The Many Faces of US Politics...

Started by Tyrones own, March 20, 2009, 09:29:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

J70

I wouldn't be too hard on DeBlasio for urging people to still get out about their business on March 1. At that point, it hadn't hit. It's not like he was calling it a hoax. Plus, there was a lot of genuine concern about the toll on Chinatown and Flushing businesses as people started deserting Asian restaurants and so on in February. It was a few days later that the gravity of the situation started to become clear. My kids met AOC and Chuck Schumer on March 1 at the St Patrick's Day parade in Sunnyside in Queens. Everyone was still out and about. No one was calling for social distancing at that point. We were all aware it might become an issue in a few weeks, especially after the horror stories subsequently started to emerge from Italy.

Obviously things changed in the following week or two, which is where DeBlasio made the wrong call on the schools. His motives were defensible; he was concerned about the availability of healthcare workers and the role of schools in providing meals and, basically, day care for poorer children, but that could be worked around, as has been done. Thankfully Cuomo stepped in and made the call for him, calls he has continued to make ( gleefully I'm sure- those two boys despise each other!). As a result, Cuomo's approvals are probably sky-high; DeBlasio, not so much.

RadioGAAGAA

Quote from: whitey on March 31, 2020, 07:31:27 PM
Trump broadly ridiculed and attacked for daring suggest medical supplies were bring stolen

Where did he get such an outlandish idea?

FROM GOVERNOR CUOMOS MARCH 6Th PRESS CONFERENCE

I haven't seen any retractions, corrections or apologies from the lame stream media.  All they're doing at this point is helping Trump

No whitey - difference is Trump said they are going out the back door. Which means he is saying the staff are stealing them.

Cuomo didn't imply that - he said people were stealing them to sell on.

Quite an important distinction.
i usse an speelchekor

whitey

Quote from: RadioGAAGAA on March 31, 2020, 07:46:10 PM
Quote from: whitey on March 31, 2020, 07:31:27 PM
Trump broadly ridiculed and attacked for daring suggest medical supplies were bring stolen

Where did he get such an outlandish idea?

FROM GOVERNOR CUOMOS MARCH 6Th PRESS CONFERENCE

I haven't seen any retractions, corrections or apologies from the lame stream media.  All they're doing at this point is helping Trump

No whitey - difference is Trump said they are going out the back door. Which means he is saying the staff are stealing them.

Cuomo didn't imply that - he said people were stealing them to sell on.

Quite an important distinction.

Which people were stealing them?

Who do you define as staff?

Would you include contract cleaners and contract security and other temporary outsiders?

I can't imagine patients or visitors have keys to a supply closet?

RadioGAAGAA

Quote from: whitey on March 31, 2020, 07:58:24 PM

Would you include contract cleaners and contract security and other temporary outsiders?

If you read the rest of the article you posted - you'd have observed they are being stolen from high-frequency areas - not closets.

That is why they are now having to lock them away. Cuomo's presser was tandem with staff having to lock stuff up.
i usse an speelchekor

whitey

Quote from: RadioGAAGAA on March 31, 2020, 08:17:25 PM

If you read the rest of the article you posted - you'd have observed they are being stolen from high-frequency areas - not closets.

That is why they are now having to lock them away. Cuomo's presser was tandem with staff having to lock stuff up.

Here's what Cuomo said

"Not just people taking a couple or three, I mean just actual thefts of those products," Cuomo said on March 7. "I've asked the state police to do an investigation, look at places that are selling masks, medical equipment, protective wear, feeding the anxiety."

Asking the State Police to investigate implies that there's some wide scale theft going on not just a crime of someone grabbing a handful in a high traffic area

RadioGAAGAA

Quote from: whitey on March 31, 2020, 08:31:25 PM

Here's what Cuomo said

"Not just people taking a couple or three, I mean just actual thefts of those products," Cuomo said on March 7. "I've asked the state police to do an investigation, look at places that are selling masks, medical equipment, protective wear, feeding the anxiety."

