20 years of the PSNI

Started by Truth hurts, November 02, 2021, 09:15:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Truth hurts

Whats people's views on the PSNI now? Brolly gave them a good report in this week's Sunday independent?
I still do not know a cop personally and none live within my community. Do you ever think there will be a time in our lifetime that they will be living among our GAA communities?

Armagh18

Quote from: Truth hurts on November 02, 2021, 09:15:07 AM
Whats people's views on the PSNI now? Brolly gave them a good report in this week's Sunday independent?
I still do not know a cop personally and none live within my community. Do you ever think there will be a time in our lifetime that they will be living among our GAA communities?
Jesus Christ I hope not.

Truth hurts

Quote from: Armagh18 on November 02, 2021, 09:15:36 AM
Jesus Christ I hope not.

Why?

Tubberman

Jesus Christ I hope not.

Who would you call if your house was being robbed?
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

JoG2

Quote from: Truth hurts on November 02, 2021, 09:20:12 AM
Jesus Christ I hope not.

Why?

He's as draconian and narrow minded as the DUP

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

I know 1, although he moved away as soon as he joined. Needs to change but doesn't seem to be quickly at all. Still getting homes etc attacked

brokencrossbar1

I know 1 who has lived in the same house for the last 20 years in a pretty much 100% nationalist area, from Dublin originally and would have had republican great-grandparents from way back when. I wouldn't think of this person any differently to someone who I would have sat drinking whiskey until 4am on New Year's Eve on at least 2 occasions. Would have been a good friend but we moved on with our lives.

It needs to change as an organisation and will but not yet. Too many vested interests to keep it as it is. Cross border policing will increase over the next decade and that will see a sea-change in the mindset and outlook. Change is a coming folks

Milltown Row2

What is the alternative if we don't embrace the police service? If you don't break the law then why would you worry about the police? If you have nothing to hide why worry?

There is still legacy issues, it won't go away in 20 years that's for sure. Your kids will look at the police service as a career, something we didn't even think about.

So if you not involved with criminal activity then you are fine
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

johnnycool

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on November 02, 2021, 10:41:20 AM
I know 1 who has lived in the same house for the last 20 years in a pretty much 100% nationalist area, from Dublin originally and would have had republican great-grandparents from way back when. I wouldn't think of this person any differently to someone who I would have sat drinking whiskey until 4am on New Year's Eve on at least 2 occasions. Would have been a good friend but we moved on with our lives.

It needs to change as an organisation and will but not yet. Too many vested interests to keep it as it is. Cross border policing will increase over the next decade and that will see a sea-change in the mindset and outlook. Change is a coming folks

That's the nub of it, but from a nationalist POV do we encourage those within our community that way inclined to join in a hope to change the organisation from within or is the leadership of the organisation so ingrained in the RUC mindset that it's better to isolate the organisation until the changes needed are forced upon them from the political sphere ..

BennyCake

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on November 02, 2021, 10:43:33 AM
What is the alternative if we don't embrace the police service? If you don't break the law then why would you worry about the police? If you have nothing to hide why worry?

There is still legacy issues, it won't go away in 20 years that's for sure. Your kids will look at the police service as a career, something we didn't even think about.

So if you not involved with criminal activity then you are fine

It'll be gone in 20 days, when they vote for  it in Westminster .

BennyCake

Quote from: johnnycool on November 02, 2021, 11:18:59 AM

That's the nub of it, but from a nationalist POV do we encourage those within our community that way inclined to join in a hope to change the organisation from within or is the leadership of the organisation so ingrained in the RUC mindset that it's better to isolate the organisation until the changes needed are forced upon them from the political sphere ..

No matter what you call them, or dress them up in, the PSNI are still a British police force, pushing the British agenda in a British-ruled statelet. It doesn't matter how many Catholics join up, that's what they are, and that's what they will remain.

Armagh18

Quote from: BennyCake on November 02, 2021, 11:23:49 AM
Quote from: johnnycool on November 02, 2021, 11:18:59 AM

No matter what you call them, or dress them up in, the PSNI are still a British police force, pushing the British agenda in a British-ruled statelet. It doesn't matter how many Catholics join up, that's what they are, and that's what they will remain.
Yup.

thebigfella

Christ above  ;D

Truth hurts

any psni among your gaa clubs?

Silver hill

All depends on what your starting point is?
The current reincarnation is most definitely a vast improvement on where we were sat in the 70s and 80s in the bad old days.
But then my da would tell be yarns about the b specials when he was growing up and the tans /RIC of his father's era.
Let's just say it's definitely better but if my own son came to me and said he wanted to join the PSNI there would definitely be an eyebrow raised.