Division 2A turning into a mess

Started by Lone Shark, April 03, 2007, 01:18:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shrewdness

The plot thickens. Leitrim have just beaten London 0-13 to 0-10. This puts them level on 8 points in joint second with Roscommon. However, Ros have a 4 points advantage over Leitrim in scoring difference. This could yet be crucial, because play offs only come into it, if a team finishes level with Longford or Offaly, who are both back on 6 points.

However, if Offaly beat Roscommon, which is almost a banker, then Leitrim need only draw with Monaghan to claim Div 2 for next season. Does everyone agree with this, or am i wrong?

45GoneShort

Here are the 15 - yes 15 possible outcomes next sunday -

1. If Leitrim and Roscommon both win next Sunday, score difference will decide second and third, at the moment Leitrim are four points behind Roscommon.

2. If Leitrim and Roscommon both draw Roscommon will finish second and Leitrim third on score difference.

3. If Leitrim draw and Roscommon lose Leitrim will finish second.

4. If there are wins for Monaghan, Roscommon and Clare next weekend, Offaly, Longford, Carlow and London will play in TM Cup and Division 4 2008. Leitrim and Clare will play in Qualifiers 2007 and League Division 3 2008, with Monaghan and Roscommon playing in Division 2 2008.

5. If there are wins for Offaly, Longford and Monaghan, then Roscommon, Leitrim, Longford and Offaly will be tied on eight points each and playoffs will be required to decide who qualifies for Division 2(one team), Division 3(two teams) and Division 4(one team) from among these four.

6. If all three games finish level, Roscommon will finish second, Leitrim third and playoffs will be required to separate Longford/Clare/Offaly to decide one reaming place in Division 3 2008 and two remaining places in Division 4 2008 and TM Cup 2007

7. If Offaly/Roscommon and Longford/Clare matches are both drawn then Leitrim will finish second if victorious over Monaghan, with Roscommon finishing third and playoffs will be required to decide the separation of Clare, Longford and Offaly

8. If Offaly/Roscommon and Longford/Clare matches are both drawn then Leitrim will finish third if losing/drawing versus Monaghan, with Roscommon finishing second on score difference in the event of a Leitrim draw and playoffs will be required to decide the separation of Clare, Longford and Offaly.

9. If Longford/Clare draw and there are wins for Leitrim and Offaly, then Leitrim will finish second, Roscommon/Offaly third/fourth with Clare, Longford, Carlow and London playing in Division 4 2008 and TM Cup 2007.

10. If Longford/Clare draw and there are wins for Monaghan and Offaly, then Leitrim, Roscommon and Offaly will be tied for second place and playoffs will be required to determine the remaining one place in Division 2 and the two remaining places in Division 3 with Clare, Longford, Carlow and London playing in Division 4 2008 and TM Cup 2007.

11. If Offaly/Roscommon draw and there are wins for Leitrim and Longford then Leitrim will finish second, Roscommon third, Longford fourth with Offaly, Clare, Carlow and London playing in TM Cup 2007 and Division 4 2008

12. If Offaly/Roscommon draw and there are wins for Monaghan and Longford then Leitrim will finish fourth, Longford third, Roscommon second and Monaghan first with Offaly, Clare, Carlow and London playing in TM Cup 2007 and Division 4 2008.

13. If Offaly/Roscommon draw and there are wins for Leitrim and Longford then Leitrim will finish second, Roscommon third, Longford fourth with Offaly, Clare, Carlow and London playing in TM Cup 2007 and Division 4 2008.

14. If there are wins for Monaghan, Longford and Roscommon: Monaghan & Roscommon in Div. 2 with Leitrim and Longford in Division 3 2008 and the remainder in Division 4.

15. If there are wins for Monaghan, Clare and Roscommon, Monaghan and Roscommon will play in Division 2 2008, Leitrim and Clare will play in Division 3 2008 with Longford, Offaly, Carlow and London playing in TM Cup 2007 and Division 4 2008.

