Tyrone County Football and Hurling

Started by Fear ón Srath Bán, April 01, 2007, 05:58:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Knock Yer Mucker In

Quote from: trailer on February 19, 2018, 03:49:51 PM
We've a few real class acts Niall Sludden, Colm Cavanagh, Mattie Donnelly. But after that we have just ordinary footballers who could be interchanged without noticing any difference in the team. If we've designs on winning anything this year you'd want 10+ of the other squad members upping their performance levels significantly.
Dunno if Harte is the problem or not. Perhaps he's getting the best out of what he has at his disposal.

100% correct, that is essentially the problem, there is not one forward outside of Bradley we would fear playing a club championship game, and were no big shakes. when you go back 10/15 years and think that you could have SON, Canavan, Cavanagh, Mulligan Calvin, each would have scared the shite out of ya, and that's the bottom line.

BennyHarp

Quote from: Knock Yer Mucker In on February 19, 2018, 04:23:08 PM
We've a few real class acts Niall Sludden, Colm Cavanagh, Mattie Donnelly. But after that we have just ordinary footballers who could be interchanged without noticing any difference in the team. If we've designs on winning anything this year you'd want 10+ of the other squad members upping their performance levels significantly.
Dunno if Harte is the problem or not. Perhaps he's getting the best out of what he has at his disposal.

100% correct, that is essentially the problem, there is not one forward outside of Bradley we would fear playing a club championship game, and were no big shakes. when you go back 10/15 years and think that you could have SON, Canavan, Cavanagh, Mulligan Calvin, each would have scared the shite out of ya, and that's the bottom line.

So is back to back Ulster's and regular AI semi final appearances a decent return for a squad devoid of really top class forwards? It does suggest maybe Mickey has looked closely at the squad and decided we were never going to go toe to toe with Dublin and Kerry like we did 10 years ago.
That was never a square ball!!

Degrassi Hi

Quote from: southtyronegael on February 19, 2018, 03:10:15 PM
Conan grugan, omagh. Shea mc guigan Ardboe

So basically these 2 men are the missing links that will lead us to the Holy grail. Lord God
Both have been road tested at county level. Grugan whilst being stylish on the ball is both lazy & passive, was bullied round the field by old man Clerkin when he got his start.
McGuigan I'd have more time for but the great white hope of another Brian emerging to the scene raised the expectancy levels Shea didn't deliver & he left the Tyrone panel eith a few more easties to wash cars.

Someone also mentioned O'Donnell, great championship last year & happy for the kid after all that happened but manys a man had good club championships but wouldnt be near a county squad - in 2016 Dan McNulty was the man & there are countless numbers of examples of players having good tournament games but long term won't make the cut. Toto Schillachi's alot of them unfortunately.

bigpackiechestout

Quote from: Degrassi Hi on February 19, 2018, 04:51:22 PM

Quote from: southtyronegael on February 19, 2018, 03:10:15 PM
Conan grugan, omagh. Shea mc guigan Ardboe

So basically these 2 men are the missing links that will lead us to the Holy grail. Lord God
Both have been road tested at county level. Grugan whilst being stylish on the ball is both lazy & passive, was bullied round the field by old man Clerkin when he got his start.
McGuigan I'd have more time for but the great white hope of another Brian emerging to the scene raised the expectancy levels Shea didn't deliver & he left the Tyrone panel eith a few more easties to wash cars.

Someone also mentioned O'Donnell, great championship last year & happy for the kid after all that happened but manys a man had good club championships but wouldnt be near a county squad - in 2016 Dan McNulty was the man & there are countless numbers of examples of players having good tournament games but long term won't make the cut. Toto Schillachi's alot of them unfortunately.

A'la Sven Goran Erikson and Walcott in '06, maybe Mickey might call up Darragh Canavan ahead of the Championship!

Degrassi Hi

Quote from: Knock Yer Mucker In on February 19, 2018, 04:23:08 PM

With the exception of Canavan, - SON, Cavanagh, Mulligan & Cavlan would have played the majority of their club championship games in Intermediate or Junior football, yes they would have scared the shite out of teams in those divisions but when their teams played in the senior championship winning a first round would have been an achievement  for them. All of Tyrone panel presently are playing in division 1 bar maybe 1 or 2.

