credence due to their silence. To suggest they broke trusts is also off..you cant break whats already been broken. Id imagine both men and their families lost many nights sleep with the whole affair; now they`ve set it straight they can move on.
Calling them 'old school' is nonsense when all the gps stuff, high end camera work etc was being done. If old school means managing and not taking input in selection from guys whose job it is to play, then jim Gavin, Michael Ryan, fitzmsurice and Cody are positively dinosaurs.
There'll be no player answer... Not because they're "bigger than that" but because they know that H & C s account is the reality. H & C can move on with their heads up; if the mayo players look honestly at themselves and this affair (as Cunniffe did) then they perhaps can too. Rochford & mc Entee
Can also add to their experience of the group by what has been revealed. If they learn and address matters, Mayo can be bettered by it.
Oh for FFS.
Record straight me hole. They've given their version of events as they saw it, hardly the definite recount of what went on.
Not even taking into account what went on through the year, believe me lads...face palm stuff,.they were hit below the water line from the start due to the shambolic way they were appointed.
Kevin McStay in comparison has shown true class by how he's conducted himself since.

Genuine question - what's the issue with the appointment process? Why was it such a deal breaker?

There wasn't some huge transparant process for Jim Gavin's appointment - he was offered the position and after some haggling took it

Just playing Devil's Advocate here Heffo, but I remember things threatening to go sour with regards the appointment of Gilroy and Whelan in 2009/early champo 2010. Vincents ruling the roost etc. All turned out well of course but when Meath/Kerry/(nearly wexford) handed them their arses, it wasnt so rosy.

Am aware of that but in Gilroy's case that wasn't down to anyone pulling strokes around his appointment - Jim Gavin got a fair interview for the position at the time.

It's also not so long ago that Dublin were the basket case's of disfunctionality - I just cant get my head around the universal support of the player's from Mayo posters even if H&C were weak.
I find nothing wrong with any of that. Maybe it's not a case of every single Mayo posters backing the players unconditionally. H&C were weak, very weak and they allowed dominant characters too dominate proceedings which pissed off other players and this had a snowballing effect...
Sean Boylan or Jim Gavin or any other manager of note including James Horan would never allow this to happen.
My problem here is that the two of them are bleating away in public about the nasty bullies who wouldn't do what they were told, as all good little boys should. FFS, there was and always be tensions in any panel who have ambitions of any sort to better themselves. I'd expect that a good number on the Mayo or any other panel don't get on well with some of the others. If there is no jockeying for positions then any team won't get anywhere.
H&C were given a prominent platform to present their side of things without any effort being made to bring a sense of objectivity into their presentation. Breheny made no effort to do this and I can't understand why so many posters here seem to feel that what he wrote is the definitive account of what really happened.
I'd say the vast majority of Mayo fans would like both sides of the argument to be presented if there is a need to wash the dirty linen in public, do so in an evenhanded manner.

The point you're missing Lar is how tenable is the current management's position?

It's clear as day the players selected the goalkeeper for the replayed final. To me that is the point of no return for any management team.

This goes far beyond anything to do with previous management's teams not being up to it.

It brings into question the integrity of the current selection and who is making the decisions.
Ah no, I don't think anyone in Mayo has not wondered about the change of goalie. It's nowhere as clear as day that a pressure group forced Rochford to act against his better judgement.
You see, you are not talking about schoolboys here. That Mayo team has plenty of lads who wouldn't be pushed around too easily by anyone.
The idea that all of them were cowed into submission by a couple of colleagues seems fantastical.
Dunno much about Rochford really but it's telling that there was no signs of rancour in the camp throughout the 2016 season, right up to the team announcement for the reply.
Let's say that a bunch of hard chaws pressured the panel into calling for the removal of H&C when the team were performing quite well.
Now, along comes Rochford a newbie at intercounty managership level. and his team performed very poorly indeed. It took an incredible run of good luck to bring Mayo into this year's All Ireland.
They seemed to have re-discovered their cojones at that stage but it  took a miracle to take them there. Now, there wasn't a dicky bird from inside the camp to indicate that there was tension in the setup. Most of Mayo were on the alert for any signs of trouble because the way the team started off would indicate that all wasn't well but all seemed under control right throughout the season.

Going by the local papers, out today, all of last year's panel have indicated that they are available for next year, so it appears that there's no fallout over the goalie switch either.
Unlike the armchair experts who know far more about Mayo football than the entire number of Mayo posters on the board, I find the whole setup is far from straightforward.

Lar, they've effectively ditched one management team.
Rochford could have suggested the players train in full-length ballgowns and they wouldn't have said a word.
Fwiw I think Mayo were a better side in 2015 and so were Dublin.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Rossfan

Quote from: Lar Naparka on December 20, 2016, 10:45:23 PM

FFS, would you ever organised a rescue party and take that loola off our hands! ;D
Get him back where he belongs and where people can understand (a bit of) what's he goes on about. Not much I know  but still it's more than we can make sense of here.
He's a health risk as it is and we are concerned for his safety and state of mind. ;D
Safer ta lave him meitherin ye crowd ;D
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Lar Naparka

Quote from: Rossfan on December 21, 2016, 01:10:08 AM
Quote from: Lar Naparka on December 20, 2016, 10:45:23 PM

Safer ta lave him meitherin ye crowd ;D
Right, if that's the way you want it! I'm gonna cancel the pressie I was going to give you for Christmas, so there!

