Do Saturday Games work?

Started by BerfArmagh, August 05, 2008, 12:29:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BerfArmagh

Just watching the games in croker, which have been played on saturdays. Very Poor Attendances....

Personally I don't think it works as a lot of people have to work on saturdays. Why can't we play some of these games at say 7.30pm even on a saurday night and turn on the dam lights. Means fans who work on saturdays can attend & would make for a better atmosphere. Its ridiclous, to date we've only had really 1 match under lights (Dublin v Tyrone & it was a huge success, why not repeat it?), what was the point of installing them?

There'll be a lot of disapponted Armagh fans who not be able to attend the QF... I really do think Croker officials have lost the plot this year. Bring back Liam Mulvihill............

AFS

If games started at 7.30pm there would be issues with the fact that some people wouldn't get home afterwards til well after midnight.

illdecide

Look no matter what you do you will always put somebody out, you can't please everyone. People work on Saturdays, people will get home to late, Sundays are ok but you can't play it in Croke Park WTF ::)
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

T Fearon

Spare a thought for me. Dublin on Saturday to see Armagh, Glasgow on Sunday morning to see the Celts get the league flag, and I mght have to take Monday off to recover.

Tankie

There was nobody their on saturday because of lack of interest. those games hosuld have been played with one team getting home advantage!
Grand Slam Saturday!

Hound

I reckon the difference in the number of people who work Saturdays vs the number of people who work Sundays gets smaller all the time, i.e. many of those who used to work Saturdays now work Sundays as well or alternate Saturdays/Sundays. 

Personally I much prefer Saturday games and the earlier the throw-in the better.

stpauls

after checking Ticketmaster there for tickets for this Saturday's games, I see the Dublin - Tyrone game has been set for a 12 o'clock throw-in. Is this to stop the fans going to the pubs, and therefore the game starting on time?

Hound

Quote from: stpauls on August 05, 2008, 02:10:09 PM
after checking Ticketmaster there for tickets for this Saturday's games, I see the Dublin - Tyrone game has been set for a 12 o'clock throw-in. Is this to stop the fans going to the pubs, and therefore the game starting on time?
I wish it was 1200, and it would certainly get rid of the drunkenness,but I'd guess its just a mistake by Ticketmaster. 1200 is their default setting if they're not sure of the time. I think the GAA announced it was 4pm.

stpauls

Quote from: Hound on August 05, 2008, 02:17:29 PM
Quote from: stpauls on August 05, 2008, 02:10:09 PM
I wish it was 1200, and it would certainly get rid of the drunkenness,but I'd guess its just a mistake by Ticketmaster. 1200 is their default setting if they're not sure of the time. I think the GAA announced it was 4pm.

i didn't think the GAA would have set it for 12, especially as this game would attract a lot of tv viewers as well as a full house in Croker! and before anyone berates me for it, this was not a dig at the Dubs, just a genuine question!

ardal

As posted on the attendances thread:

Weekend crowds stack up just fine
In this section »

seán Moran ReportsGAELIC GAMES: CONCERNS ABOUT the size of the crowds at the weekend's All-Ireland qualifier third-round matches look exaggerated in the light of previous experience. Although Saturday's double bill drew what was marginally the smallest qualifier attendance at Croke Park, Sunday's Kildare-Fermanagh and Kerry-Monaghan was the second-highest of any double bill that didn't include Dublin.

When the All-Ireland qualifiers were introduced for the 2001 championship it was on the basis that the new system would give teams a second chance. According to Croke Park officials at the time the financial returns on what was a very successful first season were an unexpected bonus.

Although these receipts make up the funds for what is a valuable redistribution to the counties, the GAA doesn't see this as the series' primary function and there has been a willingness to change it around even at the cost of income.

Nonetheless, attendances at qualifier matches have been used as a gauge of how successfully a season is progressing.

Already this year Croke Park has twice issued statements insisting there is no great shortfall in the crowds turning out and figures are in line with the overall trend this decade.