In hiding

I can smell another plant

trailer

Quote from: In hiding on February 19, 2018, 05:21:44 PM

Sorry but I'm a genuine contributor.

GetOverTheBar

Quote from: Degrassi Hi on February 19, 2018, 02:44:22 PM
You can say what you want about Ronan O'Neill but he has scored some vital goals in his career for both club and county.  Conditioning wise he was probably in better nick last year but its early days as far as championship is concerned. O'Neill still possesses a ruthless streak in front of goal when the opportunity presents itself.

Could any of the contributors to this site name a player or players playing club football in Tyrone that are capable of making the grade on this present County squad.  I can only think of one - Johnny Munroe (who opted out for personal Carmen reasons).

It's less a case of him being out of shape, Tyrone won't be judged on the league - they are past that stage of their development (even though I did state earlier they could be relegated). O'Neill and Tyrone themselves will be well ready for the real action in May.

I'd say O'Neill weight 'gain' is entirely thought out with the intention of losing whatever excess there might be/appear to be in the next 4-6 weeks.

Still all very early in 2018 as yet. Nobody has played their hand yet.

Club boi

Quote from: GetOverTheBar on February 19, 2018, 05:28:17 PM
Quote from: Degrassi Hi on February 19, 2018, 02:44:22 PM
You can say what you want about Ronan O'Neill but he has scored some vital goals in his career for both club and county.  Conditioning wise he was probably in better nick last year but its early days as far as championship is concerned. O'Neill still possesses a ruthless streak in front of goal when the opportunity presents itself.

Could any of the contributors to this site name a player or players playing club football in Tyrone that are capable of making the grade on this present County squad.  I can only think of one - Johnny Munroe (who opted out for personal Carmen reasons).

It's less a case of him being out of shape, Tyrone won't be judged on the league - they are past that stage of their development (even though I did state earlier they could be relegated). O'Neill and Tyrone themselves will be well ready for the real action in May.

I'd say O'Neill weight 'gain' is entirely thought out with the intention of losing whatever excess there might be/appear to be in the next 4-6 weeks.

Still all very early in 2018 as yet. Nobody has played their hand yet.

Correct, Dublin have played half a team, Donegal blooding in new players, Kerry playing with a pile of youngsters but Tyrone - Full Out bar CC and cant win a game

Long year ahead

In hiding

Quote from: trailer on February 19, 2018, 05:27:42 PM
Quote from: In hiding on February 19, 2018, 05:21:44 PM

Sorry but I'm a genuine contributor.

Fair enough, possibly my mistake

southtyronegael

Quote from: skeog on February 19, 2018, 09:39:33 AM
I see we have emailgate, FBI may be called in Roisin suing over email sent to newstalk over affairs at CB level in 2017.
care to elaborate on this?

bigtogs

in the last 15 years or so Tyrone won 4 all ireland minor titles also got beat in a final, under 21's won one all ireland and lost one, St Pats Dungannon and Omagh CBS won hogan cups, We won 3 All ireland vocational school at county level,St Cairan Ballygawley and Holy Trinity Cookstown won all ireland's..... So we have plenty to be chewing on...... I remember in 2008 our county chairman at the time said the conveyor belt of talent was frightening..... where did it go too!!!

redzone

Quote from: bigtogs on February 19, 2018, 07:51:37 PM
in the last 15 years or so Tyrone won 4 all ireland minor titles also got beat in a final, under 21's won one all ireland and lost one, St Pats Dungannon and Omagh CBS won hogan cups, We won 3 All ireland vocational school at county level,St Cairan Ballygawley and Holy Trinity Cookstown won all ireland's..... So we have plenty to be chewing on...... I remember in 2008 our county chairman at the time said the conveyor belt of talent was frightening..... where did it go too!!!
???? We have won 3 all Ireland seniors thas last 15 years.

In hiding

Quote from: redzone on February 19, 2018, 07:56:09 PM
Redzone you are either ungenuine or stupid, possibly both tbf

bigtogs

Quote from: redzone on February 19, 2018, 07:56:09 PM

I do know that been nearly 10 years from last win and the bulk of the players on the teams names above never materialised for some reason at senior level.......