Previous topic - Next topic

?

?
10 (50%)
?
10 (50%)

Total Members Voted: 20

bannside

I have no problem sliding on trust me we have enough to do this side of the Bann. But stop deluding yourselves that youse are a Div 1 team in disguise.  At least we accept where we are atm, div 4 and working hard to escape from it. A few Derry posters here are realistic, but the vast majority are living on past glories. A reality check would do most of you no harm. You cant beat Leitrim at home. Start from there and fill your boots because that's where Derry is atm. Fact.

JoG2

Quote from: lenny on January 25, 2020, 08:27:47 PM
Quote from: restorepride on January 25, 2020, 08:15:16 PM
Quote from: lenny on January 25, 2020, 07:55:48 PM
Quote from: restorepride on January 25, 2020, 07:30:43 PM
Quote from: JGDoire on January 25, 2020, 06:11:14 PM
10 mins into second half and we luckily just got a goal to get us into the game. But team selection and tactics have to questioned.  Wind behind our backs and we have 14 men behind the ball at home to Leitrim.  We are in big trouble for the year ahead.  Sweet jaysus.
Not sure about your wind direction but, yes, we are in big trouble and a return to Division 4 not out of the question. Division 2 hopes probably gone already.

Lol, one game in and you're writing off the season
I did qualify it with "probably". Always wise to actually read posts. Anyhow, based on tonight's lucky escape, which counties do you think Derry will beat in Div 3 this year?

We are capable of beating any of the other teams. I'm not saying we will but I'll be disappointed if we don't improve significantly.

Hope so Lenny, though I'm not so sure atm. Leitrim at home was supposed to be a banker. Leitrim played with serious hunger. We lacked in pretty much every area this evening. That performance was a serious leveller.

screenexile

It's only one match etc but Leitrim got beat by 30 points 2 weeks ago!!

Hopefully it's just a blip but afaik the teams been training 6 odd times a week for months we should have been beating Leitrim at home in the league.

Bannside nobody is saying we're top tier but surely we should be allowed to question why we can't beat Leitrim at home with a team supposedly on the up with a new manager.

The next 8 weeks will tell a tale and hopefully we'll start getting a few results but there's no doubt it's a horrible start!!

Glenman93

To mould a county team from good players who have been successful at any other level is not an easy thing to do.

tbrick18

Quote from: screenexile on January 26, 2020, 12:50:06 AM
It's only one match etc but Leitrim got beat by 30 points 2 weeks ago!!

Hopefully it's just a blip but afaik the teams been training 6 odd times a week for months we should have been beating Leitrim at home in the league.

Bannside nobody is saying we're top tier but surely we should be allowed to question why we can't beat Leitrim at home with a team supposedly on the up with a new manager.

The next 8 weeks will tell a tale and hopefully we'll start getting a few results but there's no doubt it's a horrible start!!

+1
I would have thought too we'd have a little more representation from our county champions on the team.

TheOptimist

Quote from: JoG2 on January 26, 2020, 12:27:38 AM
Quote from: lenny on January 25, 2020, 08:27:47 PM
Quote from: restorepride on January 25, 2020, 08:15:16 PM
Quote from: lenny on January 25, 2020, 07:55:48 PM
Quote from: restorepride on January 25, 2020, 07:30:43 PM
Quote from: JGDoire on January 25, 2020, 06:11:14 PM
10 mins into second half and we luckily just got a goal to get us into the game. But team selection and tactics have to questioned.  Wind behind our backs and we have 14 men behind the ball at home to Leitrim.  We are in big trouble for the year ahead.  Sweet jaysus.
Not sure about your wind direction but, yes, we are in big trouble and a return to Division 4 not out of the question. Division 2 hopes probably gone already.

Lol, one game in and you're writing off the season
I did qualify it with "probably". Always wise to actually read posts. Anyhow, based on tonight's lucky escape, which counties do you think Derry will beat in Div 3 this year?

We are capable of beating any of the other teams. I'm not saying we will but I'll be disappointed if we don't improve significantly.

Hope so Lenny, though I'm not so sure atm. Leitrim at home was supposed to be a banker. Leitrim played with serious hunger. We lacked in pretty much every area this evening. That performance was a serious leveller.

