Whats the worst sporting injury you've had

Started by illdecide, February 13, 2009, 02:19:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

illdecide

I know this could depress ya reading this and hopefully not bring anyone bad luck but i'm just trying to get a picture of the most common injurys picked up playing GAA..

My own personal ones are:
1) Torn achilles tendon
2) Broken collar bone
3) Hamstring pulls (at least 5 times over the years)

If i can remember more i'll insert them later
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

Yes I Would

Broken collar bone was a **** of a thing.
Ankle ligaments, Broken fingers and thumbs also unpleasant.

Have had tennis elbow a few times but never missed a game with it!!

Declan

Chipped my pelvis as a result of tearing my hammer/arse muscle while sprinting flat out for a ball - collapsed as if I'd been shot.
Out for 9 months - never forget the pain. Took about 3 years until I had full feeling back in my thigh muscle as nerves took that long to repair  

brokencrossbar1

Dislocated collar bone, popped out after running full belt into Mick McGeeney from the Bridge.  Went over a bump on the way to doctors and it went back in.  The going in was more painful :'(  A few broken toes and fingers.

Apart from that I have been fairly lucky, never had a hamstring tear/groin etc(grabs every piece of wood in the vicinity to ensure that luck continues!)

screenexile

Had quite a few:

Broken wrist
Numerous broken fingers
Broken Rib
Numerous Sprained Ankles
Sprained Medial Ligament
Lower back problems
Torn Calf Muscle
Knocked out 2/3 times
8 Stitches just above my eye
Torn Cruciate Ligament (Had the op 6 months ago and on the way back now)

None of my injuries have kept me out for any serious amount of time except the Cruciate. Wrist was a 6 week job at the start of the season and my medial ligament injury happened last game of the season and needed 3 months reast so was lucky enough.

Cruciate was a nightmare. Happened 3rd game of the league and during our most successful year in a long time. Had to wait 3 months for op and then 6 months after that until I can play and resume contact training. Seeing the surgeon on Monday week so fingers crossed!

Minder

Been lucky enough, worst was 12 stitches right above my eye (hurling) thanks to a dirty Sarsfields ba*tard, in fairness there is no other sort of Sarsfields player, from Belfast.........He retired before i was able to exact my retribution. He knew he was gonna get it.....
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

stpauls

only had 2 real injuries playing football thank god (touch wood), a broken collarbone (from running into BC's cousin when coming out to gather a loose pass), and a fractured wrist!!

have torn ligaments twice in both ankles playing basketball though!!

thebandit

Broke my left ankle in 2 places and tore the ligaments to shreds  :(

winsamsoon

This could take a while

1. Broken Collar Bone
2. Gilmores groin (Had the op and it's still a bollox 2 years later
3. Both ankle ligaments
4. Shin splints ( I went to a witch doctor to cure them in Lisburn Eddie something) The man was a masacist. He threw me up on the kitchen table and proceeded to run his knuckle down my shin ( I lost sme sweat that night)
5. Numerous finger and thumb digs. You know the one where the ball hit you square on the end of a finger when it is outstretched)
6 But for initial pain there is nothing beats a kick in the grigs or a tiny clip on one of the nuts :o :o :o :o sweet christ. Training tonight hope the injury ghost passes me by.

I remember one time sitting injured watching the lads train, when this guy came out and called three of us (who were injured watching) chocolate men. He hadn't run 40 yards tilll he pulled up like he had been shot  :D :D :D I told him it was a sniper that got him  :D :D Moral don't mock others that are injured. ;)
I never forget a face but in your case I will make an exception.

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: stpauls on February 13, 2009, 02:55:05 PM
only had 2 real injuries playing football thank god (touch wood), a broken collarbone (from running into BC's cousin when coming out to gather a loose pass), and a fractured wrist!!

have torn ligaments twice in both ankles playing basketball though!!

I taught them well :P

irunthev

Just about to turn forty and my 25 years if football have left me with:

1. A collapsed disk in my lower back
2. Was told last week I need an ankle joint replacement in my right ankle within the next twelve months
3. Three broken teeth
4. Just had a operation to remove a Baker's cyst from my left knee
5. One torn hamstring
6. Several twisted ankles
7. Arthritis in my ankle and knees

Was it worth it?

From where I sit now....... no way

heineken_on_tap

Put out my knee cap - was never the same player after that :P

ccosgrave

A broken collar bone was probably the worst.

ONeill

I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

laceer

both thumbs broken
hernia
back/neck trouble when i was younger
broken foot and arm from playing basketball - who did you play for stpauls?