GetOverTheBar

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on March 28, 2018, 12:27:09 PM
Quote from: GetOverTheBar on March 28, 2018, 12:24:30 PM
Quote from: yellowcard on March 28, 2018, 12:22:27 PM
Quote from: GetOverTheBar on March 28, 2018, 12:14:23 PM
Quote from: David McKeown on March 28, 2018, 11:58:20 AM
Quote from: RedHand88 on March 28, 2018, 11:05:37 AM
Jury back to deliberations...

I'd imagine they'd get the rest of the day or most of it before they get the majority direction if needed.

You wouldn't want to have to be released after 6/7 weeks to have to go back into your real job for 1 day. Need to get the Thursday out of it, then a nice wee break until back after easter.

They know.

Are jury members told to keep it confidential that they have are on a particular case? You would imagine that fellow workers would have a fair idea if someone just took 2 months off work.

Impossible to keep it quiet, they'll be told not to publicise it / talk about it obviously but a judge cannot stop co workers spreading etc. Belfast is a small place, the jurors are known.

Who could afford to be out of work for 2 months? Madness amount of time, if you were self employed you'd be out of business

You get your wages covered on it - although those self employed are not so lucky, it's a bit tricky. Fella was called to do duty with me and flat blank refused to do it as he would be out of pocket - as a result he'd find the defendant guilty because he would be in bad mood - got off it. Unbelievable.

brokencrossbar1

The question now raises its head about whether she'll pursue a civil action. The fact that she wasn't believed here in such a conclusive way will make it much harder, even with the lower burden of proof.

AQMP

Quote from: David McKeown on March 28, 2018, 12:34:15 PM
Quote from: AZOffaly on March 28, 2018, 12:32:57 PM
Quote from: Fr. Cyril McDuff on March 28, 2018, 12:29:47 PM
Verdicts in. Not guilty!
All defendants acquitted.

Not really surprising. Hard to get beyond reasonable doubt. Unanimous too.

The acquittal of McIlroy shows the IP was simply not believed.

As I said before the defendants evidence was poor so it came down to "do we believe the girl?" The answer is clearly "No".

David McKeown

Quote from: GetOverTheBar on March 28, 2018, 12:34:58 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on March 28, 2018, 12:27:09 PM
Quote from: GetOverTheBar on March 28, 2018, 12:24:30 PM
Quote from: yellowcard on March 28, 2018, 12:22:27 PM
Quote from: GetOverTheBar on March 28, 2018, 12:14:23 PM
Quote from: David McKeown on March 28, 2018, 11:58:20 AM
Quote from: RedHand88 on March 28, 2018, 11:05:37 AM
Jury back to deliberations...

I'd imagine they'd get the rest of the day or most of it before they get the majority direction if needed.

You wouldn't want to have to be released after 6/7 weeks to have to go back into your real job for 1 day. Need to get the Thursday out of it, then a nice wee break until back after easter.

They know.

Are jury members told to keep it confidential that they have are on a particular case? You would imagine that fellow workers would have a fair idea if someone just took 2 months off work.

Impossible to keep it quiet, they'll be told not to publicise it / talk about it obviously but a judge cannot stop co workers spreading etc. Belfast is a small place, the jurors are known.

Who could afford to be out of work for 2 months? Madness amount of time, if you were self employed you'd be out of business

You get your wages covered on it - although those self employed are not so lucky, it's a bit tricky. Fella was called to do duty with me and flat blank refused to do it as he would be out of pocket - as a result he'd find the defendant guilty because he would be in bad mood - got off it. Unbelievable.

A relative (who will remain nameless to protect their stupidity) was once held in contempt when they asked could they simply pay the fine for non attendance as it would cost them less than missing 6 weeks of work.
2022 Allianz League Prediction Competition Winner

AZOffaly

This verdict and the way the trial was covered will certainly make any other girl think twice before she reports a rape. That's a very sad situation.

If the girl lied, and this was just something she made up to cover her embarrassment, then she has done a very grave disservice to other women. If that's the case, then I'm delighted the lads got off.

If she was telling the truth, and it just couldn't be proven, then I feel terribly sorry for her.

GetOverTheBar

Ollies will be pumping this weekend.

gallsman

As expected. Only one person on here appeared to think beyond reasonable doubt had been achieved.

Surprised on Harrison though. The deleted messages, warning McIlroy not to bring his phone, the phone being reset etc all absolutely stink.

yellowcard

A conclusive, very swift and unanimous verdict, this whole sorry case has turned out to be a waste of time. No winners here though the girl is the big loser in all of this.

AQMP

Quote from: AZOffaly on March 28, 2018, 12:39:06 PM
This verdict and the way the trial was covered will certainly make any other girl think twice before she reports a rape. That's a very sad situation.

If the girl lied, and this was just something she made up to cover her embarrassment, then she has done a very grave disservice to other women. If that's the case, then I'm delighted the lads got off.

If she was telling the truth, and it just couldn't be proven, then I feel terribly sorry for her.

We'll probably never know.  But as one of the defence barristers said (paraphrase) "If you're fairly sure they did it, that's not enough to convict"

Taylor

Quote from: AZOffaly on March 28, 2018, 12:39:06 PM

+1

longballin

Is such a high bar 'beyond reasonable doubt' and only people know the truth were in that room. Wouldn't want my daughter at a party with that crew all the same..

AQMP

I'll be honest. I'm glad it's over!

GetOverTheBar

Big pressure now on Ulster Rugby. Acquitted after about 4 hours. They are in a tough spot, if indeed, the word is true they are gone no matter what.

tommysmith

Quote from: longballin on March 28, 2018, 12:46:22 PM
Is such a high bar 'beyond reasonable doubt' and only people know the truth were in that room. Wouldn't want my daughter at a party with that crew all the same..

I doubt they fully know themselves.

Under Lights

Quote from: gallsman on March 28, 2018, 12:41:38 PM
As expected. Only one person on here appeared to think beyond reasonable doubt had been achieved.

Surprised on Harrison though. The deleted messages, warning McIlroy not to bring his phone, the phone being reset etc all absolutely stink.

No crime, no prevent of justice?