Last weekend saw the first qualifier matches in Croke Park for three years and the lack of atmosphere caused by some poor football and small crowds was commented on.

But the statistics for eight years of qualifier attendances suggest there is nothing unusual about the last weekend.

The previous years, in which qualifiers were staged at Croke Park, 2005 and 2004, similar double bills (Laois-Derry/Tyrone-Monaghan and Fermanagh-Cork/Tyrone-Galway) drew 30,066 and 28,712 respectively - compared to the 27,834 present for last Saturday's Wexford-Down and Tyrone-Mayo fixtures.

Kerry-Monaghan and Kildare-Fermanagh drew 38,320 the following day, a figure that has only been bettered when Dublin played on qualifier double bills in 2004, 2003 and 2001 and by the 43,682 that in 2002 watched Sligo shock Tyrone and Donegal eliminate the All-Ireland champions Meath.

Over the years the average attendance for double bills not involving Dublin was 34,167.

When the qualifiers weren't played in Croke Park the maximum attendance at a match was the 23,751 that watched Roscommon beat Kildare at O'Moore Park, Portlaoise, in one of the best matches of 2003.

Otherwise the highest attendance at regionally fixed qualifiers has tended to be around 18,000 (that was the figure in four of the eight years).

Dublin's three outings at Croke Park in the qualifiers attracted similar attendances - 60,720, 63,143 and 63,369 - in 2001 (against Sligo), 2003 (against Armagh) and 2004 (against Roscommon), all as part of double bills.

Last weekend's turnout might also have been affected by the bank holiday.

One comparison from 2002 shows Dublin's All-Ireland quarter-final against Donegal drawing 77,298 as part of a double bill with Cork-Mayo on the August weekend of that year.

A couple of weeks later as a stand-alone fixture the counties were watched by 79,057.

Reacting to the suggestion these matches might be better played away from Croke Park, the twice All-Ireland-winning manager Mickey Harte strongly disagrees from the players' perspective.

"Without a doubt," he says. "It's not about crowds and atmosphere. It's about players getting the chance to play on the biggest stage. When you afford that opportunity you're opening up the stadium to players who mightn't otherwise get the chance.

"I wouldn't mind if there were only 1,000 in Croke Park. Give as many high-profile opportunities to players as possible.

"There's not many who'll experience an All-Ireland final but to get to play championship in our national stadium at any time is always worthwhile."

Asked about the same topic in the aftermath of the All-Ireland champions' defeat of Monaghan, the Kerry manager, Pat O'Shea, agreed with Harte.

"Playing the four games here this weekend was a great bonus," he said. "There's no excuses here. If you lose a game here you lose a game and more often than not to a better team. That's the way it should be.

"If you go to a provincial ground that won't always be the case. If we have the best stadium in Europe why not play our best games there?"

© 2008 The Irish Times

Niall Quinn

Quote from: hardstation on August 05, 2008, 03:18:59 PM
Quote from: Tankie on August 05, 2008, 01:56:54 PM
There was nobody their
Ach now, come on to feck. There's no excuse for that.

at least be consistent - their was nobody their.
Back to the howling old owl in the woods, hunting the horny back toad

Tankie

Quote from: Niall Quinn on August 05, 2008, 03:24:17 PM
Quote from: hardstation on August 05, 2008, 03:18:59 PM
Quote from: Tankie on August 05, 2008, 01:56:54 PM
There was nobody their
Ach now, come on to feck. There's no excuse for that.

at least be consistent - their was nobody their.

sorry - there! it still doesnt change that fact that I said that the attendances were going to be poor!
Grand Slam Saturday!

Puckoon

Quote from: T Fearon on August 05, 2008, 12:46:14 PM
Spare a thought for me. Dublin on Saturday to see Armagh, Glasgow on Sunday morning to see the Celts get the league flag, and I mght have to take Monday off to recover.

Off from what? Winning prizes? Writing letters?