Mayo v Galway NFL Semi-Final

Started by Redgreenery, April 08, 2007, 05:21:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GalwaySham

QuoteIve seen Blake a couple of times now. I always think he is limited enough footballing wise. It will be intresting enough to see him against Heaney who is a lot more mobile than him

You obviously havent seen enough of him.
I have seen Blake numerous times and he is a top top footballer. I am at a loss as to how you think he is limited. He always gives great ball coming out of defence. What is limited about his play, he is never knocked off the ball, a good passer and well able to take a point.

However, he is no midfielder. He plays there for Milltown alright but he isnt big enough to compete there at intercounty level and by playing him there, you are just losing out at no. 6. Blake only missed 1 full match in the league (I think>) so this breaking up of the half back line doesnt make any sense.

Geraghty did not deserve to be dropped after his performance last week. Other times, he plays badly and we cant get the mangement to drop him!

I see no reason why Galway shouldnt win on Sunday & in the championship game.

Why?

1. We have a better full back (dont know much about Kilcullen but Hanley is proven at this stage and is playing well at the moment)

2. We have a better centre back, whether its Meehan or Blake playing there

3. We have a better midfield. Heaney is one of the most over-rated players in the country.

4. We have a better full-forward

5. Even though JA isnt playing well at the moment, Id still pick him ahead of Andy Moran

I doubt many players on that MAyo team would actually make the Galway side.

Oh, How I will rue this post on Monday morning :)

Jack Dempsey

Galway dont have better players than Mayo.

belleaqua

Galway Sham we certainly do not have a better midfield than Mayo.

A good few of that Mayo team would make a Galway side, be fairly even split.

Still feel we have better players and have a better chance of an All Ireland. If we werent to do it this year I wouldnt begrudge Mayo a title.

GalwaySham

QuoteGalway Sham we certainly do not have a better midfield than Mayo.

Maybe not on Sunday if Blake is playing there and defitinitely not when Mayo have McGarrity.

But Harte is not great shakes and Heaney is defitinitely overrated. I'd pick Bergin above either of those plus Geraghty & Cullinane are far better options than Barry Moran to bring on from the bench.

OirthearMhaigheo

I hope you do rue it sham because most of what you wrote was utter trufflais!! I'd agree with some of your points, mainly FB and FF, Galway have 2 proven quality players there, we have 2 rookies in those positions. The fact that we have a 2nd/3rd string midfield on show will tip the balance in your favour a bit more. On the other side of it I think we prob have better backs, find it really hard to believe Dec Meehan will be at CHB, way too light-weight. We probably have the better forwards all round also, which is strange to say about a Mayo team, but we do have excellent forwards now, if only they would play more as a unit. I think it will be really tight especially since both sides are missing players. If we had McG, McD and D Brady in that side I would be very confident, extremely difficult to replace that calibre of player but given the starting 15 we have, Mayo by 1, sure I'll go mad and stretch it to Mayo by 2!!

belleaqua

Have to disagree Oirthear Mhaigheo on the backs. Galways best Unit.

Hanly, Kieran Fitz, Damien Burke, Dec Meehan(on the wing) and Blake(when centre back) are as good and better than what Mayo offer in this area.

Damien Burke the most under rated player in the country and alot better than Keith Higgins IMO who is a great footballer.

Yee have a way better half forward line no doubt.

Joyce and Meehan the only two who are consistently good enough to make Mayo forward line as of today.

GalwayBayBoy

As for the respective merits of the players I don't believe there's much of a difference between the talent levels of the two teams however there is a vast gulf between the management teams. JOM is a proven and successful winner at the very top level and well...Ford isn't basically. In fairness to Ford he has tightened up the defence considerably although to the detriment of our midfield and attacking play.

As for the game itself we would have to improve substantially in claiming primary possession in midfield to give ourselves a chance. If we had a Kevin Walsh in midfield we'd be laughing but unfortunately we don't. Joe Bergin is a fine player but he's more of a roaming running midfielder than a man to battle away at the coalface in the middle. If we're not winning clean ball in the middle they have to break it for the half-backs and half-forwards but we rarely seem to come out on top in winning breaking ball either.