Shamrock Shore

And may I welcome Stephen Hawking to the Board.

Top Class Sir

BigJohnBrowne

Now, now, 45GoneShort, I read this earlier today else-where, acknowledge your source !!!

But the info. is good.  Some mess this division is in.

???

fearglasmor

Anyone dare to call the results that matter in 2A ?  I'd say; (Carlow / London is irrelevant to the standings)

Wins for Offaly, Monaghan, Longford leaving

Roscommon, Offaly, Leitrim and Longford all on 8 points and some sort of play off required (unless this was an April Fools joke)
I haven't seen anything about how such a play off would work, but presume it has to be a straight draw with the winners playing for 2nd spot and the losers playing to avoid 5th.

I have to admit though Leitrim worry me. Monaghan have only pride at stake whereas Leitrim have the massive prize of Div 2 if other things go for them and it's in Cloone.

cavan4ever

i hope monaghan go easy on Leitrim  ;D

magpie seanie

QuoteI have to admit though Leitrim worry me. Monaghan have only pride at stake whereas Leitrim have the massive prize of Div 2 if other things go for them and it's in Cloone.

A very astute comment. Last week Leitrim struggled to beat London who have been tonked by everyone so Monaghan should win. But logic does not enter the equation when entering the twilight zone of playing Leitrim at a Leitrim venue. If Monaghan's attitude is not right the might get turned over even though they are far superior footballers.

45GoneShort

I think you are all way off the mark in regard to leitrim.  Being realiistic you have to take into account monaghan are in under21 final 24hrs beforehand, monaghan have nothing play for except for starting places on the team and then there is for me the Cloone factor, this venue gives leitrim a major advantage with its tight playing field with the crowd right in on top of you.  In relation to the offaly rosscommon game i'm going for the rossies offaly are in a under21 final 24hrs earlier this i tink wil giv the rossies the edge.  Carlow still in dissaray could be in for a shock i think london will be bouyed up by their performance against leitrim last weekend.  Longford are a sure thing against clare, longford will have way too much for them.  If i'm right on all 4 games them i'll be over €200 better off.  Having said that its hard to see this division not being decided on playoff's.

Shamrock Shore

Offaly gone!

Results

Longford 2-10 Clare 0-10
Roscommon 4-11 Offaly 1-16
Leitrim 2-10 Monaghan 1-14

Result means:

Div 2 Monaghan and Roscommon
Div 3 Leitrim and Longford
Div 4 (and Cooper Cup ignomy) Offaly

The Real Laoislad

Bad day for the BIFFO'S in every way so,their hurlers were beaten too and Div 2 beckons for them next year
You'll Never Walk Alone.

Farrandeelin

Delighted that no Connacht team plays in Division 4 next year. :)
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

fearglasmor

Quote from: The Real Laoislad on April 15, 2007, 07:19:40 PM
Bad day for the BIFFO'S in every way so,their hurlers were beaten too and Div 2 beckons for them next year

Hey Laoislad, would ye ever take that Roe f**ker back where he belongs. No wonder ye wouldn't give him yer own job.

On the bright side   :D :D :D :D :D :D :D,  the last time Offaly were in Div 4 they won a Leinster title. It's delerium setting in.

Bord na Mona man

Dark days when we're competing for the Tommy Cooper Cup.
While we are not Division 4 material, that could change having to spend a year slugging it out with the dregs.
:(

AZOffaly

So what happens now? Just say Offaly beat Carlow and win the next game to progress to a Leinster semi or whatever. Are they still doomed to Tommy Murphy rather than Qualifiers? Or is it only if they lose in the first round or two?

As an extreme example, I'm sure if Offaly were to qualify for another Leinster Final, and lose it, they would hardly drop straight into the Tommy Murphy cup would they?

magpie seanie

You need to make the Leinster final to avoid the Tommy Murphy Cup.