Negativity around current Championship Structure and Alternatives

Started by SouthOfThe Bann, May 28, 2024, 11:07:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Truthsayer

Is obvious too many games... I think you can lose three games and remain in the championship. Is hardly 'championship' football. People be inclined to wait to quarter-finals.

statto

Quote from: Truthsayer on May 28, 2024, 05:33:56 PMIs obvious too many games... I think you can lose three games and remain in the championship. Is hardly 'championship' football. People be inclined to wait to quarter-finals.
I'd be the same id rather go to quarter finals in croke park than round one or two of the group support my own county.

Rossfan

Quote from: SouthOfThe Bann on May 28, 2024, 02:26:46 PM
Quote from: weareros on May 28, 2024, 01:52:21 PMPundits go on about only 4 being eliminated but a week later another 4 go, and the week after that another 4. It will spring into
life shortly. The jeopardy is on the horizon.

Yeah I actually quite like this current competition format but all the negativity is beginning to wane my enthusiasm for it.

Everybody was giving out about the 10k in Croke Park because it fitted their agenda.

But never mention the full houses in Ballybofey and Iniskeen.

Majority rules at the end of the day though and the majority don't seem to be in favor if this format.

Majority of who though?
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

RadioGAAGAA

Getting rid of the provincial championships is stupid.

How a proponent of the idea thinks anyone is going to travel 200 miles round trip for say, Antrim vs. Offaly is beyond me.
[and thats only half way down the Island]

The journos have done more to screw up the game with their endless yapping going on decades.

It was them that insisted any defender tugging a jersey gets booked. Which meant the only alternative to managers to avoid getting wiped out by either losing defenders to the line or by allowing free scoring was dropping extra men back.

You'll not see any of them in a rush to admit to that though.

None in the corridors of power will have the balls to even propose trying for a year or two reverting back to a straight knockout to see what affect it has. Instead it'll be another mad scheme - probably adding further games or logistical juggling.
i usse an speelchekor

Rossfan

Ye had ye're "straight knock out" in 2020 and 2021 and that cured most people of that disease.
Journalists made Refs give yellow cards for pulling jerseys.... ::)

Armagh18

Quote from: Rossfan on May 29, 2024, 08:29:59 PMYe had ye're "straight knock out" in 2020 and 2021 and that cured most people of that disease.
Journalists made Refs give yellow cards for pulling jerseys.... ::)
Straight knockout after provincials. Top 16 in Sam bottom 16 in TC. Couldn't be any worse than these fecking groups.

Rossfan

Ye had similar to that in 2022 and 90% of the GAA couldnt wait to dump it as it wasn't wanted.

Armagh18

Quote from: Rossfan on May 29, 2024, 08:54:13 PMYe had similar to that in 2022 and 90% of the GAA couldnt wait to dump it as it wasn't wanted.

Would be my personal preference. What would you suggest? Or keep the current system?

RadioGAAGAA

Quote from: Rossfan on May 29, 2024, 08:54:13 PMYe had similar to that in 2022 and 90% of the GAA couldnt wait to dump it as it wasn't wanted.

Sources for this please...?

Just ran the rather incomplete attendance figures from wiki. Big gaps but averaging to remove them indicates little difference between 2022 and 2023.

2022 qualifiers avg = 10310
2023 group avg = 10821

2022 AI knock-out avg* = 49567
2023 AI knock-out avg** = 49666

*excluded the qualifiers from this and compared them to the groups

**excluded the preliminary quarter-finals from this to make it more like-for-like. They have a separate average of 14513 and would drag the 2023 AI knockout down to 36883
i usse an speelchekor

thewobbler

There is a solution of sorts staring us in the face, basically copy the NFL.

- discard the provincials completely.
- Create 8 x regional sections of 4.
- Each season, all teams play 12 group stage games, 6 home and 6 away.
- 6 of those fixtures would see home and aways against the 3 teams in their section.
- The other 6 fixtures would be devised semi-randomly based on the previous season's final standings. 2 of the games would be against teams from the top third of the rankings. 2 against teams from the middle third. 2 against teams from the bottom third. Will there be anomalies? Of course. But so has every system.
- Each of the 8 teams that win their section goes through to a last 16 knockout game, with a home fixture.
- Their 8 opponents are the highest ranking teams that didn't win their section. Ie if you finish 4th in your section with 14 points, you outrank any second placed teams with 13 points. There could be 3 of these "wildcards" from one section, none from another.
- Quarter finals would see the 4 highest ranking winners at home, with the 4 lowest ranking winners visiting them.
- The rest is self explanatory.
- No need for a Tailteann Cup. Every county will have played 12 competitive matches and will know where they stand.

The key to this approach is that a "group of death" doesn't mean a quick death.

The other key to it is that as all teams are always being ranked, then there is always something to play for.

It also encourages local derbies initially, but ensures that the knockout stages are represented by the four corners of the country.

Americans are by and large idiots. But  nobody does equality in sport like them.

Rossfan

Quote from: RadioGAAGAA on May 29, 2024, 10:16:14 PM

Sources for this please...?

Congress 2022. It was 94.7% in fact.

Captain Scarlet

I think there is too much air time and pages given to giving out in Gaelic Football overall.

In all honesty even in whatever system you'd like best the games early in the year don't garner much interest. Armagh v Westmeath was rarely box office. Same as in Champions League. I find myself not minding the group stages, but you get classic ties afterwards.

The media are lazy too. The split season was cried about and the likes of Martin Breheny, who hasn't a clue, ended up doing listicles of the best players never to win an All Ireland and the likes while saying the split season is awful. God forbid they would have to research an article on a club man....

The main thing would be needing more jeopardy. I wouldn't use this system as a stick to beat the split season with mind you. That should stay, but there does need more breathing space for County Football and it's being squeezed too much here.

them mysterons are always killing me but im grand after a few days.sickenin aul dose all the same.

Look-Up!

I like provincials plus if you do away with them what do you do with provincial councils?

A structure change I'd like to see would be increase the number of teams in AI series to 18, same selection process as now, just extending the bottom of league standings to 2 demoted teams from Div2. Rest of teams play in TC, same as now.

6 groups of 3. Top 6 in group proceed to AI QFs. 2 best 2nd placed teams to AI QFs. If it can't be determined conclusively by group standings, then league position determines these 2 teams.

The other 10 teams play in new Intermediate AI championship, straight knockout, obviously with 2 preliminary QFs.

I think it gives weaker counties a better chance at winning the TC by removing a couple higher ranked teams, it reduces number of group games plus it gives teams outside the top 6 a crack at alternative decent silverware. And of course, it gives an added incentive to finish as high as possible in league.

Rossfan

Won't be doing away with Provincials while hurling exists.
Munster SHC will be grossing €6m in gate receipts this year.

Terrace tickets for Munster Hurling Final sold out in 15 minutes this morning.

seafoid

Quote from: Rossfan on May 30, 2024, 12:54:19 PMWon't be doing away with Provincials while hurling exists.
Munster SHC will be grossing €6m in gate receipts this year.

Terrace tickets for Munster Hurling Final sold out in 15 minutes this morning.
T
There is no reason why hurling and football have to be the same.

Separate provincials plus a league as suggested above would work for football.
Fógra : Only 2 of the football provincials work