Pick a song you will never get sick of listening to...

Started by 5 Sams, July 28, 2007, 07:42:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Denn Forever

I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

seafoid

Jesus built my hotrod- Ministry

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GXCh9OhDiCI

Gibby came in absolutely shitfaced. He couldn't even walk. I looked at him, laughed, and said, "Hey man. Well, let's see what you've got." We set him up with a stool, gave him a microphone and a fifth of Jack, and played the track. But we didn't exactly get lightning in a bottle. Gibby started babbling some incoherent nonsense, knocked over the whiskey, and fell off the stool. We propped him back up again and heard, "Bing, bang, dingy, dong, wah, wah, wah, ling, a bong..." CRASH! Back on the floor. We went on like that for take after take, getting nothing but gibberish with a few discernible words, like "baby," "gun," "trailer park," "around," and "Why? Why? Why?!" Finally Gibby passed out. He was gone. And that was it. But I knew there was something there. If only I could extract the magic, it would be like pulling a diamond ring out of a septic tank.
I edited the song on my two-track at home. I spliced so much tape to make his gobbled-gook should like words; I swear to God, even in my fucked-up state, I had the rock-steady hands to conduct delicate brain surgery. Cut-tape, cut-tape, cut-tape - all night long. Three weeks later it started to sound pretty good. I added these samples about drag racing, put in these crazy backward tape noises, race car sounds, a redneck thrashing beat, and this off-kilter riff. Mikey did these wild blues solos, then I added the nonsense spoken-word intro to go along with Gibby's moronic lyrics: "Soon I discovered that this rock thing was true/Jerry Lee Lewis was the devil/Jesus was an architect, previous to his career as a prophet/All of a sudden I found myself in love with the world/So there was only one thing I could do was ding a ding dang my dang a long ling long." To this day journalists ask me what the intro and lyrics are about, and I honestly have no f**king clue. We were just winging it.

From the autobiography "Ministry: The Lost Gospels According to Al Jourgensen".
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Syferus

I don't ever see much new music in this thread. Does anyone here keep up with what's hot? What's your favourite House musician? Synthpop? Chillwave? Hip-hop?

Therealdonald

armaghniac

Quote from: Syferus on March 14, 2018, 03:24:05 PM
I don't ever see much new music in this thread. Does anyone here keep up with what's hot? What's your favourite House musician? Synthpop? Chillwave? Hip-hop?

Music is like football, there hasn't been anything of any use in the last decade.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

seafoid

Quote from: armaghniac on March 14, 2018, 06:02:31 PM
Quote from: Syferus on March 14, 2018, 03:24:05 PM

Music is like football, there hasn't been anything of any use in the last decade.
This is as good as the Galway forwards on the counter attack
Andrea Oliva-Decomposing

https://youtu.be/Sx624DwZEDQ
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

ONARAGGATIP

Quote from: seafoid on March 14, 2018, 02:08:46 PM
Jesus built my hotrod- Ministry

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GXCh9OhDiCI

Gibby came in absolutely shitfaced. He couldn't even walk. I looked at him, laughed, and said, "Hey man. Well, let's see what you've got." We set him up with a stool, gave him a microphone and a fifth of Jack, and played the track. But we didn't exactly get lightning in a bottle. Gibby started babbling some incoherent nonsense, knocked over the whiskey, and fell off the stool. We propped him back up again and heard, "Bing, bang, dingy, dong, wah, wah, wah, ling, a bong..." CRASH! Back on the floor. We went on like that for take after take, getting nothing but gibberish with a few discernible words, like "baby," "gun," "trailer park," "around," and "Why? Why? Why?!" Finally Gibby passed out. He was gone. And that was it. But I knew there was something there. If only I could extract the magic, it would be like pulling a diamond ring out of a septic tank.
I edited the song on my two-track at home. I spliced so much tape to make his gobbled-gook should like words; I swear to God, even in my fucked-up state, I had the rock-steady hands to conduct delicate brain surgery. Cut-tape, cut-tape, cut-tape - all night long. Three weeks later it started to sound pretty good. I added these samples about drag racing, put in these crazy backward tape noises, race car sounds, a redneck thrashing beat, and this off-kilter riff. Mikey did these wild blues solos, then I added the nonsense spoken-word intro to go along with Gibby's moronic lyrics: "Soon I discovered that this rock thing was true/Jerry Lee Lewis was the devil/Jesus was an architect, previous to his career as a prophet/All of a sudden I found myself in love with the world/So there was only one thing I could do was ding a ding dang my dang a long ling long." To this day journalists ask me what the intro and lyrics are about, and I honestly have no f**king clue. We were just winging it.

From the autobiography "Ministry: The Lost Gospels According to Al Jourgensen".

going to see them in Belfast July.

bennydorano

Flat out listening to The Cure atm, they were such a great band.

ziggy90

Questions that shouldn't be asked shouldn't be answered

bennydorano

Class... that and Friday I'm in Love transport me to an instant happy place

Tony Baloney

Quote from: bennydorano on March 21, 2018, 05:44:05 PM
Flat out listening to The Cure atm, they were such a great band.
Always a few essentials in my Spotify shuffle. In Between Days, "Friday" all stone cold classics. Opening to Close to Me Is pure class.