Clerical abuse!

Started by D4S, May 20, 2009, 05:09:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

We all know this disgusting scandal is as a result of The Church and The State, but who do you hold mostly accountable, and should therefore pay out the most in compensation to victims?

The State
The Church
Split 50/50

longballin

Quote from: seafoid on March 04, 2018, 09:22:30 PM
Quote from: longballin on March 04, 2018, 09:15:26 PM
John would have been better to say nothing. He got torn apart on Twitter.
I don't think he understood how visceral the feeling about the church and child rape is.

Don't want to add to it but was more than naive of him.

Minder

Quote from: longballin on March 04, 2018, 09:26:20 PM
I don't think he understood how visceral the feeling about the church and child rape is.

Ego more than naive I would say, not sure why he thought his input was needed
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

longballin

Quote from: Minder on March 04, 2018, 09:37:12 PM

I suppose he thought he'd get a positive response defending his uncle but was way out of line...

Orior

Quote from: longballin on March 04, 2018, 09:46:24 PM

I suppose he thought he'd get a positive response defending his uncle but was way out of line...

Any word from Mickey Harte yet?
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

theskull1

Godwins rule can now be used
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

Orior

Applesisapples

Quote from: David McKeown on March 03, 2018, 02:30:49 PM
I don't know the full background of the abuse and Bishop McAreavey's role but on a personal level I am glad the bishop has now resigned. My personal experience with the man is that he was a sectarian bigot who should not have had the role he had. Now I haven't spoken to him in 15 years and things may have changed in the interim but I don't think he even deserved the time of the day.
Tell us how he is a sectarian bigot?

Applesisapples

Quote from: Dougal Maguire on March 04, 2018, 06:08:11 PM
Fr Boyle was 'The wee Billy' Fr Cushnehan was 'The wee skut'. Cunningham was just a complete sadistic cnut
All the Stevensons at St Colmans were called stiffy, from the Irish Stíofán, The Billy and Fr Cushnehan, I never saw being violent, but Jon Joe Cunningham) was fond of the cane.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Applesisapples on March 05, 2018, 11:27:51 AM
Quote from: David McKeown on March 03, 2018, 02:30:49 PM
I don't know the full background of the abuse and Bishop McAreavey's role but on a personal level I am glad the bishop has now resigned. My personal experience with the man is that he was a sectarian bigot who should not have had the role he had. Now I haven't spoken to him in 15 years and things may have changed in the interim but I don't think he even deserved the time of the day.
Tell us how he is a sectarian bigot?

I think he did already
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Orior

John's tweet had 98 comments, a large percentage of which are negative. The tweet also has 382 Likes.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Orior on March 05, 2018, 12:25:42 PM

John's tweet had 98 comments, a large percentage of which are negative. The tweet also has 382 Likes.

All from Tony
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

dec

https://twitter.com/NewryDemo/status/970720199858098182

"We are breaking a big story in the Malachy Finnegan scandal in this week's Newry Democrat - on sale tomorrow morning."

Something actually big, or just media hyperbole?

smelmoth

Quote from: dec on March 05, 2018, 06:08:39 PM
https://twitter.com/NewryDemo/status/970720199858098182

"We are breaking a big story in the Malachy Finnegan scandal in this week's Newry Democrat - on sale tomorrow morning."

Something actually big, or just media hyperbole?

If it is genuinely something big then well done to the ND. We need journalists to play their role on lifting the lid. Kudos, journalistic awards, increased circulation and revenue will follow.

But using this subject matter to trail the title is less than classy.

Owen Brannigan

Section 5 of the Criminal Law Act (Northern Ireland) 1967 makes it an offence not to report to the police any person involved in an arrestable offence.

The question has to be asked why this law has not been applied to all previous sex abuse cases within the Catholic Church and, if, as reported, Finnegan's behaviour in St Colman's was known about by all pupils and staff, will this law not apply to staff who turned a blind eye?  Would the clerical staff in the school during the period when Finnegan worked there as teacher and headmaster be particularly open to this law?

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Owen Brannigan on March 05, 2018, 10:52:53 PM
Section 5 of the Criminal Law Act (Northern Ireland) 1967 makes it an offence not to report to the police any person involved in an arrestable offence.

The question has to be asked why this law has not been applied to all previous sex abuse cases within the Catholic Church and, if all reported regarding Finnegan's behaviour in St Colman's was known about by all pupils and staff are true, will this law not apply to staff who turned a blind eye?  Would the clerical staff in the school during the period when Finnegan worked their as teacher and headmaster be particularly open to this law?

Well I'm glad the peelers didn't ask me any questions about activities of the locals during the troubles! There would have been a serious amount of people in jail!