'GAA Athletes for a No Vote'

Started by Jinxy, April 21, 2018, 08:17:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Orchard park

Quote from: Syferus on April 25, 2018, 07:21:06 PM
Quote from: BennyCake on April 25, 2018, 07:09:30 PM
I do agree with Harte on his abortion stance, but disagree with how he went about it.

He has influence, but there is more societal issues that he could be addressing: benefit cuts, zero hour contracts, mental health funding, and I don't recall hearing from him when the banks screwed the people over. Ok there's only so much one man can do, but these kind of issues affect more people than the abortion referendum. Join up with Brolly and address such issues.

What the fĂșck?

With you there Syferus.....

Jinxy

Just heard that Mickey has recorded a short video condemning the vulture funds on the grass bank at the Hospital End in Pairc Tailteann.
A county board official grabbed the video camera and tried to run off with it but he was quickly surrounded and dispossessed by Mickey's entourage.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

BennyHarp

Quote from: Jinxy on April 25, 2018, 10:38:14 PM
Just heard that Mickey has recorded a short video condemning the vulture funds on the grass bank at the Hospital End in Pairc Tailteann.
A county board official grabbed the video camera and tried to run off with it but he was quickly surrounded and dispossessed by Mickey's entourage.

There should be 24 hour rolling news coverage of this. He's been from Cootehill to Ballyfermot to Navan breaking into GAA grounds. No ground is safe. Locks your gates guys.
That was never a square ball!!

sid waddell

Quote from: Jinxy on April 25, 2018, 10:38:14 PM
First he blighted the GAA with the scourge of handpassing.

Now he's moved on to trespassing.

No pitch in Ireland is safe from Mickey "The Trespasser" Harte.

sid waddell

Mickey Harte and the Tyrone Roses proudly present their new single "Breaking Into Tailteann", from their new album "Second Coming".

I've been casing your joint
For the past my best years of life
Like the look of your pitch
To tell everyone I'm right
When I'm angry and out in the cold
When I'm having it rough
Or just getting old
Listen up sweet child o' mine
Have I got news for you
If the 8th is repealed
No baby leaves this place alive
They'll die and join the queue
Better man the stadium gates
I'm coming in tonight
Have a red hand and a video camera
Outta sight
When I preach and when I roam
I'll find a soul I can trust
I'm coming home
Have I got news for you
If the 8th is repealed
They'll die and join the queue, sing it

I'm gonna break right into Tailteann
I can't wait anymore

Tailteann's gates won't hold me
I'll Cavanagh-tackle those suckers down
Laughing loud at your locks
When they hit the ground
Every Yes voter in every town
Hear this, your number's up
I'm coming 'round
Have I got news for you
If the 8th is repealed
They'll die and join the queue, sing it

I'm gonna break right into Tailteann
I can't wait anymore
How many times will I have to tell you
If the 8th goes you won't have to wait to die
You can have it all, any time you want it
Yeah, I gotta protect what's inside

Jinxy

Anti-abortion group defends Mickey Harte

However, a spokesman for Save the 8th last night defended Mr Harte and players involved in campaigning.

"In 2015, the Gaelic Players Association came out, en masse, for a 'Yes' vote in the marriage referendum. The GAA said nothing.

"Last week, a number of players came out for a 'No' vote in the abortion referendum, and the GAA is suddenly concerned.

"It is unclear what has changed from 2015 to now."

https://www.irishnews.com/news/northernirelandnews/2018/04/26/news/anti-abortion-group-defends-mickey-harte-1314257/

It is a fair point although I could argue about the technicalities.
I haven't heard anything from the GPA regarding the upcoming referendum, but for argument's sake, if they came out and said, "We've polled our membership and 70% are in favour of us advocating for a 'YES' vote", what would/could the GAA do or say about it?

Rossfan

If their statement started with a load of stuff about the GAA's vision and mission statement and then ran into advocating......
Also if it was launched in a GAA club's pitch with training/coaching involved.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Jinxy

If the GPA are in receipt of funding from the GAA, are they not just another 'unit'?

Lar Naparka

Quote from: Jinxy on April 26, 2018, 09:52:42 AM
Anti-abortion group defends Mickey Harte

However, a spokesman for Save the 8th last night defended Mr Harte and players involved in campaigning.

"In 2015, the Gaelic Players Association came out, en masse, for a 'Yes' vote in the marriage referendum. The GAA said nothing.

"Last week, a number of players came out for a 'No' vote in the abortion referendum, and the GAA is suddenly concerned.

"It is unclear what has changed from 2015 to now."

https://www.irishnews.com/news/northernirelandnews/2018/04/26/news/anti-abortion-group-defends-mickey-harte-1314257/

It is a fair point although I could argue about the technicalities.
I haven't heard anything from the GPA regarding the upcoming referendum, but for argument's sake, if they came out and said, "We've polled our membership and 70% are in favour of us advocating for a 'YES' vote", what would/could the GAA do or say about it?
Any connection between what he GPA did in the run in to the last referendum and what Mickey & Co are doing at present is fairly tenuous, to say the least.
As far as I can recall, both the GPA and the LGPA (WGPA?) announced that both bodies were officially endorsing the referendum and, apart from publishing the results of a poll conduced by each association, neither got actively involved.
On the other hand, Mickey &  Co. represent, well, Mickey & Co and have used GAA grounds, apparently without permission  to broadcast their message and have manipulated  children to try to influence their parents voting intentions.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

Jinxy

What if the GPA endorsed a 'NO' vote in the same-sex marriage referendum though?
Could you imagine the negative backlash there would have been against the GAA as a whole?
I'm curious to know if the GPA will be getting involved in the upcoming referendum, since they've already established the precedent.

Lar Naparka

Quote from: Jinxy on April 26, 2018, 12:25:10 PM
What if the GPA endorsed a 'NO' vote in the same-sex marriage referendum though?
Could you imagine the negative backlash there would have been against the GAA as a whole?
I'm curious to know if the GPA will be getting involved in the upcoming referendum, since they've already established the precedent.
But they didn't and, apart from announcing the results of the poll they conducted, they didn't get actively involved one way or the other.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

Jinxy

Not endorsing a vote either way = not getting actively involved.
Endorsing a vote = getting actively involved.
Just to be clear, I voted yes in the same-sex marriage referendum, and will be voting yes in the upcoming referendum so it's not about which side they came down on.
It's the principle and the precedent that I'm primarily interested in.
Lets say the GPA put the issue of endorsing the upcoming referendum to a vote and it came back 50:50 or even 60:40 against.
Would they report that?

BennyCake

Quote from: Jinxy on April 26, 2018, 12:25:10 PM

If GPA endorsed a No vote for SS marriage, youwouldnt have heard about it, because people were afraid to speak out against it (except the DUP) for fear of being attacked and ridiculed.

Jinxy

That would be my gut feeling on it as well, Benny.
It was essentially a PR move, but it sets a tricky precedent, particularly as the issue to be decided upon in the upcoming referendum is even more divisive.
I'd be surprised if some journo hasn't been in touch with the GPA to ask them if they will be polling their membership on this issue and when the results of that poll will be made available.
Also, I may be wrong, but I don't recall the representative bodies for soccer & rugby players getting involved in the previous referendum.

Rossfan

Why would any organisation be polling its  members at all about something it has no role in?

Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM