Trevor Brennan does a Cantona!

Started by GalwayBayBoy, January 21, 2007, 08:37:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GalwayBayBoy

Truthfully nobody knows where the truth lies. Personally I find it very difficult to believe that Brennan vaulted the fence to bash someone just because they said he had a "below par Irish pub" which is what the fella he slapped has said he shouted out. The night of the punch-up a poster on Munsterfans.com who lives in Toulouse and who was at the match and sitting not too far away from the incident said he heard the "whore" comments and two days later we have Brennan coming out and saying the same thing in the paper which leads me to think someone said something out of order.

Trevor reacted to it and ended up chinning yer man (who in fairness might not be the guilty party at all).

Either way it's incidental in a way as you can't go around punching people so Trevor is justifiably going to be facing a long ban.

Evil Genius

Quote from: Josey Whales on January 23, 2007, 01:54:01 PM
It gets better - keep them coming- i had to read the above a couple of times just to make sure my eyes weren't deceiving. Like are you having a laugh? Hilarious.

Look at this photo of TB being led away by a steward. Half the fans are female, and half the fans are middle-aged (or above). A few are young kids.

Does that really look like a group of people who would engage in sustained baiting of a player along the lines of "Your mother's a whore"?

JW, have you ever actually been to a rugby match?

Did you even know who TB was before this incident? If you did, you'll know the reputation he has throughout the game for being a nutter. (And in particular, you'll know that French forward play has a well-earned reputation as being just about the filthiest in Europe)
"If you come in here again, you'd better bring guns"
"We don't need guns"
"Yes you fuckin' do"

Evil Genius

Quote from: Carmen Stateside on January 23, 2007, 02:08:09 PM
Not only would I expect that many would have been too ashamed to say anything in the aftermath, or couched their comment in ambiguous terms, but I have no doubt many others of them would have subsequently spoken out unequivocably to condemn the culprit, had he behaved as alleged

Just like their buddys in the RUC!!!!! ::)

So you're equating the crowd at a rugby match to the RUC?

p***k.  >:(
"We don't need guns"
"Yes you fuckin' do"

An Fear Rua

why the butchers aprons? I thought that was 6 county only effort?
Its Grim up North

armaghniac

No doubt, people with sectarian flags might also be capable of sectarian comments.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Over the Bar

Someone, somewhere must have this on video phone, esp. if he was warming up in front of the fans immediately beforehand. 

realredhandfan

What Brennan did he will suffer for, he is guilty as charged, his actions were outragaeous, as were  Cantonas and to a lesser extent Zizou, what needs to be determined quickly, did others contribute to this with racial, personal or sectarian abuse because if thats creeping into Rugby then its has to be nipped in the bud.   

Evil Genius

Quote from: realredhandfan on January 23, 2007, 03:58:00 PM
What Brennan did he will suffer for, he is guilty as charged, his actions were outragaeous, as were  Cantonas and to a lesser extent Zizou, what needs to be determined quickly, did others contribute to this with racial, personal or sectarian abuse because if thats creeping into Rugby then its has to be nipped in the bud.   

Whatever else it was, any abuse was most definitely NOT either "racial" or "sectarian". This was made explicit in TB's Statement issued yesterday.

If my understanding is correct, this slur originated with TB's Uncle, to an RTE Radio phone-in, where he said his brother - TB's Dad - had told him TB had been called a "Fenian Bastard". Since TB himself has now specifically denied it, it would appear that someone within the family is lying. Anyhow, whoever it was, this slur needs to be nailed once and for all.
"We don't need guns"
"Yes you fuckin' do"

Evil Genius

Sky Sports News is reporting a Statement from Paddy Bamford (the guy punched by TB), in which he flatly denied that he or anyone seated near him made any remarks about TB's mother (never mind anything sectarian).
Unfortunately, I can't find anything on their website, though I did find this from the B. Telegraph:

http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/local-national/article2178286.ece
I just want an apology, says Ulster rugby fan

Tuesday, January 23, 2007

By Gavin Mairs and Claire McNeilly

The Ulster rugby supporter assaulted by former Irish international Trevor Brennan has said he hopes the player will apologise to him.

