Write your own football CV

Started by irunthev, April 01, 2009, 11:12:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AbbeySider

Quote from: the Deel Rover on April 02, 2009, 02:48:57 PM
i see where your comng from Abbeysider but in fairness a club would have to try and say that otherwise they would have feck all at training . Don't get me wrong i was a "dud" having bursed me bollix training , missing stags , holidays in the hope of making the team for years. I have  played plenty of times for cross at league level and a few senior championship games which i was delighted to make the team however the league medals mean more to me as i played a part in winning those . I know people say its a squad and everthing but at the end of the day if you don't make the championship 15 or come on as a sub the medals you win mean feck all to you well they mean feck all to me anyway.

Our subs get their medals first. They mean more than bodies to "make up the numbers".
They sweat, bleed and give the same and sometimes more than everyone else at training so they are as important as the next.
On a personal level, its a life style choice for a lot of guys. You can chose a healthy lifestyle, playing and training at the highest level, knowing what its like to be at the peak of fitness, channelling negative energy into training, watching your diet, focusing on goals and giving a shit about something. Or you can chose becoming another tragic member of the barstool brigade, giving out about the "raw deal" and winning games from the stool.

In a team ethos, a big squad is good for morale and you get better competition because of it.
Everyone trying hard and pushing for places will drive everyone else on.
The honesty shown by people on the fringes and people leading by example at training brings other guys on and pushes them on.

AbbeySider

Quote from: corn02 on April 02, 2009, 03:02:11 PM
Jesus christ will wind your neck in, it's a joke thread.

Ah no, im not trying to get at you at all!  ;)

Didnt mean to turn the mood sombre !

the Deel Rover

I know what the subs do Abbeysider as i siad i have done it for years i'll have to have an operation next year to have the splinters removed  ;)
Crossmolina Deel Rovers
All Ireland Club Champions 2001

The GAA

You guys are referring to subs who are committed but just below the mark and capable of competing in training and playing league football.

i've a feeling corn is referring to a completely different type of sub

corn02

Quote from: AbbeySider on April 02, 2009, 03:13:24 PM
Quote from: corn02 on April 02, 2009, 03:02:11 PM
Jesus christ will wind your neck in, it's a joke thread.

Ah no, im not trying to get at you at all!  ;)

Didnt mean to turn the mood sombre !

Ha, fair enough and if i didn;t come across jokey I apologise.

corn02

Quote from: The GAA on April 02, 2009, 03:41:41 PM
You guys are referring to subs who are committed but just below the mark and capable of competing in training and playing league football.

A Corn02 sub if you will.

It is actually a good question. Should club teams call panels?

The GAA

Quote from: corn02 on April 02, 2009, 03:45:11 PM
Quote from: The GAA on April 02, 2009, 03:41:41 PM

A Corn02 sub if you will.

It is actually a good question. Should club teams call panels?

Bigger clubs can. If smaller clubs apply a quality criteria fr panels they may end up with a panel of 17 or 18. or 12...

muppet

Quote from: AbbeySider on April 02, 2009, 03:11:31 PM
i see where your comng from Abbeysider but in fairness a club would have to try and say that otherwise they would have feck all at training . Don't get me wrong i was a "dud" having bursed me bollix training , missing stags , holidays in the hope of making the team for years. I have  played plenty of times for cross at league level and a few senior championship games which i was delighted to make the team however the league medals mean more to me as i played a part in winning those . I know people say its a squad and everthing but at the end of the day if you don't make the championship 15 or come on as a sub the medals you win mean feck all to you well they mean feck all to me anyway.

Our subs get their medals first. They mean more than bodies to "make up the numbers".
They sweat, bleed and give the same and sometimes more than everyone else at training so they are as important as the next.
On a personal level, its a life style choice for a lot of guys. You can chose a healthy lifestyle, playing and training at the highest level, knowing what its like to be at the peak of fitness, channelling negative energy into training, watching your diet, focusing on goals and giving a shit about something. Or you can chose becoming another tragic member of the barstool brigade, giving out about the "raw deal" and winning games from the stool.

In a team ethos, a big squad is good for morale and you get better competition because of it.
Everyone trying hard and pushing for places will drive everyone else on.
The honesty shown by people on the fringes and people leading by example at training brings other guys on and pushes them on.

