Tyrone County Football and Hurling

Started by Fear ón Srath Bán, April 01, 2007, 05:58:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

square_ball

Quote from: Fuzzman on July 19, 2017, 11:44:50 AM
Ahh yes, silly me. The beards final. Love it.
Has Joe got 2 medals or 3?

He has two. Think he came into the squad in 2004 and played full back in the 2005 final.

The Trap

Listen lads no doubt Mickey is a brilliant manager and brought the county great joy but some people on here have completely tinted glasses........in 15 years he won 6 ulster titles........every year he has managed there has also been the back door so in the years they were beat they had a second chance and generally took that chance. Not many other Tyrone managers got that chance since back door only started in 1997. During the whole period from 2003-2017 Tyrone would have been looked on as at least a top 8 team so the All Ireland quarter final is expected. I listened to an interview from Mark Conway on teamtalkmag and he talked about pieces of the puzzle and I think he is right. Mickey is top of the pyramid but there are many things in place to help Tyrone succeed in the present era.

southtyronegael

Have to agree with trap there. With the structures we have in place we should be competing for all irelands every year.

clarshack

Quote from: The Trap on July 19, 2017, 12:01:15 PM
Listen lads no doubt Mickey is a brilliant manager and brought the county great joy but some people on here have completely tinted glasses........in 15 years he won 6 ulster titles........every year he has managed there has also been the back door so in the years they were beat they had a second chance and generally took that chance. Not many other Tyrone managers got that chance since back door only started in 1997. During the whole period from 2003-2017 Tyrone would have been looked on as at least a top 8 team so the All Ireland quarter final is expected. I listened to an interview from Mark Conway on teamtalkmag and he talked about pieces of the puzzle and I think he is right. Mickey is top of the pyramid but there are many things in place to help Tyrone succeed in the present era.

first year of backdoor was 2001

The Trap

You are correct Clarshack....back door for hurling started in 1997.

Fuzzman

Yeah I think the backdoor has certainly benefit Ulster maybe more than other provinces as there are usually a few teams that were always well capable of progressing much further if they had of got out of Ulster.
2003 All Ireland final is a fine example with Tyrone meeting the reigning AI champs in the final.
Also Cork and Kerry met in the 2007 AI final.
Can you imagine how it would have worked during the early 90s with Down, Derry, Donegal and Tyrone all being quite strong.

southtyronegael

Quote from: The Trap on July 19, 2017, 12:28:37 PM
You are correct Clarshack....back door for hurling started in 1997.
backdoor in football started in 2001. Remember Derry?

southtyronegael

was always wondering why mc namee was being pushed forward to do all the irish news interviews and media work. he in the paper today talking about the team saying the rosary before every game and he thinks its great cause he goes go mass every sunday and before games anyway. embarressing stuff and hed be better sayin nothin and keepin that shit inhouse.

ONeill

The things about this side is - it's a testament to Harte that they're up there being spoken about as AI contenders. The 03-08 side was almost readymade and Mickey just added the extra polish.

Harte has turned this group into something I could never envisage, even with their underage medals. That's probably why he is what he is and I am what I am.

Even boys like Colm and Tiernan. Colm used to solo balls over his head and into the crowd. Now he's nearing legendary status in a Tyrone jersey with a major tweak in his role.

We have a dearth of real top quality inter-county scoring forwards that Kerry and Dublin have. But if he wins it with the current squad it'll better any AI before this year.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Fuzzman

I remember Stevie O'Neill telling me years ago that he thought full back would be Colm's best position. I thought he was crazy.

Yeah Jim McGuinness was more or less saying the same O'Neill in his article that it would be breaking new ground to win Sam without any star players, normally you need both a few star players and great organisation and application. He also talked about teams are so better coached nowadays and thought it interesting what he said how players like McCurry, Ronan O'Neill and maybe Lee Brennan are much more natural selfish score getters who think about how much they can score for themselves whereas Mickey prefers players who are all about the team and maybe that's why he choses Bradley and Mulgrew.

Redhand Santa

Quote from: Fuzzman on July 20, 2017, 10:32:56 AM
I remember Stevie O'Neill telling me years ago that he thought full back would be Colm's best position. I thought he was crazy.

Yeah Jim McGuinness was more or less saying the same O'Neill in his article that it would be breaking new ground to win Sam without any star players, normally you need both a few star players and great organisation and application. He also talked about teams are so better coached nowadays and thought it interesting what he said how players like McCurry, Ronan O'Neill and maybe Lee Brennan are much more natural selfish score getters who think about how much they can score for themselves whereas Mickey prefers players who are all about the team and maybe that's why he choses Bradley and Mulgrew.

We may not have a star full forward but its wrong to say we don't have star players. The likes of Mattie, Harte, Cavanaghs, Sludden, McCann are top players. If we push forward in numbers come croke park we should be able to put enough scores on the board to trouble most teams.

Fuzzman

Yeah Peter Harte, Mattie & Sean are all-stars from the past few years.
Sludden, Mattie, Bradley and surprisingly Hampsey all have 5 points so far this year while McGeary, Tiernan, Conall all have 3 along with McCurry, Mulgrew and Lee B.

I suppose McGuinness meant you usually need an outstanding forward to bag you a good few scores per game whereas should we go on to win Sam this year we will be the first ever team to do that without such a player.

I hope we continue to attack like we have done for most of the games this year and don't retreat back into our shell like last years game v Mayo. It would be sad if it all came to an abrupt end just because of the fear factor. The Dubs down here seem to be very conscious that we could be on a collision course and whilst they are still very confident, they are wary that their team is far from settled with no Cooper and McMahon, MD Macauley and lots of new young lads coming in. They only had 4 starters the last day from the AI starting team in 2011. The new young lads are good but still relatively inexperienced at the top level.

clarshack

So how good are Tyrone really? Donegal game now put in perspective plus Derry and Down were very poor opposition too.

longballin

Quote from: clarshack on July 22, 2017, 09:01:26 PM
So how good are Tyrone really? Donegal game now put in perspective plus Derry and Down were very poor opposition too.

Thought the same... beware all the hype after beating three very poor teams

Redhand Santa

Form lines are always very hard to read in football. I'd say Donegal weren't as good as everyone thought pre Tyrone game. But Tyrone knocked the heart out of them and they've been a shadow of themselves since in the qualifiers. I wouldn't be overly concerned about how they've done. The big thing to learn was that we weren't as bad as those last three league games suggested.

We won't know if we've improved enough to beat a top team until we get a crack at one of them. Other results won't answer that question. A direct form line last year was that Mayo beat us by a point and drew with Dublin in the final so we weren't far away. We've probably improved since.