Building a house

Started by JimStynes, February 26, 2011, 04:19:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tony Baloney

Quote from: illdecide on February 09, 2016, 11:23:44 AM
FFs if i go into my Mums house and put her heating on she grumbles..."i'll have no oil left, that heatings never off...lol". For a laugh i'll turn her stat up to 22 and then next time i go back into house it's back down to 20.5.

I've tried explaining about the benefits of putting the heating on for 3-4 hours instead of boosting it for an hour at a time but she'll not listen...Old School.
We have UFH downstairs and she only boosts it for an hour. I have been telling her for years an hour on UFH is just burning oil. Blast it for 3 hours and you'll get heat off the slab for hours. Never listens!

The Gs Man

So what are the benefits of having the heat on for 3-4 hours rather than boosting it for an hour?

Ehhhhh, asking for a friend...
Keep 'er lit

illdecide

Quote from: The Gs Man on February 09, 2016, 02:03:50 PM
So what are the benefits of having the heat on for 3-4 hours rather than boosting it for an hour?

Okay...Your boiler is like an oven that heats the surrounding water...when it gets to a certain temperature it will knock itself off, the boiler will then fire up again as soon as the temp starts to drop. When you boost for an hour your boiler will cool way down again so when you decide to fire it up again it's cold and will stay on for ages, if you had kept it on for say 3 hours the boiler will only fire up for a few minutes and know itself off.

Think of it like a kettle, when you boil the water from cold it will take 5 mins but if has just been boiled 5 mins ago and you hit the button on the kettle it will only take 30 sec to boil again as the water is already hot. So for the boiler you can prob enjoy 3 hours of heat for the price of 2no hourly boosts plus you can control it better if you turn the stats down in your house to 20-21 this will also help
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

illdecide

Quote from: Tony Baloney on February 09, 2016, 01:39:04 PM
FFs if i go into my Mums house and put her heating on she grumbles..."i'll have no oil left, that heatings never off...lol". For a laugh i'll turn her stat up to 22 and then next time i go back into house it's back down to 20.5.

I've tried explaining about the benefits of putting the heating on for 3-4 hours instead of boosting it for an hour at a time but she'll not listen...Old School.
We have UFH downstairs and she only boosts it for an hour. I have been telling her for years an hour on UFH is just burning oil. Blast it for 3 hours and you'll get heat off the slab for hours. Never listens!

Ohh and i'm no expert in under ground heating but i was under the impression that had to be on constant to get the benefit of it (obviously not the summer months)

johnneycool

Quote from: illdecide on February 09, 2016, 02:46:00 PM

Ohh and i'm no expert in under ground heating but i was under the impression that had to be on constant to get the benefit of it (obviously not the summer months)

UFH is thermostatically controlled, so as much as its on all the time, the boiler will fire on and off depending on the readings from the thermostats at each particular zone, the boiler isn't firing solidly the whole time.

JohnDenver

Quote from: illdecide on February 09, 2016, 02:44:09 PM

Okay...Your boiler is like an oven that heats the surrounding water...when it gets to a certain temperature it will knock itself off, the boiler will then fire up again as soon as the temp starts to drop. When you boost for an hour your boiler will cool way down again so when you decide to fire it up again it's cold and will stay on for ages, if you had kept it on for say 3 hours the boiler will only fire up for a few minutes and know itself off.

Think of it like a kettle, when you boil the water from cold it will take 5 mins but if has just been boiled 5 mins ago and you hit the button on the kettle it will only take 30 sec to boil again as the water is already hot. So for the boiler you can prob enjoy 3 hours of heat for the price of 2no hourly boosts plus you can control it better if you turn the stats down in your house to 20-21 this will also help

Going by that theory - should you leave your heating on constantly? And let the stats do the work at maintaining the temperature and knocking on / off the boiler ?

blewuporstuffed

Quote from: JohnDenver on February 09, 2016, 03:53:45 PM

Going by that theory - should you leave your heating on constantly? And let the stats do the work at maintaining the temperature and knocking on / off the boiler ?

I have started doing that lately as well and it keeps the house at a far more even comfortable temperature. I turned the thermostat way down and leave the heating on all the time.
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

heganboy

interesting chat on thermostats. The interesting thing here is that this his one of the areas where tech can save you a clean fortune. there are a few smart thermostats on sale, nest is probably the best branded and owned by google, but there are now a few good ones, and they save you a big chunk on the heating bills. Well worth a look
Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity

Maguire01

Quote from: heganboy on February 09, 2016, 04:24:07 PM
interesting chat on thermostats. The interesting thing here is that this his one of the areas where tech can save you a clean fortune. there are a few smart thermostats on sale, nest is probably the best branded and owned by google, but there are now a few good ones, and they save you a big chunk on the heating bills. Well worth a look
Pardon the ignorance, but what makes a thermostat smart?

illdecide

Quote from: johnneycool on February 09, 2016, 03:44:33 PM
Quote from: illdecide on February 09, 2016, 02:46:00 PM

UFH is thermostatically controlled, so as much as its on all the time, the boiler will fire on and off depending on the readings from the thermostats at each particular zone, the boiler isn't firing solidly the whole time.

Yeah obviously Johnney or the above quote wouldn't make sense, I meant it to be on constant but only firing up when it needs too

The Iceman

Quote from: Maguire01 on February 09, 2016, 05:51:59 PM
smart would define any device connected to the internet of things. today they reckon theres about 3 billion devices connected and by 2020 gartner predicts there will be in excess of 20 billion connected devices. from phones, tablets, tvs and the like to thermostats, home lighting, home audio, cars, whole houses.....
I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

illdecide

Quote from: JohnDenver on February 09, 2016, 03:53:45 PM

Depends JD on your circumstances...if you and your other half are out working all day then it doesn't make much sense to heat your house when there's nobody there or for example during the night when you're in your bed but if you or your misses are in all day then yes it if it's cold outside it would make sense to keep heating on and let the stats control it...

illdecide

Yes, there are new stats out at the min that allows you to control them from say work or wherever you may be using your smart phone or laptop/PC

Maguire01

Quote from: The Iceman on February 09, 2016, 08:05:15 PM
smart would define any device connected to the internet of things. today they reckon theres about 3 billion devices connected and by 2020 gartner predicts there will be in excess of 20 billion connected devices. from phones, tablets, tvs and the like to thermostats, home lighting, home audio, cars, whole houses.....
So what's the advantage with a thermostat, just remote operation?

illdecide

Quote from: Maguire01 on February 09, 2016, 09:05:08 PM
Quote from: The Iceman on February 09, 2016, 08:05:15 PM
So what's the advantage with a thermostat, just remote operation?

Yeah...think thats it, never read too much into it tbh