All Ireland Medals in Tralee..

Started by 5 Sams, March 01, 2007, 07:56:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

5 Sams

..can Kerry Mike or any other of the Kingdom lads confirm or deny this?

I was in Tralee at the tail end of last year and got chatting to an oul fella in a pub on Rock St who told me that down through the years 83 different members of Austin Stacks Club had won an All Ireland Senior Football medal.

Is it true?
Maybe I picked him up wrong and it's 83 medals in Tralee or 83 medals in total in the club?

Just wondering like? If it's true it's some f**king acheivement
The Aristocrat Years

ziggysego

83? Sounds way too much. No club could be in existance that long without winning in every year bar one or two.
Testing Accessibility

5 Sams

Sorry Ziggy...I didnt make it clear...apparently 83 different members have won AI Senior medals with Kerry. When you think about it...it is possible....some feat for one club if it's true!
The Aristocrat Years

ziggysego

Quote from: 5 Sams on March 01, 2007, 08:17:13 PM
Sorry Ziggy...I didnt make it clear...apparently 83 different members have won AI Senior medals with Kerry. When you think about it...it is possible....some feat for one club if it's true!

Aaaah, well it is Kerry. Could be possible.
Testing Accessibility

AZOffaly

Ziggy 83 Senior All Ireland medalists or medals. I don't know how you read that at all :D

Anyway, if Kerry have 34 All Irelands, and there is on average 24 people on the panel over the years then

34 * 24 = 816. So that's 816 All ireland Medals floating around Kerry. (roughly)

It's not beyonf the bounds of possibility that a club like Stacks would have 10 percent of them, even though it does seem very high.

I wonder did Stacks ever represent Kerry when it was only one club. If so, then a win there would be a big haul for them straight away. I'd still say it;s more likely that there are 83 Medals in Stacks, rather than 83 Medallists. Allowing for the various 'in a row' teams, Stacks would have had to have a huge proportion of the players to get that many medallists.

5 Sams

QuoteI wonder did Stacks ever represent Kerry when it was only one club. If so, then a win there would be a big haul for them straight away.

Good call AZ never thought of that ....that would really bump it up...especially if they were counting subs!!
The Aristocrat Years

AZOffaly

Not such a good call I'd say. Sure I suppose the team wasn;t called Austin Stacks when Austin himself was still alive :) In fact I think he has two himself going by the records, in 1903 and 1904.

I'd definitely say its 83 medals rather than medallists. And even then it's some going.

Fionntamhnach

A little word inside my head says that Austin Stacks of Tralee hold the record as the club with the most players who've won All-Ireland Senior (Intercounty) Football Championship medals so it's probably correct.

Kerry Mike

When we won our first 3 All Irelands in 1903,1904 and 1909 it was Tralee Mitchels who represented Kerry, how many of those players were actually from Rock Street the home turf of Austin Stacks I dont know, but Austin Stack himself played in the first 2 years captaining Kerry in 1904. It was 17-a-side back then too.

1903 - KERRY (TRALEE MITCHELS): Thady O'Gorman (Captain), Paddy Dillon, Jamesey O'Gorman, Maurice McCarthy, Austin Stack, John Buckley, Con Healy, C. Ryan, Charlie Duggan, Dick Fitzgerald, T O'Sullivan, Denny Kissane, Willie Lynch, P. McCarthy, Roddy Kirwan, Denny Breen, T.Sugrue.

1904 - KERRY (TRALEE MITCHELS): Thady O'Gorman, Jamesey O'Gorman, Billy Lynch, John Thomas Fitzgerald, P. Cahill, John Buckley, J. Myers, Dan McCarthy, Denny Curran, Austin Stack (Captain), Maurice McCarthy, Denny Breen, Denny Kissane, F O'Sullivan, Con Healy, Paddy Dillon goal, Roddy Kirwan

1909 - KERRY (MITCHELS): Paddy Dillon, Denny Breen, Maurice McCarthy, Tom Costelloe (Captain), Con Healy, J. McCarthy, J. Lawlor, F.Cronin, E. Spillane, C. Murphy, B.O'Connor, P. Kennelly, Paddy Mullane, Dick Fitzgerald, Johnny Skinner, M.J. Quinlan, J. O'Sullivan.

During the the time of the civil war I think the Tralee Mitchels split into John Mitchels and Austin Stacks, not sure when this happened but a Trale divisional team won a few counties before Stacks beat Mitchels in the 1928 county final. Mitchels turned the tables on their bitter rivals in the 1929 final.

1925 Tralee Division
1926 Tralee Division beat Listowel Selection
1927 Tralee Division beat North Kerry
1928 Austin Stacks beat John Mitchels
1929 John Mitchels beat Austin Stacks

If you can get a copy of JJ Barrett book, in the Name of the Game it will explain the rifts in Kerry and Tralee football at the time.

To answer the original question, I am not sure of the exact figure but I would say the 83 medals is on the low side, and the answer I think is 83 medalists. Rock Street has always prided itself on having the most All Ireland Medalists on one street, If some olld fellow says its 83 I am not to argue.

In 1977 Stacks won the AI club title so maybe these medals are also included in the overall count. That team included John O'Keeffe, Ger Power, Mike Sheehy, Ger O'Keeffe, Tony O'Keeffe and Denny Long who won an All Ireland medal with Cork in 1973, those first 4 alone have about 28 AI medals won with Kerry.

Stacks surprisingly dont have a website to confirm the details and Mr Google is of little help. Kieran Donaghy is the latest player from Stacks to win an All Ireland and before him you had William Kirby (who has 3 medals) and Pa Laide.
2011: McGrath Cup
AI Junior Club
Hurling Christy Ring Cup
Munster Senior Football

5 Sams

Jaysus Mike that is as comprehesive as it comes...I googled Ausin Stacks and as you say nil moran ann. If you PM me I'll tell you who the "Oul Fella" was!! I'd say you'll know him!!
The Aristocrat Years

AZOffaly

Jaysus Mike, It couldn't be 83 medalists, unless you are counting the Tralee Mitchells lads from the early years.

With all the 2 in a rows, 3 in a row etc, there had to be a crossover of players on multiple teams. Surely.

AZOffaly

Quotethose first 4 alone have about 28 AI medals won with Kerry.

That kind of supports my idea. If 4 lads alone have 28 medals, then surely there isnt another 79 lads from one club considering there are only another 790 or so medals. I'm, sure the likes of Spillane, Jacko, The Gealteacht lads, have multiple medals as well, cutting the 'pool' down further.

This might be a good research project :D

magickingdom

still locked off this bloody board from home/work since the move, very annoying to say the least.   83 medals would be a lot imo and as i hate (!) the stacks it will hurt me to ask but i will and get back here. the top of rock st (urban terrace) was known as the street of champions because of the no. of ai medals there (only about 25 houses). micko doyles amongst others lived there. my parents bought his old house years ago so i make sure the green and gold hangs there when kerry are playing... anyway i know a few rockies so i'll see what they say and post back when i find a frendly computer....

Billys Boots

QuoteJaysus Mike, It couldn't be 83 medalists, unless you are counting the Tralee Mitchells lads from the early years.

Maybe 83 medallists have played for the club at some point, or are/were club members at some point.
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

AZOffaly

I know what he means Billy, I'm just saying that that seems to be an awful lot from one club when you consider that Kerry have a huge amount of multiple winners. It seems mad that 83 different fellas from Austin Stacks would have won at least 1 All Ireland Senior Medal each. (Barring the counting of Tralee Mitchels)