And Patrick Bamford, who was attacked during Sunday's bad-tempered Heineken Cup game in France, has flatly denied allegations that he made a sectarian remark to the Toulouse forward.

French reports suggested that Dublin-born Brennan had been subjected to " anti-Catholic singing".

The allegation was made by Brennan's uncle George Brennan on a Dublin radio station yesterday.

Brennan has issued a statement saying he regrets the incident.

In an interview with the Belfast Telegraph, Mr Bamford, who suffered multiple facial injuries after Brennan jumped into the stand in an Eric Cantona-style attack, refuted the allegations of sectarian abuse.

"My best mate is a Catholic and he was sitting in the seat beside me," he said.

"I can't believe there are allegations of any kind of sectarian chanting."

Mr Bamford, who moved to London two years ago to work as an accountant, said the Ulster supporters at the Ernest Wallon stadium had given Brennan "a bit of banter" about his Irish pub in Toulouse, where many of them had visited the night before.

"The chant was something like 'Your bar's a load of rubbish' and I just shouted out 'A below-par Irish pub, Trevor'.

"Brennan caught my eye as he warmed up in front of us and then he climbed over the barrier and started to climb up the steps.

"I thought it was a bit odd and I thought he was coming for a bit more banter. I actually put my hand out to shake his hand.

"I don't remember much after that. I think it must be the shock of it all. The next thing I remember was being in the Toulouse physio room where I was treated by a French doctor."

Mr Bamford made a statement to French police on Sunday night before flying back to London - but has yet to press charges.

He has a suspected fractured skull and his jaw remains very swollen.

"I am still in a state of shock," he said.

"I have heard nothing at all from the Toulouse club. I don't know what I am going to do."

The Ulsterman said he hoped Brennan would at least offer him an apology.

"It is not up to me to decide what punishment Brennan gets, but it would be nice if he at least apologised to me."

In a statement to the Irish Times, Brennan claimed the bust up arose after spectators insulted his mother.

"Just after half-time my coach Guy Noves asked me to warm up, which I started to do behind the try line of Ulster," he said.

Brennan then said he stepped into he crowd after Ulster fans started chanting about his mother.

"At this stage, I approached this group, who threw beer at me. Some supporters told me not to pay attention to what they were saying."

The Toulouse player added : "I regret this incident happened, I didn't initiate it or provoke it - it was the last thing I would have wished for," he said.

Sky also reiterated that PB has a "suspected fractured skull" and "severely swollen jaw".  :o
"We don't need guns"
"Yes you fuckin' do"

BallyhaiseMan

Im guessing Mr Patrick Bamford will refrain from taunting Rugby players in future  :D   :D  :D  :D

also i didnt know the Stormont Flag represents the Ulster Rugby Team....

No Donegal, Monaghan or Cavan Rugby fans need apply eh?  ::)

pintsofguinness

QuoteHe has a suspected fractured skull and his jaw remains very swollen.
I'm no doctor but if he had a fractured skull would be no be in hospital? If he had a "suspected fractured skull" you'd think they'd f**king find out if he did or not?  ::)

QuoteNo Donegal, Monaghan or Cavan Rugby fans need apply eh?
so it would seem.
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

dodo

Is that Oisin McConville wearing Joe Kernan's trousars moonlighting as a match steward ?  :-\

Carmen Stateside

Quote from: pintsofguinness on January 23, 2007, 06:28:41 PM

QuoteNo Donegal, Monaghan or Cavan Rugby fans need apply eh?
so it would seem.

Pity for there is some Big strappin lads from them neck of the woods!!! :(

GweylTah

Quote from: An Fear Rua on January 23, 2007, 02:24:26 PM
why the butchers aprons? I thought that was 6 county only effort?

THe bigotted red hand.

Oh the irony!!!

Butchers apron? What year are you in?

GweylTah

Quote from: armaghniac on January 23, 2007, 03:28:50 PM
No doubt, people with sectarian flags might also be capable of sectarian comments.

You would be well-qualified to know.

Re-read some of your old posts and for goodness sake sell that greenhouse along with the high horse.