CONNACHT U-21 FINAL, MAYO v ROSCOMMON

Started by Shrewdness, April 01, 2007, 03:14:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shrewdness

Do any of ye give Roscommon a decent chance in the final, next Saturday, or are the red and green ribbons already on the trophy?

As Mayo have about 8 of last year's All Ireland winning team on board, and with home advantage, they must start as hot favourites.
Roscommon would have a young u-21 team, and finished yesterday's semi final win over Sligo with no fewer than 7 of last year's All Ireland Winning minors on the field. Most of the rest of yesterday's team have already forced their way onto the Roscommon senior team.

Will the John Maughan factor have any bearing on the proceedings, or is it just a sideshow for the media to hype up?

The Sligo lads on this site might have different views, but to me, Ros were more superior against Sligo than the 1-14 to 0-10 scoreline suggests.

Interesting game ahead, or Mayo to have too much class for a young Ros team??

whassupp2

Can't see Ros' winning even though they were impressive at times against Sligo.
4/5 players who played against Sligo featured in what was a brutal game of ball today against Leitrim. 2 games in 2 days could take its toll.
However considering the circumstances he left Mayo, I'm sure Maughan will be ready to have a right crack at them.

take the opportunity of a lifetime in the lifetime of the opportunity

Rossfan

Quote from: whassupp2 on April 01, 2007, 08:24:41 PM
Can't see Ros' winning even though they were impressive at times against Sligo.
4, I'm sure Maughan will be ready to have a right crack at them.

We have little hope next Saturday but it will be good experience for the young lads.
As for Maughan - why do ye hate us so much to inflict him on us ?
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Tatler Jack

Expect it will be handy enough for Mayo. Not sure Maughan is too motivated to try to win anything with Ros - going through the motions I think.

Ryano

Totally agree. It's just a matter of Mayo turning up to collect the cup. They are AI champions after all, sure Roscommon are happy to just get to a final! We will turn up and act as cannon fodder for the far superior Mayo team and their fans. A day out in Castlebar is all, might have a look around the shops and then off home....... In fact why not just hand over the cup now, tis a formality after all ::)

stephenite

Quote from: Ryano on April 02, 2007, 12:44:36 PM
A day out in Castlebar is all, might have a look around the shops and then off home.......

Leo Doherty has some grand new pairs of chinos in ;)
Seriously, don't think anyone will be taking the Rossies for granted on this, or any other game in fairness

blast05

Quotethe far superior Mayo team and their fans

Can't comment about the team but 100% correct about the fans  ;D

OirthearMhaigheo

I have to say this is a new approach from Roscommon supporters, you're actually playing down your chances??? well come of it anyway! Mayo U-21s won the AI last with 5 or 6 of the minors that LOST the All-Ireland in 2005. The fact that Ross have 7 or so from a winning minor team suggests they will be a fair old force this year. Not a chance of the Mayo management taking the Rossies lightly, I'd say it will be a much closer game that either of the semis. We have a new injury worry with K O'Malley having to be substituted yesterday, he would be a massive loss. That probably evens things up a little, but hopefully we'll pip ye by a point or two in the end

Rossfan

Quote from: OirthearMhaigheo on April 02, 2007, 01:45:19 PM
. Not a chance of the Mayo management taking the Rossies lightly,

At least ye have a ******g management >:(
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

spectator

Even so, Oirthear,  Mayo are reigning Connacht & AIF champions, have home advantage & also have a good number of last year's winning team still available.
Galway were impressively despatched, which is a good indicator of Mayo's abilities.

It's not a question of a new approach from Rossies, but a realistic one.

We're not a 'fair old force' as you suggested, but rather are a promising 'young force' at best.

For this young Rossie side it's a very steep learning curve at present.

Alas, I think we'll probably find this stronger, more experienced Mayo side too high a hurdle to jump this time around. :(

Redgreenery

Would expect Mayo to win because they are probably still running strong since last year and have serious talent on the team plus with home advantage I can't see roscommon having much of a chance.

Redgreenery

Put this on the Tyrone v Mayo thread but as K O Malley is also on the U-21 Team it also relates to this one:

From gaa.ie:

QuoteMayo may have secured a semi-final berth last weekend but they have lost netminder Kenneth O'Malley, who sustained a thumb injury during the Allianz National Football League Division 1A win over Dublin, for a number of weeks.

The Ballinrobe clubman is likely to miss the Westerners' final regulation round game away to Tyrone this weekend.

O'Malley dislocated his thumb and will not be available for the final regulation round league tie as well as Mayo's Connacht U21 FC final against Roscommon.

Shrewdness

I wouldn't get obsessed with thinking that Galway is the yardstick by which everything must be measured....Don't forget Mayo minors were warm favourites to beat Ros in last years Connacht Final in Castlebar, and we all know what happened there!!!!
Ros must start well next Saturday, or i fear it could all go wrong in a big way.

rosnarun

any one who thinks Maughan wont be motivated to bwin with the sheepstealers know nothing about the man. and its not any silly getting one back against mayo . the man is a winner full stop. and hes welcome back to the mayo job at any time as the blueshirt has a lot of proving to do that he has actually improved the mayo team yet.
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

stephenite

Quote from: rosnarun on April 03, 2007, 09:33:11 AM
hes welcome back to the mayo job at any time

Thankfully that won't be your decision to make - like George Bush, JM will not get a third term