Where are they now.... The Underdogs??

Started by irunthev, March 25, 2009, 10:31:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

irunthev

Apart from the obvious players like Pierce O'Neill and Kieran Donaghy, anyone know the feats of any of the other players who have appeared on the men's version of Thh Underdogs over the past few years.

The Corporal

Steven Poacher who was on it the 1st year is now manager of a club in Down called An Riocht (Marty Clarke's home club) even tho he is still only about 28. Dan McCabe also from a club in Down (Drumgath) is still palying club football

David McKeown

Does any one have a list of the squad.  I tried looking last night but couldnt find one
2022 Allianz League Prediction Competition Winner

irunthev

I think all these guys were first year participants.

Eoghan Bradley made it on to the Tyrone panel for a few years and then spent two years in Oz. I believe he is back in Ireland now.

Martin Kennedy went to Oz and played there for a year while working for West Coast Eagles then played for and coached London county team in '07 and went back to Ireland only to tear his cruciate first session back with St Vincents, hasn't yet made a full recovery.

Eddie Nealin (I think that's right) was in London a couple of years ago but I believe he was still playing for Skibbereen, didn't sign for any London club.

Hugh Murphy played one season out-field for Kingdom Kerry Gaels (circa '06) in London but was keeper for Underdogs first year.

AZOffaly

Was Ronan Hussey on that show? He's playing for Sneem and South Kerry I think.

Tommy Tight Lips

dan mccabe is currently plying his trade with the Wolfetones club out in boston

Our Nail Loney

Quote from: Tommy Tight Lips on March 26, 2009, 12:07:59 PM
dan mccabe is currently plying his trade with the Wolfetones club out in boston

Was John Haughey on this?? Last seen driving into the sea in Newcastle...

timmyot501

Underdogs Team v Dublin Senior Football Team
Sunday 14th December 2003

Glenn Kelly,  Dublin
Cathal O'Shea, Kerry
Patrick Kelly, (Captain) Monaghan
John Haughey, Down
Fergus McAuliffe, Kerry
Robbie Hannon, Kildare
Kevin Cotter, Cork
Murt Kelleher, Cork
Donal McAnallen, Tyrone
Padraig McGovern, Cavan
John Kelly, Dublin
Brian McGeary, Armagh
Steven Poacher, Down
Sean Hussey, Kerry
Brian O'Neachtáin, Brian Mayo

Subs:
Joe Cunnane, Roscommon
Mark Wright, Kildare
John McElholm, Tyrone
Seamus Kane, Donegal
Ciron Whoriskey, Donegal
Rory O'Donnell, Donegal
Colm Donohue, Dublin
Padraig Gerald Kelly, Galway
Craig Mulligan, Dublin

I think this was the team from the first series but maybe there were earlier series.  

stpauls

Quote from: saffron sam2 on March 26, 2009, 11:04:10 AM
Quote from: The Corporal on March 26, 2009, 08:44:38 AM
Steven Poacher who was on it the 1st year is now manager of a club in Down called An Riocht (Marty Clarke's home club) even tho he is still only about 28. Dan McCabe also from a club in Down (Drumgath) is still palying club football

Last seen sweating in out on a Mitchel's team in the lower echelons of Down division 3 football. Part of last year's Burren dream management team too.

seriously, how did that man make it on to the underdogs team, did they just pick the names out of a hat? he wasn't a great footballer when i was at school with him, and he wasn't very impressive when we played Mitchells in the Championship last year either.

corn02

screenexile

Bryansford I think he was... I played with him a couple of years ago for St. Peter's of Manchester and Lancashire. It was some trip for him to get to our place from Carlisle but fair play to him he did it.

The Corporal

Aye John Haughey of Annaclone, think he was Annaclone's captain a couple of years ago.
Poacher was a poor enough footballer and not sure how he started the Underdogs team.

Hard to believe Donaghy and Pearse O'Neill came from this, 2 quality players

kevmy

Quote from: The Corporal on March 26, 2009, 01:44:03 PM
Aye John Haughey of Annaclone, think he was Annaclone's captain a couple of years ago.
Poacher was a poor enough footballer and not sure how he started the Underdogs team.

Hard to believe Donaghy and Pearse O'Neill came from this, 2 quality players

Well I suppose Donaghy would have been seen as more of a basketballer than anything else before that. Don't know what the stroy was with O'Neill

irunthev

2004 v Kerry

Underdogs -
H Murphy (Kerry),
E Bradley, M Kennedy (Dublin), L Kiely (Cork),
M Horgan (Kerry), M Murphy (Armagh), G Britton (Donegal),
C Donaghy (Kerry), P O'Neill (Cork),
P Brady (Cavan), B O'Muiri (Armagh) 1-5, D O'Connell (Cork),
B Rafferty (Armagh), S Wallace (Kerry) 2-2, D McCabe (Down) 0-2.

Subs: M Herbert (Kildare) for H Murphy, A Gavin (Roscommon) for P Brady, P O'Connor for Rafferty

Anyone any the wiser??

Muzz

John McElholm, Tyrone

P.E. - Teacher in St. Marys Magherafelt?