Tyrone County Football and Hurling

Started by Fear ón Srath Bán, April 01, 2007, 05:58:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bigpackiechestout

Quote from: southtyronegael on December 19, 2018, 10:10:40 PM
Quote from: bigpackiechestout on December 19, 2018, 02:24:47 PM
Quote from: southtyronegael on December 19, 2018, 12:55:28 PM
Canavans size is irrelevant. He has the ability and class to develop into a top class county footballer. Just don't see the rush to put pressure on the young lad. Pretty sure Clifford would have been a year older when brought in.

Nah Clifford is exactly one year older
is that not what I just said? Clifford is 20 on 22 jan. so he was 19 before he kicked a ball for Kerry seniors. canavan not 19 til april I think.

So Clifford was three months older than Darragh is now when he was brought on to the Kerry panel. Sorry, you're right - Canavan is far too young...

GetOverTheBar

Why are you comparing Canavan Jr with Clifford?

Clifford had just kicked something stupid like 4 goals in the All Ireland Minor Final, it's natural to come straight into your senior side from then.

Darragh Canavan has played about 4 senior games. That's not to say he's not a talent, obviously. But comparing them as players is a no contest at minor level.

RedHand88

Kyle Coney MOTM.

Yes its mckenna cup and its December and it doesnt matter but interesting none the less.

southtyronegael

omagh_gael

Sam's coming home amongst the bushes, lads.

BennyHarp

Quote from: GetOverTheBar on December 20, 2018, 10:54:30 AM

Clifford had just kicked something stupid like 4 goals in the All Ireland Minor Final, it's natural to come straight into your senior side from then.

Darragh Canavan has played about 4 senior games. That's not to say he's not a talent, obviously. But comparing them as players is a no contest at minor level.

Did you see Darragh's performance in the U17 final a few years ago? Was there a better u17 in Ireland that year?
That was never a square ball!!

omaghjoe

RedHand88

Quote from: omagh_gael on December 20, 2018, 11:42:57 PM
Sam's coming home amongst the bushes, lads.

Headbands and CDs at the ready.

oakleaflad

Quote from: BennyHarp on December 21, 2018, 05:23:47 AM

Did you see Darragh's performance in the U17 final a few years ago? Was there a better u17 in Ireland that year?
To be fair that was the transition year. Both U17 and U18 championships were played. We had our best U17s not playing in that U17 championship as they were with the U18s and i'm sure the likes of Kerry and Dublin were the same. Not saying that young Canavan isn't a great we player because he isand I see he got himself a score last night. I'd have held him out another year for what it's worth.

redhandefender

I only take positives from last night. All returning players looked sharp and hungry, coney looks in good nick maybe he feels he has a score to settle which can only be good for tyrone.

Also a kick in the @ss for last years squad.

Canavan looks very classy, if nothing else he is a joy to watch when he gets the ball.

Have a good Christmas looking forward to see how the team progresses in the new year

Norf Tyrone

Quote from: redhandefender on December 21, 2018, 10:08:16 AM
I only take positives from last night. All returning players looked sharp and hungry, coney looks in good nick maybe he feels he has a score to settle which can only be good for tyrone.

Also a kick in the @ss for last years squad.

Canavan looks very classy, if nothing else he is a joy to watch when he gets the ball.

Have a good Christmas looking forward to see how the team progresses in the new year

It was obviously only a glimpse at Canavan but he looks to have his da's brain if nothing else. There was one time he caught a ball with 2 men bundling him over in the process, for a mark. Instead of taking the handy option he made a beautiful offload to O'Neill (I think) for a goal chance.

Thought of the new fellas Kennedy looked like he could get a starting jersey. Of the returnees I actually thought McCurry was MOTM ahead of Coney but I appear to be in a minority of one on that thought.

WRT to the establishment I thought Meyler was superb. He's like a Duracell bunny! Morgan appears to be following the Beggan/ Gallen school and on 2 or 3 occasions he joined in the play outfield. He also looks to have established a new, less fussy placed kick and he's 2 x 45s sailed over the bar very comfortably.
Owen Roe O'Neills GAC, Leckpatrick, Tyrone

GetOverTheBar

I don't think you are getting the point, I'm not saying he's not a good player. Far from it. I'm saying he's played very, very little senior club football, take into account there'll be someone who'll love to take a slap at him.

There have been very few players ever, to go straight from minor/u17 whatever that are able to slot straight into a senior intercounty team. The jump is enormous, most players who shine at underage level, shine because they have a physical edge, be it speed/size/power that is instantly neutralised once they make the step up to senior level.

Perhaps this lad will be the McBrearty/Coulter figure from Tyrone but I just think it's a massive risk to be throwing him straight into the lions when really, there is no need just yet.

Norf Tyrone

Quote from: GetOverTheBar on December 21, 2018, 11:27:41 AM

I don't think you are getting the point, I'm not saying he's not a good player. Far from it. I'm saying he's played very, very little senior club football, take into account there'll be someone who'll love to take a slap at him.

There have been very few players ever, to go straight from minor/u17 whatever that are able to slot straight into a senior intercounty team. The jump is enormous, most players who shine at underage level, shine because they have a physical edge, be it speed/size/power that is instantly neutralised once they make the step up to senior level.

Perhaps this lad will be the McBrearty/Coulter figure from Tyrone but I just think it's a massive risk to be throwing him straight into the lions when really, there is no need just yet.

It would not surprise me to see him drop back to the U20s after the McKenna Cup. Throwing him in now gets rid of all the hype and pressure whenever he's thrown back in next year or whenever.
Owen Roe O'Neills GAC, Leckpatrick, Tyrone

BennyHarp

Time will tell but I don't think it's unfeasible to be calling up a guy who was the best player on an u17 all Ireland winning team two years ago. But sure maybe it's all a plan to get the u20 manager sacked.
That was never a square ball!!

GetOverTheBar

Quote from: BennyHarp on December 21, 2018, 11:54:01 AM

Time will tell but I don't think it's unfeasible to be calling up a guy who was the best player on an u17 all Ireland winning team two years ago. But sure maybe it's all a plan to get the u20 manager sacked.

I couldn't even tell you who that is to be perfectly honest so I'm not into some sort of conspiracy. I think Norf Tyrone has probably hit the nail on the head with his prior post.