The IRISH RUGBY thread

Started by Donnellys Hollow, October 27, 2009, 05:26:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dinny Breen

Quote from: screenexile on February 12, 2019, 11:50:39 AM
Quote from: Dinny Breen on February 12, 2019, 11:43:22 AM
Our rucking has been poor, which means Murray is under the type of pressure that he's just not use to. This is compounded by his rustiness and his accuracy has suffered. Still one of the best 9s in World Rugby.

Bundee Aki has never been noted for his passing, he's not there to pass and if does find himself in the 1st receiver role it's generally because something has gone wrong in the first 3/4 phases - that's a typical pattern for JS, he won't plan for more than that as the variables will just become unmanageable.

He would never admit it but Ireland look they are holding back, apart from Stockdale's try there has been a distinct lack of innovation. Almost like he's keeping his powder dry...

Is it that Ireland are being poor in the ruck or other teams are improving in this area. It definitely seems strange that things that were previously huge strengths are now weaknesses particularly when you know how high performing the group is from coaching to players and the players have been producing the goods for their provinces in the HEC... it does seem to suggest that they want to peak at the right time which is certainly not now

Good coaching from England, they brought lots of physicality, Scotland tried to emulate but don't have the same physical intensity. We've also had two French refs in a row, they allow the breakdown to be a battle zone, we would have seen a completely different game in the Aviva if a Southern Hemisphere ref was in charge, they demand quick ball and penalise accordingly.  But Ireland would have known this, they were outsmarted.
#newbridgeornowhere

Hardy

Quote from: Crete Boom on February 12, 2019, 11:28:24 AM
Quote from: Rudi on February 12, 2019, 10:58:57 AM
Probably should put this in the wtf thread. The Independent have Bundee Aki, Connor Murray & Jacob Stockdale (fair enough) on the 6 nations team of the week. Akis passing is brutal & Connor Murray has to be up there with the worst kickers in the game at the moment.

Listening a bit too much to Shag Horgan and Matty Wullliams there mate!! ;)

The problem with Bundee in the England game especially was he was in at first receiver too much when he is best used as a second or third option from rucks where he can use his strength to tie in defenders at the gain line or take them out with a quick offload or break!!

The problem against Scotland & England with the centers and back three was the passing was slightly to the back shoulder rather than out in front and this was confounded with slow ruck ball and slow service from Murray! It's very unusual for any of Joe's teams to have inaccurate passing and slow ruck ball so I would be confident this will be rectified sooner rather than later!!

Dunno about that. I'm told Joe don't allow no offloads nohow.

Crete Boom

Quote from: Dinny Breen on February 12, 2019, 11:43:22 AM
Our rucking has been poor, which means Murray is under the type of pressure that he's just not use to. This is compounded by his rustiness and his accuracy has suffered. Still one of the best 9s in World Rugby.

Bundee Aki has never been noted for his passing, he's not there to pass and if does find himself in the 1st receiver role it's generally because something has gone wrong in the first 3/4 phases - that's a typical pattern for JS, he won't plan for more than that as the variables will just become unmanageable.

He would never admit it but Ireland look they are holding back, apart from Stockdale's try there has been a distinct lack of innovation. Almost like he's keeping his powder dry...

I get that feeling too.

Crete Boom

Quote from: Hardy on February 12, 2019, 12:59:22 PM
Quote from: Crete Boom on February 12, 2019, 11:28:24 AM
Quote from: Rudi on February 12, 2019, 10:58:57 AM
Probably should put this in the wtf thread. The Independent have Bundee Aki, Connor Murray & Jacob Stockdale (fair enough) on the 6 nations team of the week. Akis passing is brutal & Connor Murray has to be up there with the worst kickers in the game at the moment.

Listening a bit too much to Shag Horgan and Matty Wullliams there mate!! ;)

The problem with Bundee in the England game especially was he was in at first receiver too much when he is best used as a second or third option from rucks where he can use his strength to tie in defenders at the gain line or take them out with a quick offload or break!!

The problem against Scotland & England with the centers and back three was the passing was slightly to the back shoulder rather than out in front and this was confounded with slow ruck ball and slow service from Murray! It's very unusual for any of Joe's teams to have inaccurate passing and slow ruck ball so I would be confident this will be rectified sooner rather than later!!

