Running

Started by ONeill, June 09, 2009, 09:11:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Milltown Row2

Great video!

I feel like heading out for a recovery run/jog tonight but feel scared lol!!!

I checked out your Splits ballinaman for the same race in amsterdam! Feck!
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

ballinaman

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on October 19, 2017, 10:46:43 AM
Great video!

I feel like heading out for a recovery run/jog tonight but feel scared lol!!!

I checked out your Splits ballinaman for the same race in amsterdam! Feck!
Take it easy, slow as you can go nearly...body will still be in bits.

Feck is right, ballsed that race up in the first 5 miles..bit too saucy and paid for it from 18 onwards.

laoislad

Hard enough running a Marathon without being sent the wrong way!
Ballinaman might win on sunday if the same thing happens!
https://www.rte.ie/sport/athletics/2017/1023/914544-unheralded-runner-wins/
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

Radda bout yeee

I have a friend who is asking me to enter the marathon as a late entry as his friend can't do it now. I haven't trained specifically for the marathon but i run quite a bit and done a 10mile lately in 74mins.

I have never done a marathon but have done a couple of half marathons and my longest ever run was about 18mile.

Is it possible or would I be mad to do it?

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Radda bout yeee on October 24, 2017, 11:45:20 AM
I have a friend who is asking me to enter the marathon as a late entry as his friend can't do it now. I haven't trained specifically for the marathon but i run quite a bit and done a 10mile lately in 74mins.

I have never done a marathon but have done a couple of half marathons and my longest ever run was about 18mile.

MAD!!

Unless you just go along and and enjoy it at a nice easy pace and its.. a lot depends on when you did that 18miler.. looking back at mine i wish i had have trained better and i did a lot of miles but not routinely as such, with one 21 miler that left me slightly mad at the end of it..

Big buzz with a few friends doing it at the weekend, so good luck!
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

WT4E

Done 18 mile about 3 years ago! LOL

I wouldn't be trying to break any records but if i did I would like to try and get round in 4 hours!

I'm not sure myself and  I am currently in the I won't do it mindset.

tonto1888

I guess this is the best place for it. Ive entered tough mudder next year. 10 miles, 20 obstacles. Has anyone any experience of these?

Milltown Row2

Quote from: tonto1888 on October 24, 2017, 01:38:53 PM
I guess this is the best place for it. Ive entered tough mudder next year. 10 miles, 20 obstacles. Has anyone any experience of these?

Great craic but you'll feel it the next day for sure!! and week.. not a race as such but tough on the legs

tonto1888

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on October 24, 2017, 01:45:26 PM

Great craic but you'll feel it the next day for sure!! and week.. not a race as such but tough on the legs

cheers. Thinking of maybe doing a couple fell runs to practice. Anybody know of any in the north? Or of that's even a good idea?

GetOverTheBar

Quote from: tonto1888 on October 24, 2017, 01:49:22 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on October 24, 2017, 01:45:26 PM

cheers. Thinking of maybe doing a couple fell runs to practice. Anybody know of any in the north? Or of that's even a good idea?

Try the below, usually held around my way - they are pretty miserable

https://www.bstextreme.com/

SHEEDY

Quote from: Radda bout yeee on October 24, 2017, 11:45:20 AM

Quote from: WT4E on October 24, 2017, 12:14:45 PM
Done 18 mile about 3 years ago! LOL

I wouldn't be trying to break any records but if i did I would like to try and get round in 4 hours!

I'm not sure myself and  I am currently in the I won't do it mindset.
who is thinking of doing the marathon, WT43 or Radda bout yeee??   ;)

Doing it myself but absolutely dosed with a cold at the minute. Nightmare. >:(
nil satis nisi optimum

lfdown2

Who all is running Sunday...excitement building now!!

laoislad

Not me this year. I'll be in the Pheonix Park cheering ye on though. Best of luck to everyone running. Dublin is a great Marathon.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

Estimator

Injury Question:
I'd generally run about three times a week, not big miles at all, (35-50miles a month).  I was out for a run last Tuesday and I'd a bit of a niggle/strain in my left leg around the calf/achilles area, after the run I probably didn't stretch as well as I should have done.  It bothered me a bit for the rest of the week, but I didn't think too much about it, as I didn't think it was anything serious. So, I went out for another run on Sunday morning 
About 1mile in my calf/Achilles was starting to ache, and by the time I'd almost two miles complete, it was at a stage where my right leg was starting to feel uncomfortable as I think I was over-compensating for the pain in my left leg.  Stopped at 2miles, got a lift back to the house and located the source of the agony was the top of my achilles. Was limping about all day Sunday and Monday, with slight improvement today.
Attempting to self-diagnose online and it could be Achilles tendonitis.  Anyone else had an injury like this before? How long would this stop me running for? Any exercises worth doing to aid recovery?
Ulster League Champions 2009

ballinaman

Quote from: Estimator on October 24, 2017, 03:38:53 PM
Injury Question:
I'd generally run about three times a week, not big miles at all, (35-50miles a month).  I was out for a run last Tuesday and I'd a bit of a niggle/strain in my left leg around the calf/achilles area, after the run I probably didn't stretch as well as I should have done.  It bothered me a bit for the rest of the week, but I didn't think too much about it, as I didn't think it was anything serious. So, I went out for another run on Sunday morning 
About 1mile in my calf/Achilles was starting to ache, and by the time I'd almost two miles complete, it was at a stage where my right leg was starting to feel uncomfortable as I think I was over-compensating for the pain in my left leg.  Stopped at 2miles, got a lift back to the house and located the source of the agony was the top of my achilles. Was limping about all day Sunday and Monday, with slight improvement today.
Attempting to self-diagnose online and it could be Achilles tendonitis.  Anyone else had an injury like this before? How long would this stop me running for? Any exercises worth doing to aid recovery?
Sounds like mid portional Achilles tendinopathy ....or potentially a intra substance partial tear ...Ultrasound would give definite diagnosis but rehab is similar.

I would see a chartered physiotherapist when you can.
They will go through training load and other potential causative factors ..reduced sleep, stress..ankle mobility ect..

Initial rehab is deload from running...start body weight calf isometrics . Definitely no stretching of the tendon. Physio will progress your rehab as appropriate ...if you manage it early you will be back within 1-2 weeks...ignore it, will be at you much longer. DM if any problems .