Leitrim v Galway

Started by 45GoneShort, June 13, 2007, 04:55:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AhFeckRef

Just wondering, willl Emlin Mulligan, Philli McGuinness or Fintan McBrien be on the bench on Sunday or did some of those lads leave the panel earlier this year?
What sort of subs will we have in reserve.  I think a critical factor in this game may be what Leitrim can spring from the bench as I believe that there could be a major work rate required from some of the Leitrim forwards/backs during this game.

Hopefully there'll be no keeper substitutions this time!!

pairc sean

Fintan will be on the bench alright, but as far as I know Mulligan and Philly Mc have both pulled out. Latest addition to the panel is apparently Tomas Beirne from Eslin (he was midfield on the minors) Excellent prospect, but I don't see the point of bringing him in now. I would think Fintan, Jimmy Guckian and Ciaran Kennedy will be the most likely subs to make an appearance

AhFeckRef

Yep heard that rumour alright.  Great footballer. Excellent prospect for the future but think would lack experience if happened to be thrown in at the deep end on Sunday.
Himself and Shane Canning would make an interesting combination in the center.

It's disapointing when forwards of the form of Mulligan. McGuiinness etc can't establish themselves on the team and feel they are wasting their time on the panel. We realy can't afford that in Leitrim.

GalwayBayBoy

Galway team v Leitrim

Paul Doherty (Tuam Stars)
Kieran Fitzgerald (Corofin)
Finian Hanley (Salthill Knocknacarra)
Damien Burke (Corofin)
Michael Comer (Corofin)
Diarmuid Blake (Milltown)
Declan Meehan (Caltra)
Niall Coleman (Annaghdown)
Joe Bergin (Mountbellew/Moylough)
Nicky Joyce (Killererin)
Ja Fallon (Tuam Stars)
Derek Savage (Cortoon Shamrocks)
Michael Meehan (Caltra)
Padraig Joyce (Killererin)
Cormac Bane (Caherlistrane)

Subs

16 C King, 17 A Burke, 18 M Clancy, 19 B Cullinane

20 P Geraghty, 21 N Coyne. 22 G Sice, 23 D Mullahy

24 A Glynn, 25 B Dooney, 26 J Clifford, 27 F Burke

28 F Breathneach, 29 G Bradshaw, 30 S Armstrong.

Duine Eile

Beat me to it GBB! I see we're persisting with Ja at centre forward.  :-\The team is starting to have a settled look about it though which is a good thing I suppose.

GalwayBayBoy

I said for once I'd have the team up ahead of ya DE. ;D

Hope Ja goes well as I think we all feel he's past lasting the full pace of a championship game and would maybe be better served being used as an impact sub. I think we'll see the forwards moving about a bit though. Mike Meehan gave a great display in the challenge game against Kerry so hopefully he can get his form going again.

DJGaliv

Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on June 21, 2007, 10:09:16 PM
Subs; 16 C King, 17 A Burke, 18 M Clancy, 19 B Cullinane, 20 P Geraghty, 21 N Coyne, 22 G Sice, 23 D Mullahy, 24 A Glynn, 25 B Dooney, 26 J Clifford, 27 F Burke, 28 F Breathneach, 29 G Bradshaw, 30 S Armstrong.

That's a weakness that Galway have, not much strength in depth. If you take away Mattie Clancy, Seán Armstrong and maybe Niall Coyne then there's not much intercounty standard footballers to choose from.

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: DJGaliv on June 22, 2007, 04:11:33 PM
Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on June 21, 2007, 10:09:16 PM
Subs; 16 C King, 17 A Burke, 18 M Clancy, 19 B Cullinane, 20 P Geraghty, 21 N Coyne, 22 G Sice, 23 D Mullahy, 24 A Glynn, 25 B Dooney, 26 J Clifford, 27 F Burke, 28 F Breathneach, 29 G Bradshaw, 30 S Armstrong.

That's a weakness that Galway have, not much strength in depth. If you take away Mattie Clancy, Seán Armstrong and maybe Niall Coyne then there's not much intercounty standard footballers to choose from.

True although I think you could say that about virtually any county bar a couple.

SuperMac

Is it true that nearly all the tickets are sold ?

Redgreenery

Half Time:
Galway 0-09 Leitrim 1-05
Great first half, Leitrim are putting it up to Galwayand playing really well. Im glad for them and if they keep it up in the second half, who knows?

thejuice

Carney is an awful commentator, hasnt a clue what he's on about. Galway doing enough to win this even not at their best. too many dangrous forwards.
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

stephenite

Two points in it - Leitrim just missed a goal chance and another two kickable points, expect Galway to pull away but the way Leitrim are playing it might not be so - c'mon Leitrim!!!!

Redgreenery

Full Time:
Galway 0-17 Leitrim 1-10

Leitrim didnt deserve to lose by as much as they did and perhaps should have gotten another 2 goals. Good game by Leitrim, and hard luck to them. Galway didnt play well at all compared to the game v Mayo.

Will Sligo do anything in the Connaught final??!  ::) :D ;)

GalwayBayBoy

Well I guess that went much as expected. A narrow Galway win after a tough battle. Pretty much par for the course when you visit Carrick.

As I thought the Galway team seemed to struggle to replicate the hunger and motivation they had against Mayo. Having not played in 5 weeks they seemed a small bit rusty as well so a hard game should do them no harm.

The bad points are I guess that Maxwell caused havoc amongst our f**k-back line which has been very solid over the past while. He either caught every high ball pumped into him or at least broke it to someone else and generally made a nuisance of himself. Damien Burke was put on him but while Burke may be a great marker and defender he was giving away at least 3 or 4 inches in height to Maxwell. Not sure was Finian Hanley taken off due to injury or whether it was tactical?

Midfield after two great performances against Mayo was back to indifferent league form again. Bergin and Coleman didn't win a whole pile of primary possession and weren't as conspicious as they were against Mayo. Leitrim seemed to win more breaking ball (a sure sign of the hungrier team on the day). Barry Cullinane in fairness to him won three kickouts in a row after he came on near the end.

A real mixed bag up front. Cormac Bane and Mike Meehan were pretty anonymous. Meehan needs a good performance to get his confidence up as he hasn't given a really good championship performance since Sligo last year. Padraig Joyce was well marshalled early on by McKeon but grew in influence the longer the game went on and set up a lot of scores in the second half. Savo was pretty quiet but in fairness to him he came in for some rough treatment in the first half and it seemed to knock the wind from his sails. Ja did alright while he was on but he should have been taken off at least 15 minutes earlier as he was clearly knackered towards the end and even kicked a few wides out of sheer exhaustion. Expecting him to last a game at full championship pace isn't really on.

As for good points I though Paul Doherty went well in goal. The half-back line did pretty well. Nicky Joyce had a fantastic game. None of the Leitrim backs could get near him. Fair play to Nicky. He's really coming on this year. Definitly Galway's MOTM. Sean Armstrong looked pretty lively after he was introduced. Was direct and forceful. Kicked a few nice scores and should have had a couple more.

The ref I thought was pretty poor. Things didn't look good after he awarded Leitrim a free-kick for the first score of the game when it clearly should have been a free-out after a Galway defender was pushed in the back while attempting to pick the ball. I'm still scratching my head how Derek Savage didn't get a free when he was shouldered into the chest when two of them went in to challenge for the ball. However he was pretty poor for both teams. Far to whistle happy and pernickity for my tastes yet he still let some obvious fouls go.

Not a great performance but you won't get one every game. Probably better to have a good tough battle than a turkey shoot. I expect they'll work on things between now and Sligo and I expect we'll see better in the Connacht final as it'll have to be. Good luck to Leitrim against Donegal. A game they can win if they keep up their performance levels. I just hope they don't ease off now that they're in the qualifiers.

Duine Eile

According to Galway Bay FM the Connacht Final is fixed for Hyde Park on Sunday week. Rushing now so haven't time to comment but what did ye think of Padraic Joyce's goal that was disallowed? Didn't see anything wrong with it myself but then again I wouldn't would I! Oh and well done to the minors too.