Like I say above. We're great at making teams look good

restorepride

Quote from: bannside on January 26, 2020, 12:12:25 AM
I have no problem sliding on trust me we have enough to do this side of the Bann. But stop deluding yourselves that youse are a Div 1 team in disguise.  At least we accept where we are atm, div 4 and working hard to escape from it. A few Derry posters here are realistic, but the vast majority are living on past glories. A reality check would do most of you no harm. You cant beat Leitrim at home. Start from there and fill your boots because that's where Derry is atm. Fact.
The truth is always hard to beat.

oakleaflad

A lot of talk on here but very little actually analyzing the game. About half of that team wouldn't start on a first 15.

Keepers kickouts were very good bar the two he tried short, one of which cost us a point. 
Full back line struggled and gave away some handy frees. Liam McGoldrick did have a few good runs up the field though.
C McKaigue was very good on the ball and kicked a great score but doesn't offer much as a sweeper imo.
McFaul was very good, possibly our best player. Full of running and looked to make things happen.
Doherty needs to offer a bit more. Looked a bit nervous on the ball and happy to get rid of it.
McGrogan had a solid if not spectacular game.
Gavin O'Neill tried to make things happen, actually ran at them. Did have one badly misplaced pass but was unlucky with a shot that got caught in the strong breeze and just fell short.
Emmet Bradley had a good game, finished the goal well. Wayward with a couple shots but scored too and was a physical mismatch.
Tallon tried to make things happen too, ran at them and caused a bit of bother. Slipped a couple times when in decent positions and was unlucky not to get more from the game.
Duffy was a bit like Doherty, looked nervous on the ball. Did clip over a score. I think he probably needs a full year on the panel to get physically at the level needed.
Sammy had a wayward effort early on and lifted the head as if he wanted to kick when in possession but it never seemed to be on. Frustrating evening for him.
Bell looked like he could be a handful early on and kicked a couple nice scores. Faded as the game went on.
McCarron kicked a great score against the breeze towards the end. Turned and kicked a free backwards from 50 yards when we had 2 on 2 inside with a player pulled away on the diagonal, was frustrating and almost epitomized the game. Otherwise was very quiet. 

Shane McGuigan looked on a different level to all the other forwards when he came on.
Thought Toner struggled a bit when he came on.
The rest of the subs had minimal impact.

The mark wasn't a factor for us as we very rarely kicked the ball inside. If they are going to persist with those tactics then the likes of Duffy or Sammy Bradley won't fit into the team as we need to have a physical mismatch running at them with pace and power.

It was frustrating to watch and Leitrim were even more defensive than Derry tbh. The thing is, they were better at it. Cute fouls outside of the scoring zone and then got 14 back behind the ball and Derry struggled to break it down. They then broke at pace. Leitrim did look a lot hungrier than Derry in all honesty.

skeog

Oakleaflad took in this game last night couldnt believe how bad things are in your county.Sitting close to a Derry legend who isnt impressed with RG i would say 1 season be the outcome.

Derryboi

Quote from: oakleaflad on January 26, 2020, 10:33:44 AM
A lot of talk on here but very little actually analyzing the game. About half of that team wouldn't start on a first 15.

Keepers kickouts were very good bar the two he tried short, one of which cost us a point. 
Full back line struggled and gave away some handy frees. Liam McGoldrick did have a few good runs up the field though.
C McKaigue was very good on the ball and kicked a great score but doesn't offer much as a sweeper imo.
McFaul was very good, possibly our best player. Full of running and looked to make things happen.
Doherty needs to offer a bit more. Looked a bit nervous on the ball and happy to get rid of it.
Gavin O'Neill tried to make things happen, actually ran at them. Did have one badly misplaced pass but was unlucky with a shot that got caught in the strong breeze and just fell short.
Emmet Bradley had a good game, finished the goal well. Wayward with a couple shots but scored too and was a physical mismatch.
Tallon tried to make things happen too, ran at them and caused a bit of bother. Slipped a couple times when in decent positions and was unlucky not to get more from the game.
Duffy was a bit like Doherty, looked nervous on the ball. Did clip over a score. I think he probably needs a full year on the panel to get physically at the level needed.
Sammy had a wayward effort early on and lifted the head as if he wanted to kick when in possession but it never seemed to be on. Frustrating evening for him.
Bell looked like he could be a handful early on and kicked a couple nice scores. Faded as the game went on.
McCarron kicked a great score against the breeze towards the end. Turned and kicked a free backwards from 50 yards when we had 2 on 2 inside with a player pulled away on the diagonal, was frustrating and almost epitomized the game. Otherwise was very quiet. 