Asking the State Police to investigate implies that there's some wide scale theft going on not just a crime of someone grabbing a handful in a high traffic area

Did you not want to quote the very next paragraph no?

Let me help you out sure:

QuoteDr. Shira Doron, an infectious disease physician and hospital epidemiologist at Tufts Medical Center in Boston, told Modern Healthcare she had witnessed thefts of masks and other protective equipment from high-trafficked areas in her facility.

i usse an speelchekor

Gabriel_Hurl

whitey

Quote from: RadioGAAGAA on March 31, 2020, 08:34:06 PM
Quote from: whitey on March 31, 2020, 08:31:25 PM

Here's what Cuomo said

Did you not want to quote the very next paragraph no?

Let me help you out sure:

QuoteDr. Shira Doron, an infectious disease physician and hospital epidemiologist at Tufts Medical Center in Boston, told Modern Healthcare she had witnessed thefts of masks and other protective equipment from high-trafficked areas in her facility.

That's in Boston......we're specifically  taking about New York and Cuomo and DeBlasio and the New York State Police investigation. All three articles I linked in (to the best of my knowledge) relate to New York and the blowback from there

J70

Trump is implying that the massive rise in demand is down to theft. There is absolutely no basis for that.

No doubt he was looking for something to push back against the criticism of him for his lack of help in coordinating the procurement of PPE among the states and was told of Cuomo's statement THREE WEEKS previously.

Now, the stories should of course acknowledge that Cuomo did earlier raise the issue. Doesn't change Trump's attempt, once again, at blame shifting though.

whitey

Quote from: J70 on March 31, 2020, 09:15:14 PM
Trump is implying that the massive rise in demand is down to theft. There is absolutely no basis for that.

No doubt he was looking for something to push back against the criticism of him for his lack of help in coordinating the procurement of PPE among the states and was told of Cuomo's statement THREE WEEKS previously.

Now, the stories should of course acknowledge that Cuomo did earlier raise the issue. Doesn't change Trump's attempt, once again, at blame shifting though.

Look....Trump is a fvckin clown of the highest order and cant string 2 coherent thoughts together

Non stop verbal diarhea about fvckin everything

He makes it very easy for the media to take things he says and spin them into things he didn't say, but flat out fabrications like this only help him because he can say.....seee, what did I tell you FAKE NEWS

Gabriel_Hurl

Pence is so far up Trump's hole you can see his eyes when Trump talks.

J70

Quote from: whitey on March 31, 2020, 09:51:08 PM
Quote from: J70 on March 31, 2020, 09:15:14 PM

Look....Trump is a fvckin clown of the highest order and cant string 2 coherent thoughts together

Non stop verbal diarhea about fvckin everything

He makes it very easy for the media to take things he says and spin them into things he didn't say, but flat out fabrications like this only help him because he can say.....seee, what did I tell you FAKE NEWS

There was no spin.

He flat out blamed the rocketing demand on theft at a time when medical staff in the NYC region are under immense pressure from the huge and increasing influx of patients.

whitey

Well then maybe Cuomo should have kept his fvckin mouth shut and not said that  he was having the NYSP investigate the theft of all types of medical equipment from hospitals that was showing up for resale elsewhere

J70

Cuomo brought it up three weeks ago in reference to reports that thefts had taken place. He hasn't mentioned it being a factor in the extreme shortages they're struggling to keep up with, despite it being a daily topic of discussion. Every hospital around is rationing masks and putting out policies on how to preserve them. You seriously saying that management are not closely watching the supplies the past few weeks, especially after Cuomo's warning?

Trump, on the other hand, is blaming staff theft for the huge rise in demand and current shortages, NOT the pandemic- level surge in patients with a highly contagious and dangerous disease. He's literally saying it's like Goodfellas, where the booze is unloaded off the truck and sold out the back door of Sonny's restaurant. He's telling all those desperate doctors, nurses, nurses aides, custodians and porters that it's their own fault they've no PPE, that there are a bunch of immoral thieves among their ranks. No doubt he's also trying to push a button or two among his base about those scummy, big city liberals and immigrants.

The two are not the same thing.