What medals?
MWWSI 2017

time ticking away

Quote from: irunthev on April 01, 2009, 10:17:52 PM
A player ahead of his time........ was always best suited to the over-40s.

Limited talent, great dedication, trained hard and fell out with just about everyone.

I also have the not so proud boast of having punched one of my own team mates on three different occassions (three seperate team mates).

Like I say...... fell out with just about everyone

My CV...
Played on 4 different teams with irunthev. He never hit me but he left me stranded after a match once because i hadn't tracked my man back even though we were home and dry. He could've taken a swing at bensars once though ;D 
canavan is the man canavan is the man ee aye adi ooh.......

INDIANA

Quote from: AbbeySider on April 02, 2009, 02:36:17 PM
Quote from: corn02 on April 02, 2009, 12:54:15 PM
I finally got the hint when before a minor championship game the team was announced and I wasn;t picked. In the warm-up the manager said I had an important job (secret weapon for last 20 me thinks!) but, alas, my important job was to make sure we didn't lose any balls in the warm-up.

I can only look at the duds hanging round our senior team without a chance of playing time and shake my head at them for not getting the hint.

Life does not require us to be the biggest or the best. It asks only that we try.

Those duds that you refer to are at least aspiring to something and trying to better themselves.
There are choosing not to sit on some idle barstool in a pub pining and whining about the "raw deal" they got with their local club and why they wont play football for them because of it. Too many lads make that tragic choice.

I wouldnt knock them for trying, in fact our club has a philosophy they are as important as your best player. Nothing wrong with a big panel of lads, all enthusiastic to play.

very poor attitude. glad you were never part of any squad i was involved in.

gerry

Quote from: Puckoon on April 01, 2009, 07:43:03 PM
1986 . Picked stones at drumquin GFC and got my first kit.

1988-1998 Came, Saw, Conkered.

manys a man would be proud of that and its good to see the townies out helping us.

BTW did you feck the stones in the fairywater when you were finish
God bless the hills of Dooish, be they heather-clad or lea,

DUBSFORSAM1

Not much in the football....was the original 6ft stick insect in school etc so got battered playing football but took revenge playing hurling which was great fun...

Lost 3 Dublin school hurling finals, lost 1 London hurling championship final, won a number of European Football titles, played for Europe in the Gaelic RWC 2002 and managed the Lux ladies to European title and also managed the European womens team in the Gaelic RWC 2002...

irunthev

Quote from: time ticking away on April 02, 2009, 07:01:24 PM
Quote from: irunthev on April 01, 2009, 10:17:52 PM
A player ahead of his time........ was always best suited to the over-40s.

Limited talent, great dedication, trained hard and fell out with just about everyone.

I also have the not so proud boast of having punched one of my own team mates on three different occassions (three seperate team mates).

Like I say...... fell out with just about everyone

My CV...
Played on 4 different teams with irunthev. He never hit me but he left me stranded after a match once because i hadn't tracked my man back even though we were home and dry. He could've taken a swing at bensars once though ;D 

I think I may have left you and a certain rhb stranded in Acton one night too after a game when I needed the big blue minibus to take a woman home.

stpauls

won league and championship medals at U10, U12, U14 and U16 with Mullaghbawn, won a Feile as well, and went to the All-Ireland series.
played for Munich Colmcilles in 2001-2002, and played on the same team as DFS1 in the RWC in 2002.
currently playing Senior football for St. Paul's, Co. Down, hence my name, and hoping to win a league or championship medal before i retire in a couple of years!  ;D

DUBSFORSAM1

Quote from: stpauls on April 03, 2009, 08:17:54 AM
won league and championship medals at U10, U12, U14 and U16 with Mullaghbawn, won a Feile as well, and went to the All-Ireland series.
played for Munich Colmcilles in 2001-2002, and played on the same team as DFS1 in the RWC in 2002.
currently playing Senior football for St. Paul's, Co. Down, hence my name, and hoping to win a league or championship medal before i retire in a couple of years!  ;D

St Pauls....wasn't the most successful team of all time though that one was it  - we did well in the drinking competitions though if I remember correctly.. ;D