Shane McGuigan looked on a different level to all the other forwards when he came on.

The mark wasn't a factor for us as we very rarely kicked the ball inside. If they are going to persist with those tactics then the likes of Duffy or Sammy Bradley won't fit into the team as we need to have a physical mismatch running at them with pace and power.

It was frustrating to watch and Leitrim were even more defensive than Derry tbh. The thing is, they were better at it. Cute fouls outside of the scoring zone and then got 14 back behind the ball and Derry struggled to break it down. They then broke at pace. Leitrim did look a lot hungrier than Derry in all honesty.
That's an accurate an account as you can get.totally agree with ur analysis there. Derry were great at making the runs forward,but it's that final 3rd of the pitch where Derry struggled.all too often they tried to walk it in or force the pass,instead of shooting from the 21 or the 14,and got turned over far too often.poor decision making.Lietrims main scorer scored 9 points,7 frees,a 45 and one from play.so that's where the majority of their 1:14 tally came from.incidently,derry scored 2:6 or their 2:11 total from play.maybe with a bit more discipline,who knos!! having said all that,of the 3 games derry have played thus far,with respect to monaghan and donegal,this was imo,the tightest game derry have played yet.lietrim were as u said,that bit hungrier and cuter than derry were.fair play to them. Division 3 is going to be interesting,because if lietrim play like that,they'll give anyone a good test.

restorepride

Quote from: oakleaflad on January 26, 2020, 10:33:44 AM

Agree with much of this and too much analysis is not always possible on a discussion 'bored'!!  However, "about half of that team wouldn't start on a first 15." is where we start to fool ourselves.  That was the team that started, that was the first 15 last night - no excuses please, it makes us sound like moaners - as Bannside hinted at.

Not sure we had a fullback line first half.  Brendan Rodgers was left one-on-one on Shane Moran and was very lucky not to be at least yellow-carded.  Chrissy swept in front of Rodgers and there was very good communication between them and Odhrán Lynch - at times!  Unfortunately the keeper was at least partially to blame for 1-1 in first quarter.  In his first three 'real' possessions McFaul lost possession twice and in between kicked a point - not consistent enough.  And on we could go!!   Most of our forwards do not have enough pace, power, physique, conditioning, accuracy, talent or imagination to cause any threat to a blanket defence. 

And then we have the team spirit, or lack of.  Good read below:

https://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/2020/0126/1110983-keith-beirne-leitrim-derry/

"We're disappointed in the sense that we didn't come out with a victory. But we're going to take one point and we're delighted with that.
He credited the "brotherhood" within the camp as key to the performance against Derry.

More analysis available if the board is bored!!

BackInTheGame

Quote from: toby47 on January 25, 2020, 11:54:58 PM
Holly & Mooney are injured. Colm mcgoldrick isn't on the panel. Kearney on holiday.
McWilliams or Jack Doherty not country footballers IMO. Not going to make any difference to that team.
A lot of players in Derry are very overrated within Derry in my opinion, fellas mention names on here regularly that will really not make a difference to a county team.
Too many average players on the team, genuinely knew Derry were in bother when I seen the line up. I sound like mr negative here but it's the truth. Expected to see Niall Loughlin & Shane Mcguigan. When I seen neither  were on I knew we'd struggle for scores.
Jack Doherty not a county footballer?!

Is the county in question Dublin or Derry?

Red10

Words of great wisdom and insight - not. There's no one in Derry thinks we are a division 1 side.  As i say you'd be better off focusing on your own county than worrying about someone else's- fact.

bannside

Hey Lad let me tell you I'm not worrying about you at all. Theres enough if you to do that especially after yesterday. And at a guess I'd be confident I know more about Derry football than you anyway!

restorepride

Quote from: Red10 on January 26, 2020, 02:28:40 PM

Words of great wisdom and insight - not. There's no one in Derry thinks we are a division 1 side.  As i say you'd be better off focusing on your own county than worrying about someone else's- fact.
Looks like you've hit a raw nerve, Bannside - always a sign that you are getting near the truth!