Martin Mc Guinness Passes Away at 66

Started by vallankumous, January 09, 2017, 10:51:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

orangeman

Despite being very unpalatable even to a lot of republicans Mc Guinness took serious chances by reaching out to the other side. Meeting the queen, standing at Stormomt and calling irish men traitors etc were massive but he was prepared to stick his neck out for what he believed in.
The Paisley MC Guinness double act was quite remarkable in itself. He wasn't afraid and could argue his point with most.

He was in his early days described as " officer material " by the Brits and clearly was a great leader despite a chequered past.

Itchy

Syferus

Quote from: RealSpiritof98 on January 19, 2017, 08:09:50 PM
Pop shots from your chair, Martin McGuinness will go down in history as a game changer and a man of peace. If only you had 5 minutes in his presence. Thank you Martin on behalf of my children on turning this place around. I myself have become disillusioned with Sinn fein 2.0 but McGuinness always had peace for this land on his agenda.

People have short memories if they think this latest scandal is on a par with the past. The simple truth is the protestant state for a  Protestant people is no more. Thank God.

McGuiness will go down as Paisley did. A firebrand with blood on his hands who saw some modicum of sense as the light was already waning on his political life. Paisley at least left a stable government behind - McGuiness basically stuck a needle in the bouncing castle and ran off.

It really is amusing to see how SF figures are regarded in nationalist circles in the north versus how the rest of Ireland (catholic/secular Ireland) view of them, mainly because they're not burdened by the person being on 'their side'.

John Hume is a great man; under no objective viewing was Martin McGuinness.

Il Bomber Destro

Quote from: Syferus on January 20, 2017, 12:16:50 AM
Pop shots from your chair, Martin McGuinness will go down in history as a game changer and a man of peace. If only you had 5 minutes in his presence. Thank you Martin on behalf of my children on turning this place around. I myself have become disillusioned with Sinn fein 2.0 but McGuinness always had peace for this land on his agenda.

People have short memories if they think this latest scandal is on a par with the past. The simple truth is the protestant state for a  Protestant people is no more. Thank God.

McGuiness will go down as Paisley did. A firebrand with blood on his hands who saw some modicum of sense as the light was already waning on his political life. Paisley at least left a stable government behind - McGuiness basically stuck a needle in the bouncing castle and ran off.

It really is amusing to see how SF figures are regarded in nationalist circles in the north versus how the rest of Ireland (catholic/secular Ireland) have a very different view of them because they're not burdened by the person being on 'their side'.

John Hume is a great man; in no objective viewing is Martin McGuinness.

For balance sake, John Hume backed internment back in the 70s.

A spell under British rule in 1970 Occupied Ulster would have done you the world of good.

Dougal Maguire

Careful now

dec

Quote from: Il Bomber Destro on January 20, 2017, 12:18:22 AM
For balance sake, John Hume backed internment back in the 70s.

Do you have any evidence of that?

heganboy

Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity

Tubberman

"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

HiMucker

It really is amusing to see how SF figures are regarded in nationalist circles in the north versus how the rest of Ireland (catholic/secular Ireland) view of them, mainly because they're not burdened by the person being on 'their side'.

Tells us Syferus for a laugh, other than Hume what other persons do Nationalists in the North have to thank for helping them with their plight?  You know people who helped them achieve small things, like equal opportunity for employment, voting rights, equal rights for housing.

Applesisapples

Quote from: Syferus on January 19, 2017, 06:43:51 PM
What was the nonsense about him not quitting because of the illness? I suppose it's consistent with SF that you lie going out the door too.

McGuiness, like Paisley, saw some sense at the end. Doesn't wash away the blood on his hands either, but at least he was more honest about his involvement than Adams.

Sad that his last act was to leave the north in its biggest shambles in a decade or more.
He said that his illness was not the motivating factor in his resignation, that was the RHI scandal, keep up please.

Walter Cronc

You are some clown Syf...back to your Roscommon bog!

Applesisapples

Cop on. McGuinness and Adams from the 70's were involved in trying to reach agreement with the Brits. Dennis Bradley on the BBC last night said and it wasn't picked up that Martin McGuinness intervened to save many many lives, very much unseen.

Keyser soze

Here Syferus can you not stick to other subjects that you know nothing about rather than polluting a serious thread with your sh*te. 

The Stallion

Yet again any dissenting viewpoint on here is met with hostility.

Take Your Points

Quote from: heganboy on January 20, 2017, 05:09:24 AM
its a bone of contention

http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/breakingnews/breakingnews_ukandireland/top-diplomat-thought-hume-wanted-return-of-internment-28508582.html

Read the article. So, he didn't actually call for it, just an official surmising his thoughts to back up the actions of the government.  Typical of those who want to pull down others to raise themselves up.