Stamp out Sectarianism

Started by Feckitt, May 13, 2013, 02:14:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Feckitt

Sad to see reports of a big fallout in Monaghan over the weekend.  Apparently the entire Ballybay team walked off during a game against Magheracloone.  The Irish Times incorrectly have reported it this morning as racist abuse.  Senior County footballer Drew Wylie was sent off for Ballybay amid accusations that he was receiving abuse of a sectarian nature.  I don't know what happened but I think we all agree that sectarian abuse and racial abuse are two sides of the same coin.  The Irish Times mix up between sectarian and racist abuse is probably no doubt because some idiot called him a black bastard.

Premier Emperor

There is no excusing either.
Pity we have to share the GAA with sectarian bigots.

OakleafCounty

Unfortunately sectarianism within is something the GAA hasn't confronted yet. It's not something that exists in every club but it does exist.

AZOffaly

Ususally when we here about sectarianism it's faintly ludicrous. Lads like Billy Sheehan calling men from South Armagh 'brits' and stuff like that.

This is a lot worse and more sinister in my opinion. Insulting someone on the basis of their religion or race needs to be stamped out, but I fear it's just the next logical step in the whole 'sledging' agenda which seems to have come in with other modern team preparation techniques.

God be with the days when sledging used to be something like Paidi O'Sé's put down to a forward 'They'll be taking you off soon I suppose'. Now it's mothers, sisters, family tragedies and now, inevitably, religion and race. What happened to just playing the f**king game?

Feckitt

What saddens me is that Drew Wylie is possibly the only current Protestant Inter-County footballer in Ulster, and this is how he is treated by GAA men from within his own county.  It wouldnt happen if he was playing rugby.  It is difficult enough to promote GAA and reach out to the protestant community without this type of thing happening.

Sleater

Very saddening to hear this. Drew Wylie is a superb and highly committed footballer. Any sort of abuse like this by small minded idiots/bullies has to be stamped out.

johnneycool

Quote from: Feckitt on May 13, 2013, 04:00:13 PM
What saddens me is that Drew Wylie is possibly the only current Protestant Inter-County footballer in Ulster, and this is how he is treated by GAA men from within his own county.  It wouldnt happen if he was playing rugby.  It is difficult enough to promote GAA and reach out to the protestant community without this type of thing happening.

Yes it would.

AZOffaly

I think you're right johnney, but really that's a red herring. Who cares if it would happen in rugby or not? Why is it acceptable, or 'clever' to use all sorts of shite talk to upset an opponent in a game. Racism and Sectarianism is just an extension of that.

rodney trotter

All types of verbals should be kicked out, not just sectarianism or racism. Insulting somebody about having a family member having illness is as bad imo. It was a bit extreme for the club to walk off, but they were only supporting the player I suppose.

muppet

Quote from: Feckitt on May 13, 2013, 02:14:22 PM
Sad to see reports of a big fallout in Monaghan over the weekend.  Apparently the entire Ballybay team walked off during a game against Magheracloone.  The Irish Times incorrectly have reported it this morning as racist abuse.  Senior County footballer Drew Wylie was sent off for Ballybay amid accusations that he was receiving abuse of a sectarian nature.  I don't know what happened but I think we all agree that sectarian abuse and racial abuse are two sides of the same coin.  The Irish Times mix up between sectarian and racist abuse is probably no doubt because some idiot called him a black b**tard.

This needs a full investigation and if upheld it needs a very serious sanction.

Clubs need to take responsibility and token fines or bans reduced on appeal don't cut it.

In a case like the, again if proven to be true, we should look at banning the club from competition for a period of time.
MWWSI 2017

thebandit

Drew, Brent and Ryan Wylie are good committed footballers, and when Ballybay won the county title last year, the first thing Paul Finlay did in his speech was to thank their parents for all their hard work.

In a county like Monaghan with a small population, 15% of which is protestant, we should be reaching out to as many people as possible to play our game, not turn them away.

Ironically, Magheracloone would have had protestant footballers in the past.

AZOffaly

To be honest, I don't think black, white, gay, straight, protestant, catholic or muslim is really the point. It's just words to try and unsettle or annoy the opponent. It'll be rare enough that someone really cares about the race or creed, it's just a convenient stick to beat them with. As I said, the line blurs when insulting a lads mother or sister is seen as acceptable or even part of the game. It's not, and while I'm glad this stuff gets attention, I hope it's not just someone beating the PC drum. Kick all this shite out of our games, instead of eulogising lads who use it as being 'cute hoors'.

Rossfan

Well said AZ.
Absolutely spot on and time to eradicate this cancer from the game.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Eamonnca1

What's the betting the GAA gets another mention in the Newsletter tomorrow?

lawnseed

from what i hear there is some history between the two players involved. sectarian comments were made last season and young wylie decided to let it go. fairplay to the ballybay team for standing behind their player
A coward dies a thousand deaths a soldier only dies once