'GAA Athletes for a No Vote'

Started by Jinxy, April 21, 2018, 08:17:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

longballin

It is noticeable no big names have got involved from Dublin, Kerry, Mayo... very much a Nordie initiative  though looks like only a few got involved

whitey

Quote from: longballin on May 01, 2018, 12:10:23 PM
It is noticeable no big names have got involved from Dublin, Kerry, Mayo... very much a Nordie initiative  though looks like only a few got involved

Not surprising given that the GAA in a the North is inextricably connected to Catholicism and Nationalism

longballin

Quote from: whitey on May 01, 2018, 12:32:10 PM

Not surprising given that the GAA in a the North is inextricably connected to Catholicism and Nationalism

GAA is a nationalist organisation... can be a nationalist without being a Catholic.

southtyronegael

I think the players from Dublin, Kerry and mayo are to busy preparing for an assault on the all Ireland rather than getting side tracked by this stuff.

longballin

Quote from: southtyronegael on May 01, 2018, 12:45:58 PM
I think the players from Dublin, Kerry and mayo are to busy preparing for an assault on the all Ireland rather than getting side tracked by this stuff.

Totally

Jinxy

As far as I can see, we have current players from Tyrone, Armagh, Donegal and Antrim actively campaigning for a No vote.
Am I missing anyone?
If you were any use you'd be playing.

longballin

Quote from: Jinxy on May 01, 2018, 01:10:52 PM
As far as I can see, we have current players from Tyrone, Armagh, Donegal and Antrim actively campaigning for a No vote.
Am I missing anyone?

Don't think so... is also a few camogs and your man Joe

Jinxy

Actually, speaking of Joe, do you remain a member of the GPA after you've retired from intercounty football?
Did Jayo get his MBA scholarship while he was still playing?

whitey

Quote from: longballin on May 01, 2018, 12:38:54 PM

GAA is a nationalist organisation... can be a nationalist without being a Catholic.

And what percentage of Nationalists in the North are Protestants........0.00001?

Learn how to read while youre at it

longballin

Quote from: whitey on May 01, 2018, 01:25:21 PM

And what percentage of Nationalists in the North are Protestants........0.00001?

Ooh get you Mr Angry : )

sid waddell

I've been disappointed that no GAA players bar Eamon McGee have put their heads above the parapet to come out on the Yes side.

The #men4yes campaign, with Richard Sadlier, Gordon D'Arcy and Andy Lee involved, would have been, and still is, a good opportunity.

I sense a lot of men who may privately back a Yes are reluctant to say much as they may sort of feel this issue can be filed away neatly into that easily forgettable box called "women's issues", and a lot of men tend not to like publicly voicing their thoughts in favour of women's rights.

Rossfan

As someone said most leading GAA players are busily preparing for the Hurling and Football Championships.
Many also presumably feel that how they'll vote in a secret ballot is nobody's business but their own.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Owenmoresider

Quote from: Rossfan on May 01, 2018, 01:52:02 PM
As someone said most leading GAA players are busily preparing for the Hurling and Football Championships.
Many also presumably feel that how they'll vote in a secret ballot is nobody's business but their own.
Yeah, just because so many media personalities are lining up behind the approved side of the debate in order to maintain their credibility within the D4 set doesn't mean that any GAA players have an obligation to do so.

Jinxy

Quote from: sid waddell on May 01, 2018, 01:28:58 PM
I've been disappointed that no GAA players bar Eamon McGee have put their heads above the parapet to come out on the Yes side.

The #men4yes campaign, with Richard Sadlier, Gordon D'Arcy and Andy Lee involved, would have been, and still is, a good opportunity.

I sense a lot of men who may privately back a Yes are reluctant to say much as they may sort of feel this issue can be filed away neatly into that easily forgettable box called "women's issues", and a lot of men tend not to like publicly voicing their thoughts in favour of women's rights.

I'm struggling to think of any 'current' sports people that have come out and advocated for a 'Yes' vote.
All of those #men4yes lads are retired, as is McGee obviously.

whitey

Quote from: longballin on May 01, 2018, 01:27:59 PM
Quote from: whitey on May 01, 2018, 01:25:21 PM

Ooh get you Mr Angry : )

Your initial response just epitomizes the stupid, Johnny One Up, snarky, know it all attitude, that exists on this board.

(BTW .....I never said that Nationalism was the exclusive preserve of Catholics, I said it was inextricably connected .....big difference)