PS Anyone interested in a secondhand bale of mouldy hay?
All offers considered.

moysider

Quote from: Jinxy on December 21, 2016, 12:04:40 AM
Oh for FFS.

Ah no, I don't think anyone in Mayo has not wondered about the change of goalie. It's nowhere as clear as day that a pressure group forced Rochford to act against his better judgement.
You see, you are not talking about schoolboys here. That Mayo team has plenty of lads who wouldn't be pushed around too easily by anyone.
The idea that all of them were cowed into submission by a couple of colleagues seems fantastical.
Dunno much about Rochford really but it's telling that there was no signs of rancour in the camp throughout the 2016 season, right up to the team announcement for the reply.
Let's say that a bunch of hard chaws pressured the panel into calling for the removal of H&C when the team were performing quite well.
Now, along comes Rochford a newbie at intercounty managership level. and his team performed very poorly indeed. It took an incredible run of good luck to bring Mayo into this year's All Ireland.
They seemed to have re-discovered their cojones at that stage but it  took a miracle to take them there. Now, there wasn't a dicky bird from inside the camp to indicate that there was tension in the setup. Most of Mayo were on the alert for any signs of trouble because the way the team started off would indicate that all wasn't well but all seemed under control right throughout the season.

Going by the local papers, out today, all of last year's panel have indicated that they are available for next year, so it appears that there's no fallout over the goalie switch either.
Unlike the armchair experts who know far more about Mayo football than the entire number of Mayo posters on the board, I find the whole setup is far from straightforward.

Lar, they've effectively ditched one management team.
Rochford could have suggested the players train in full-length ballgowns and they wouldn't have said a word.
Fwiw I think Mayo were a better side in 2015 and so were Dublin.

Nah. Better to watch maybe in 2015. Dublin and Mayo just got more defensive this year. The own goals and goalkeeper meltdowns from Mayo were a big swing. Dublin got their goalie meltdown in semi v Kerry where there was enough difference between the teams that meant it wasn't critical. Mayo also got the wrong end of the stick as regards some decisions in replay. Them's the breaks. Lose a combined final + replay, played over about 150 mins  by a point (missing a relatively easy free to send replay into xtra time), and dismissed as a shower of losers/bottlers/chokers. That's the way it is I suppose. High standards out there.

maigheo

I think H and C also thought the players were bottlers and chokers and not tough enough when they came in judging by there comments regarding the Kerry replay the previous year when they told them that Kerry had bullied them.Can you imagine what the players thought when they heard that as you can say all you want about there performances and the mistakes that were made but being bullied was not some thing any body with an ounce of credibility could level at this group.

Syferus

Quote from: maigheo on December 21, 2016, 01:45:51 AM
I think H and C also thought the players were bottlers and chokers and not tough enough when they came in judging by there comments regarding the Kerry replay the previous year when they told them that Kerry had bullied them.Can you imagine what the players thought when they heard that as you can say all you want about there performances and the mistakes that were made but being bullied was not some thing any body with an ounce of credibility could level at this group.

Donegal 2012. Kerry 2014. Dublin 2015.

Easier to be the tough guys earlier in the season. Mayo may not be bullied regularly but they have never had the killers the above teams had in the white heat of the championship. Maybe only Keegan and Boyle (at his peak) you could say had that. Trevor Mortimer looked like he had it back in 2011 too. I suppose it's hard for a management to fix something if players don't even accept it needs fixing.

Captain Obvious

Martin Breheny is really milking it now with another article today on the same topic.

heffo

Quote from: muppet on December 20, 2016, 10:37:50 PM
Quote from: heffo on December 20, 2016, 10:04:38 PM
Too right:

What do you get if you cross Diarmuid Connelly?

Reminded you're not playing Sligo now

Lar Naparka

Quote from: Jinxy on December 20, 2016, 04:10:29 PM
The media response seems to be pro-player in general.

http://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/columnists/john-fogarty/cheap-shots-have-harmed-mayo-436002.html

Although I'm sure there's a certain amount of self-interest involved there.
H & C have no real value to most sports hacks.
Lemme get this straight. ;D ;D
The media in general are backing the players out of self interest whereas, Martin Breheny is presenting the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth.
No question that the media in general have noticed the contradictions, vague assertions and off the wall comments his work of fiction is plastered with?
At one stage, H&C mentioned the fact that a player left his notes in the hotel and the squad blamed the management.
Now, the players are on record as saying that H&C were the ones to forget the notes.
And you, from what I've read have no trouble in accepting the managers' version.
I think it's time for me to get to f**k outta here. I don't have a job to go to so any time I waste is my own.

Tubberman

Quote from: Captain Obvious on December 21, 2016, 08:27:34 AM
Martin Breheny is really milking it now with another article today on the same topic.

Completely to be expected. The gobshite will live off this for years.
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

Avondhu star

Quote from: Tubberman on December 21, 2016, 09:21:59 AM
Quote from: Captain Obvious on December 21, 2016, 08:27:34 AM

Completely to be expected. The gobshite will live off this for years.

Keep your head in the sand. Meanwhile counties are praying they will get Mayo on their side of the draw. Small town big heads looking for excuses as to why they bottle it.
Lee Harvey Oswald , your country needs you