Not sure if winning on Sunday will mean much come May. Come the championship I think the team whose hunger is greatest will probably win it on the day.

belleaqua

Combined Galway-Mayo Team: If all players available

1. D. Clarke (Mayo)

2. K. Fitzgerald (Galway)
3. F. Hanley (Galway)
4. D. Burke (Galway)

5. D. Meehan (Galway)
6. D. Blake (Galway)
7. P. Gardiner (Mayo)

8. R. McGarritty (Mayo)
9. J. Bergin (Galway)

10. G. Brady (Mayo)
11. C. McDonald (Mayo)
12. A. Dillon (Mayo)

13. M. Meehan (Galway)
14. P. Joyce (Galway)
15. C. Mortimer (Mayo)

OirthearMhaigheo

fair enough belleaqa, I'll have to take your word for it on the likes of Burke, don't know much about him to be honest. If Killcullen does well on Sunday then we could be saying we have the better backs but I'd agree if Blake was at centre back, he would look alot more assured than BJP at the moment. All in all I think there will be a bit of shadow boxing despite what Dillon said, it's so close to championship that neither team will see this as the ultimate prize. It backfired on Galway by giving us a pasting last year in the league but I guess neither team is going to go out and throw the game either. It will prob be a ding dong battle anyway and the open spaces of croker should make for a cracker!

GalwaySham

If theres a Galway back to be dropped from that combined team, its not burke, its Fitzgerald.

However, in my original post, I was pointing out how Galway are better in the key positions on Sunday.

belleaqua's team reflects this also with all central positions having a Galway player in it except McGarrity, not playing on Sunday & McDonald, also not playing on Sunday

OirthearMhaigheo

1 Mayo back? can't agree with that. Could easily slot Liam O'Malley in for Fitzgerald and K Higgins will prove in time what a class footballer he is. Devenney falls into the "potential" category so you'd have to give Meehan the nod there.
Wouldn't have G Brady in there, not at half forward anyway but then again the Galway candidates aren't too strong. You guys don;t know much about Andy Moran but he's having a good year so he'd get the nod there. Possibly a bit harsh to only have 2 Galway forwards though??
Either way I'd make it Mayo 8, Galway 7 ;D

MaroonAndWhite

If anyones wondering what Damien Burke is capable of, they should have come to Tuam last Sunday. Benny Coulter scored 1-1 on him....the goal wouldnt have happened but for the keeper getting a rush of blood to the head and coming out where he shouldnt and the point came off a 45. Theres not too many that could match pure ox strength and speed with Coulter but Burke was comfortable.
One of the best man markers ive seen in a good while with Marc O'Se, Michael McCarthy, Paul Griffin. Hes seen off better than Mortimer.....hopefully he'll do the job on Sunday

belleaqua

Quote from: OirthearMhaigheo on April 13, 2007, 02:12:16 PM
It will prob be a ding dong battle anyway and the open spaces of croker should make for a cracker!

I think so. Good weather, big pitch, and no domination in midfield expected. All points towards an open fast exciting game. Of course it wont be championship but will be alot better to watch I reckon. Lookin forward to it now.

belleaqua

Quote from: OirthearMhaigheo on April 13, 2007, 02:17:53 PM
Either way I'd make it Mayo 8, Galway 7 ;D

Was waiting for that! All a matter of opinion!! Either way just shows that its fairly even!

GalwaySham

QuoteIf anyones wondering what Damien Burke is capable of, they should have come to Tuam last Sunday. Benny Coulter scored 1-1 on him....the goal wouldnt have happened but for the keeper getting a rush of blood to the head and coming out where he shouldnt and the point came off a 45. Theres not too many that could match pure ox strength and speed with Coulter but Burke was comfortable.
One of the best man markers ive seen in a good while with Marc O'Se, Michael McCarthy, Paul Griffin. Hes seen off better than Mortimer.....hopefully he'll do the job on Sunday

And that wasnt even one of his better games!

Quote1 Mayo back? can't agree with that. Could easily slot Liam O'Malley in for Fitzgerald and K Higgins will prove in time what a class footballer he is. Devenney falls into the "potential" category so you'd have to give Meehan the nod there.
Wouldn't have G Brady in there, not at half forward anyway but then again the Galway candidates aren't too strong. You guys don;t know much about Andy Moran but he's having a good year so he'd get the nod there. Possibly a bit harsh to only have 2 Galway forwards though??
Either way I'd make it Mayo 8, Galway 7

Higgins, Like Heaney is another blown up by the Mayo fans. Would have Burke miles ahead of him.

I know about Andy Moran, when ever I seen him play, with the exception of the match against Dublin last year, he has been pure shite.