Official Irish Football Association Thread (Northern Ireland)

Started by Mentalman, September 04, 2007, 11:39:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Main Street

Quote from: Jim_Murphy_74 on March 28, 2019, 05:32:07 PM
Quote from: Main Street on March 28, 2019, 02:51:07 PM
That was a dynamite entry by Conlon, choreographed to a tee.

I suppose it's the exact same as 10,000 jumping up and down screaming "we hate catholics" ;D

It's not the same, in fact a lot of people would say the equivalent would be 10,000 jumping up and down screaming "oh eh Up the UDA".

Something that would certainly have the keyboards clickedy-clacking in outrage around here.

/Jim.
It's just another sourpuss attempt at whataboutery

It was a joyous occasion at MSG, a carnival of celebration.

Jeepers Creepers

This story is getting a lot more mileage than it deserves.

Main Street

It's just the inevitable outbreak, the hollow bleating of nordie whataboutery, which prolongs a discussion topic way beyond its expiry date.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Main Street on March 28, 2019, 08:40:20 PM
It's just the inevitable outbreak, the hollow bleating of nordie whataboutery, which prolongs a discussion topic way beyond its expiry date.

You free staters will never know, understand or care.
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Hardy

It's hard to understand gibberish like that, in fairness.

lynchbhoy

Quote from: imtommygunn on March 27, 2019, 10:05:36 PM
Quote from: lynchbhoy on March 27, 2019, 07:46:30 PM
Quote from: imtommygunn on March 27, 2019, 03:59:34 PM
The mindset of "most" is not still the same - it's a pretty sweeping statement to make really. The mindset of some is still the same and the numbers are shrinking on that front.

Normal everyday people who are not bigoted don't make news stories. I don't know how you qualify that the mindset of most of the unionists / loyalists are still the same but if it's based on the DUP and newspapers it's not reflective to what I have encountered in everyday society pretty much all my adult life which was post GFA.

I didn't say anything about 1916 and no I don't need a history lesson. That sounded like an excuse to me.

(I have a season ticket to ROI by the way and live in the north. I don't know what world you live in)
Excuse my hole. It is what it is.
If anything it's an excuse for those looking to take offence.
That's the usual bs from unionist/loyalist/north of Ireland fans..

Ok I will say that I cant quantify numbers.. but unfortunately there are still too many shows of unionist/loyalist triumphalism, ... orange order marches, these marches now looking to take place in 100% nationalist areas that they've never been held in before etc etc
Yeah the DUP are the fulcrum... but they get voted in dont they!

I'm glad you've a season ticket for Ireland.
Is that a euphemism?

I'm glad also you are seeing a change in some attitudes. The video shows the vitriol is still there. It's there mostly from o e side. Rats in a corner

You probably don't even see any irony in the vitriol you just posted.
Vitriol   lol!!!

lynchbhoy

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on March 28, 2019, 01:40:56 PM
Quote from: Keyser soze on March 28, 2019, 11:02:03 AM
I would never support the NI football team for the simple reason that I don't even believe the statelet has the right to exist in the first place. I am sure every nationalist agrees with me and tbh I find it really difficult to understand how any catholic could support them let alone go to their games.

NI is a deeply sectarian place [hold the front page] as a result of the words and actions of the very people who are the OWC's biggest supporters. The same people looking us to go to Windsor and support NI are the exact same people who are swaggering down the streets all summer every summer, putting up offensive flags and beating a big drum and hoping that the fenians are cowering in their hovels, too afraid to come out.

The NI team is a lightning rod for these type of people and should be anathema for any self respecting Irish person IMO. Just because the bigots mostly manage to suppress their hatred for all things Irish/Catholic for a couple of hours while at the match does not change the fact that its a loyalist team for a loyalist people.

For those who say this is a 2 way street and that nationalists are also sectarian, that is just another excuse to pander to loyalist sectarianism.

It is Unionists who have fostered and fomented sectarianism in NI to keep their perceived supremacy over the fenians for centuries. This video is just a small example of that hatred being expressed for all the world to see.

The IFA 'Football For All' is a just a different version of Terence O'Neills 'treat them all right and they will become just like good protestants' as far as I am concerned.

Do you generalize much?

Do these songs not come across as sectarian?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DhrxRmEvW9I
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tffBhuUpZn0

Past Celtic players/manager like Rogan, O'Neill and Lennon were they Loyalist puppets also?

Too say that you think it's a one way street in relation to sectarianism is bollix (IMO) you are either blind to it or don't hear it. Is there one side more at it? Possibly and the summer marches and the likes of the Orange order fuel it, if you go looking for it you'll see it.

Not supporting the N.I team is fine, I wouldn't go anywhere near it and I only lived 10 minute walk away from it, and was there for the infamous Donegal Celtic Linfield game many moons ago.
But I've been in plenty bars during certain games and the language directed at certain teams is sectarian for sure, but you keep in the bubble just like the rest you have mentioned and we'll continue to have the same intrenched views. "we're better than themuns"
Def those chants shouting we hate protestants
And
Up to our necks in orangmens blood
Are despicable alright!! 

