Running

Started by ONeill, June 09, 2009, 09:11:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Milltown Row2

Quote from: theskull1 on August 06, 2017, 03:00:00 PM
Didnt realise you were refereeing intercounty matches ;D

Feck aff  ;)
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Milltown Row2

Quote from: imtommygunn on August 06, 2017, 03:02:19 PM
I would say about the 2 hour mark. If you need it way before then you probably aren't eating and/ or hydrating enough beforehand...

Was the last few runs around the 14 mile mark I'm starting to flag! But yeah hydrating probably the main problem!
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

lfdown2

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on August 06, 2017, 06:10:00 PM
I would say about the 2 hour mark. If you need it way before then you probably aren't eating and/ or hydrating enough beforehand...

Was the last few runs around the 14 mile mark I'm starting to flag! But yeah hydrating probably the main problem!

For the longer runs I would get a gel in at each 5km (was doing it that way to coincide with water/food stations) no point getting it in once you are feeling spent.

Milltown Row2

r
Quote from: lfdown2 on August 07, 2017, 09:02:02 AM

For the longer runs I would get a gel in at each 5km (was doing it that way to coincide with water/food stations) no point getting it in once you are feeling spent.

Every 5k, do they cover the hydration? was thinking of getting a belt to carry small water containers, wouldnt normally drink much, though at the Lisburn half i drank loads as the weather was warm ,which brought other hassle, need for a piss and stopping and drinking as drinking from a cup is impossible unless you stop!

Looking at new trainers today, anyone using the Hoka trainers? The fella at the Pure Running shop in Belfast said they are a decent shoe

Muck Savage

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on August 07, 2017, 01:45:57 PM
r

Every 5k, do they cover the hydration? was thinking of getting a belt to carry small water containers, wouldnt normally drink much, though at the Lisburn half i drank loads as the weather was warm ,which brought other hassle, need for a piss and stopping and drinking as drinking from a cup is impossible unless you stop!

Looking at new trainers today, anyone using the Hoka trainers? The fella at the Pure Running shop in Belfast said they are a decent shoe

I'm going to assume a long run is 35km-40km. Ideally you should drink a lot of water in the 24hrs before a long run. I use to drink 1-1.5 Gallons in this time, your piss should be clear. I also use to bring a water bottle with me with diluted Gatorade in it, I just carried it in my hand. I also had a t-shits with pockets in the back (like a cycling shirt) and put 4-5 gels in there. Like already mentioned take one every 5km-7km as they usually take 30-40mins to actually kick in.
I remember reading somewhere that your body has about 2000 calories to burn pretty fast (glycogen). After that is starts to eat into fat but that takes time to convert so on a run it's not much help. You burn apron 100 calories per mile so ~2600 calories per marathon so there is a gap there of about 600 calories, each gel has ~100 calories that the body can convert pretty fast. There are a number of websites to calculate what you will burn based on weight/height/speed etc. to be more accurate. Its pretty simple that once you run out of glycogen you crash.
All of this assumes that the week prior to along run you eat the right food in preparation.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Muck Savage on August 07, 2017, 06:48:14 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on August 07, 2017, 01:45:57 PM
r

I'm going to assume a long run is 35km-40km. Ideally you should drink a lot of water in the 24hrs before a long run. I use to drink 1-1.5 Gallons in this time, your piss should be clear. I also use to bring a water bottle with me with diluted Gatorade in it, I just carried it in my hand. I also had a t-shits with pockets in the back (like a cycling shirt) and put 4-5 gels in there. Like already mentioned take one every 5km-7km as they usually take 30-40mins to actually kick in.
I remember reading somewhere that your body has about 2000 calories to burn pretty fast (glycogen). After that is starts to eat into fat but that takes time to convert so on a run it's not much help. You burn apron 100 calories per mile so ~2600 calories per marathon so there is a gap there of about 600 calories, each gel has ~100 calories that the body can convert pretty fast. There are a number of websites to calculate what you will burn based on weight/height/speed etc. to be more accurate. Its pretty simple that once you run out of glycogen you crash.
All of this assumes that the week prior to along run you eat the right food in preparation.

Not at 35k yet a few 25k's recently but being pig ignorant I thought I'd be grand, not the hitting the wall feeling but I'd imagine another 5k I'd have collapsed !

imtommygunn

Pre hydration and fueling very important if you're not used to it. Also proper pace is important. Too fast without the fitness and you will struggle.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: imtommygunn on August 07, 2017, 09:02:12 PM
Pre hydration and fueling very important if you're not used to it. Also proper pace is important. Too fast without the fitness and you will struggle.

2 weeks in Florida didn't help! Diet was huge breakfasts at IHOP Wendy's in afternoon and Red Lobster at night beers and wine!! So hopefully back on track now

dclane

The drugs didn't work for Mo tonight.

screenexile

Quote from: dclane on August 12, 2017, 08:37:06 PM
The drugs didn't work for Mo tonight.

Good to see!!

Milltown Row2

So was he on drugs or not??

ballinaman

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on August 12, 2017, 08:41:15 PM
So was he on drugs or not??
Ethiopians were on better drugs tonight

An Watcher

Delighted to see it, at one stage the commentators were comparing him to the All Blacks.  For want of a better word, wankers

imtommygunn

The big ethiopian dude broke him then didn't even get a medal.

I would say yes mr. There are too many dodgy connections but unlikely we will ever know.

Milltown Row2

So we are assuming? Surely if he was doped up he'd have won?? I think in the main all sports people at some level are on enhancing drugs, be it GAA or Lacrosse unfortunately.. me personally I'll wait till they are caught