Dunno about that. I'm told Joe don't allow no offloads nohow.
Well Bundee is allowed offload for Connacht anyway! ;D

Walter Cronc

Jeez I dunno about the holding back lads.

Can you really do that in professional sport??

screenexile

Quote from: Walter Cronc on February 12, 2019, 01:06:26 PM

I'd say you can but it's a big risk!! Dublin are doing it at the minute.

johnnycool

Was wondering that myself, granted if Ireland don't win the 6N's it won't be the end of Joe's tenure so the pressure might be off in that regard.
If Eddie Jones had another poor 6N's campaign he and his team would have been under severe pressure, they're now hot favourites to win the WC and everything in between now.  ;)

I get the not putting too many new plays out there in Feb and March as these will be analysed to death come the World Cup, but the general handling, tackling, support etc etc is lacking zip and with a few lads injured you'd think some of the marginal squad players would be busting their balls to put on a good show and book a seat on the plane.

Insane Bolt

England now second favourites for WC at 4/1....Ireland out to 5/1 from 7/2.

seafoid

Quote from: screenexile on February 12, 2019, 01:46:52 PM

Dublin were 4/7 to win the League. It might be a bookie scam, you know
Very hard for punters to know what is going on and then you have will they wont they with Brexit
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Walter Cronc

Bit of a difference in the National League and 6 nations  ;D

screenexile

Quote from: Walter Cronc on February 12, 2019, 02:35:40 PM

It's not really though the team has already won a few championships and Grand Slams so while most years it is important this time it isn't really. Semi Final is the making or breaking of this team!!

GetOverTheBar

Just goes to show what a great world cup is ahead.

Ireland
England
Wales
New Zealand
South Africa

All capable of winning it.

Scotland could take anyone out on their day. Do the Wallabies have a kick in them left under Cheika? I can't profess to know much about Japan but raw emotion, at home they are going to cause Ireland and Scotland (without being too arrogant) bother as they look to 1/2 that group. The French are the French....you can never write them off, especially in a World Cup (although they are certainly building for 2023 moreso).

The English under Jones are bullies - I don't mean that in a critical way, I quite like Jones - when they play in his likeness they are a tough nut to crack, in your face and uncompromising. They hurt Ireland undoubtedly a few weeks ago....but I don't think Schmidt will be too gutted to take the attention off his men in the weeks/months to come with Eddie loving the limelight, but he might find the continually criminally underrated Gatland waiting in the long grass Saturday week....

NAG1

Quote from: GetOverTheBar on February 12, 2019, 03:17:38 PM
Just goes to show what a great world cup is ahead.

Ireland
England
Wales
New Zealand
South Africa

All capable of winning it.

Scotland could take anyone out on their day. Do the Wallabies have a kick in them left under Cheika? I can't profess to know much about Japan but raw emotion, at home they are going to cause Ireland and Scotland (without being too arrogant) bother as they look to 1/2 that group. The French are the French....you can never write them off, especially in a World Cup (although they are certainly building for 2023 moreso).

The English under Jones are bullies - I don't mean that in a critical way, I quite like Jones - when they play in his likeness they are a tough nut to crack, in your face and uncompromising. They hurt Ireland undoubtedly a few weeks ago....but I don't think Schmidt will be too gutted to take the attention off his men in the weeks/months to come with Eddie loving the limelight, but he might find the continually criminally underrated Gatland waiting in the long grass Saturday week....

Genuine question has there been one yet?

Great one off game yes but has there been a great tournament? I dont think so.

GetOverTheBar

I thought 2015 was a great World Cup. Obviously the final wasn't the best, I think teams are a lot more even coming into this World Cup than ever before.

Dinny Breen

Quote from: screenexile on February 12, 2019, 03:17:11 PM
Quote from: Walter Cronc on February 12, 2019, 02:35:40 PM

It's not really though the team has already won a few championships and Grand Slams so while most years it is important this time it isn't really. Semi Final is the making or breaking of this team!!

Their intent is to win every game but I think we will see a modified game plan for the World Cup, JS is not revealing his hand. Whereas Eddie Jones had to go for it or he would have been out of a job. I actually think Wales as well are not revealing their full hand.

Still the 6 nations is compelling as always.

As an aside I think Ireland need Joey Carberry to continue his growth and usurp Sexton for Ireland to have a real chance.
#newbridgeornowhere