The Wire (tv drama)

Started by Main Street, October 18, 2008, 12:35:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jell 0 Biafra

The last season was very poor.  McNulty biting the homeless and passing it off as a serial killer was just ridiculous.  Liked seaons 1, 3 and 4.  Found season 2 a bit boring.

Main Street

I liked season 2 from the outset and like it just as much as the other 4 seasons.
it tells a tale of its own, the demise of the ports/stevedores through the  tragic figure of the union boss Frank  but s2 is also integral to the whole series with such plots as the drug lords marking territory, Prop Joe and the fearless gangster Omar versus the taciturn assassin Brother Mouzone.

tyssam5

Quote from: Jell 0 Biafra on August 28, 2015, 02:59:55 PM
The last season was very poor.  McNulty biting the homeless and passing it off as a serial killer was just ridiculous.  Liked seaons 1, 3 and 4.  Found season 2 a bit boring.

Season 2 seemed boring coming off the back of season 1, but when you watch it again (and you should) it probably one of the best seasons.

Jell 0 Biafra

Quote from: tyssam5 on August 28, 2015, 10:13:08 PM
Quote from: Jell 0 Biafra on August 28, 2015, 02:59:55 PM

Season 2 seemed boring coming off the back of season 1, but when you watch it again (and you should) it probably one of the best seasons.

Maybe I'll give it another shot.  Really didn't care for all the computer-monitor scenes  tracking the movement of shipping containers.

turk

My favourites were the two old cops who were transferred to the unit and were trying to get sick leave by throwing themselves down the stairs.

gallsman

The wife turned round to me on Sunday, out of the blue, and said she wanted to start watching the Wire. I've been trying to persuade her for years with no success all I'm delighted. It's a good few years since I watched it through. We'll finish S1 tonight!

David McKeown

Quote from: gallsman on September 06, 2018, 07:56:43 AM
The wife turned round to me on Sunday, out of the blue, and said she wanted to start watching the Wire. I've been trying to persuade her for years with no success all I'm delighted. It's a good few years since I watched it through. We'll finish S1 tonight!

The thing I always remember about watching season 1 was that the first time I watched I found it really difficult to understand the dialogue and I had to watch the first 4 or 5 episodes twice. I could then understand it perfectly. A couple of years ago I finally convinced my wife to watch it and she had the exact same problem whereas I was fine despite having not watched an episode in years. I always find that strange because I'd have no problem with the dialogue if I went to watch again tomorrow

To me it's the second best tv series ever made and in the words of Kevin Keegan that's the most praise you can give anything.
2022 Allianz League Prediction Competition Winner

Dinny Breen

Quote from: David McKeown on September 06, 2018, 09:58:35 AM

The thing I always remember about watching season 1 was that the first time I watched I found it really difficult to understand the dialogue and I had to watch the first 4 or 5 episodes twice. I could then understand it perfectly. A couple of years ago I finally convinced my wife to watch it and she had the exact same problem whereas I was fine despite having not watched an episode in years. I always find that strange because I'd have no problem with the dialogue if I went to watch again tomorrow

To me it's the second best tv series ever made and in the words of Kevin Keegan that's the most praise you can give anything.

What's your best, The Wire is still my number 1.
#newbridgeornowhere

DuffleKing

The Wire is number one for me. So many people put the Sopranos as their favourite but it just never made that impact on me - wouldn't have it in my top 10.

Jeepers Creepers

Quote from: DuffleKing on September 06, 2018, 12:25:24 PM

The Wire is number one for me. So many people put the Sopranos as their favourite but it just never made that impact on me - wouldn't have it in my top 10.

Blasphemy!!

maddog

Think i preferred Gomorrah over the lot. Sopranos was brilliant but ending wasn't great, same with Boardwalk Empire. The Wire i'd need to watch again.

themac_23

the wire, sopranos, breaking bad and the shield are my favourite shows, watched them all twice. After watching them all twice i actually found Breaking Bad the best, on first watch you kinda dismiss Walter White as someone who's soft but then develop a hardened persona, when you watch it the 2nd time you realise hes just a calculated, ruthless guy who knows exactly what hes doing or getting others to do. The wire a close 2nd, best dialogue of ANY tv show when they are talking about how 'The Game' should be like any other industry, and why they shouldn't have to beat someone down for being short etc class.

shark

Quote from: Dinny Breen on September 06, 2018, 10:15:56 AM
Quote from: David McKeown on September 06, 2018, 09:58:35 AM

What's your best, The Wire is still my number 1.

Also.

thewobbler

The Wire.

Watched it all again in HD at Xmas. I've never done that before with a tv programme apart from Band of Brothers but sure it's only one series.

Greatest show ever.

David McKeown

For me it's the West Wing. Just
2022 Allianz League Prediction Competition Winner