While not innocent songs ( one from 1916 era republicanism) they purport support for republicanism which unionists/loyalists will take offence or be offended by... but this is not in the same league as the pure naked sectarian hatred of shouting about hating catholics

lynchbhoy

I would never support the NI football team for the simple reason that I don't even believe the statelet has the right to exist in the first place. I am sure every nationalist agrees with me and tbh I find it really difficult to understand how any catholic could support them let alone go to their games.

NI is a deeply sectarian place [hold the front page] as a result of the words and actions of the very people who are the OWC's biggest supporters. The same people looking us to go to Windsor and support NI are the exact same people who are swaggering down the streets all summer every summer, putting up offensive flags and beating a big drum and hoping that the fenians are cowering in their hovels, too afraid to come out.

The NI team is a lightning rod for these type of people and should be anathema for any self respecting Irish person IMO. Just because the bigots mostly manage to suppress their hatred for all things Irish/Catholic for a couple of hours while at the match does not change the fact that its a loyalist team for a loyalist people.

For those who say this is a 2 way street and that nationalists are also sectarian, that is just another excuse to pander to loyalist sectarianism.

It is Unionists who have fostered and fomented sectarianism in NI to keep their perceived supremacy over the fenians for centuries. This video is just a small example of that hatred being expressed for all the world to see.

The IFA 'Football For All' is a just a different version of Terence O'Neills 'treat them all right and they will become just like good protestants' as far as I am concerned.
Spot on

Milltown Row2

Quote from: lynchbhoy on March 28, 2019, 10:15:13 PM

Do you generalize much?

Past Celtic players/manager like Rogan, O'Neill and Lennon were they Loyalist puppets also?

Too say that you think it's a one way street in relation to sectarianism is bollix (IMO) you are either blind to it or don't hear it. Is there one side more at it? Possibly and the summer marches and the likes of the Orange order fuel it, if you go looking for it you'll see it.

Not supporting the N.I team is fine, I wouldn't go anywhere near it and I only lived 10 minute walk away from it, and was there for the infamous Donegal Celtic Linfield game many moons ago.
But I've been in plenty bars during certain games and the language directed at certain teams is sectarian for sure, but you keep in the bubble just like the rest you have mentioned and we'll continue to have the same intrenched views. "we're better than themuns"
And
Are despicable alright!! 

While not innocent songs ( one from 1916 era republicanism) they purport support for republicanism which unionists/loyalists will take offence or be offended by... but this is not in the same league as the pure naked sectarian hatred of shouting about hating catholics

Look you can put dates on it and flower it up as much as you want, but that doesn't cut the mustard.

Provos going on to the Shankill road and blowing up a fish shop and killing innocent people will be looked at as sectarian murder. I'm sorry if you don't see that, but "themons" do
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

lynchbhoy

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on March 28, 2019, 10:22:08 PM

Do you generalize much?

And
Are despicable alright!! 

Look you can put dates on it and flower it up as much as you want, but that doesn't cut the mustard.

Provos going on to the Shankill road and blowing up a fish shop and killing innocent people will be looked at as sectarian murder. I'm sorry if you don't see that, but "themons" do
I understand your opinion

I just dont agree with it

Milltown Row2

Quote from: lynchbhoy on March 28, 2019, 10:23:19 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on March 28, 2019, 10:22:08 PM

Do you generalize much?

And
Are despicable alright!! 

I understand your opinion

I just dont agree with it

That's fine , I wouldn't expect you too

Main Street

The Celtic Symphony, modest tune as it is, has gained global acclaim. In the trendy world of influencers. hits and clicks, it has garnered about 80m "plays"  due to the Dropkick Murphys, the Wolf Tones, Celtic fans, Charlie and the Bhoys  etc etc. It has gone global, from Rio di Janero to Alaska to Moscow to Hamburg to Adelaide. People all over the world love to dance and sing without hatred in their hearts.
Where as the fascist tunes of bigotry are played in dungeons of hate, where Trevor the racist from Lewisham can feel at home, having a short respite from the filth that immigrants have brought into his neighbourhood.

Applesisapples

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on March 28, 2019, 06:22:30 PM
Quote from: Applesisapples on March 28, 2019, 02:10:06 PM

Do you generalize much?

Context is everything, I absolutely love the song Grace having bought an album with Jim McCann's incredible version on it at least 20 years ago, the Celtic Symphony is a good tune to, in the context of Conlon's fight I doubt there was an intention to offend, the banner at the game is definitely offensive. But support for the IRA (which I don't espouse) is political rather than sectarian, but no less offensive in certain circumstances. Singing about hating Kafflics is sectarian. Whether you like them or not Republican songs tend to be political rather than being up to your neck in protestant blood.

Well context is everything and if someone is offended by it glorifying republicans in the modern era the surely that's offensive. Just because you like the song doesn't mean it won't offend someone.

To prods supporting the "ra" is an attack on them be it a religious thing or political.

That shower of scum bags singing we hate catholic's is sad and they are to be pitied.
Christ the fcuk in night have you even listened to Grace. Re offence I think that's what I said. But I don't have an issue with the say, dolly's brae etc... In the correct place and time, ie context.

oliverkelly