FAI...New Manager Hunt continues

Started by Cúig huaire, November 19, 2009, 01:34:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Baile Brigín 2

Quote from: seafoid on September 09, 2018, 02:54:14 PM
Quote from: Billys Boots on September 09, 2018, 02:42:59 PM
Quote from: Shamrock Shore on September 09, 2018, 01:05:58 PM
So......let's get this straight, in summary

It's the GAA's fault that the Irish soccer team is shite?

It's an interesting topic for discussion, though.  The argument I have heard, but not participated in, due to a lack of definitive knowledge, is that Ireland's poor showing in all international sports (though that is somewhat of a stretch, let's keep it to athletic pursuits), is due to an obsession with a national sport, at the expense of international sports.  There is somewhat of a logic to this, we can't be good at everything/anything, if (some of) our best sports people are not playing international sports.  People point to the achievements of say, Denmark and New Zealand, internationally, as comparators.  It came up again in the performance of Croatia at the recent World Cup.  From my own personal perspective, I find it difficult to understand why some gaelic football players don't try to earn a living playing association football, and represent their country.  I mean, for an international standard athlete, there can't be much satisfaction at only being able to test yourself against the best in the parish/county/country, can there? 

I get all the stuff about representing your parish/club/community.  Let's not do that again.
Croatia is a bit of an outlier.

I think the FAI is crap. 
They never built their own stadium. They still depend on the GAA every so often. They missed the boat on youth development. The League of Oireland is a bit of a mess.

And then Irish sports training is a long way from world class bar maybe Skib rowing club and certain boxing clubs
This might be fair comment in the 90's, but bears no resemblance to soccer today.

Boycey

JPGJOHNNYG

Quote from: Boycey on September 10, 2018, 05:44:36 PM
Is this audio Stephen Ward then or what?

https://youtu.be/00STt2qwpiE

Heard it earlier. If there is any truth in it at all then Roy Keane needs to get to f#ck. He seriously has some sort of genuine problem and cant interact with other people properly. Morale cant be too good with the lads lol

Boycey

Is it confirmed as Ward though, strange thing for a player to release unless he set up by a journo or something?

mrdeeds

Quote from: Boycey on September 10, 2018, 07:05:37 PM
Is it confirmed as Ward though, strange thing for a player to release unless he set up by a journo or something?

I heard from a good source it's him and genuine. It's a leaked WattsApp voice message. Martin O Neill has argued against Stephen Wards claims so further gives it authenticity. Keane needs to go. That is so old school. Of all lads to be criticising someone for missing internationals because of injuries. Keane also complained that Given had too many caps. Talk about a hypocrite. If O Neill stands over Keane he needs to get the P45 too.

Boycey

How does someone arguing against the claims make them more authentic  :)

mrdeeds

Quote from: Boycey on September 10, 2018, 07:24:47 PM

Well instead of saying that's not Stephen he said Stephen wasn't there in May.

SHEEDY

o'neill basically confirmed it was steven ward on the audio. saying steven wasnt there when it happened and that wasnt roy's view of events.
nil satis nisi optimum

Main Street

Quote from: mrdeeds on September 10, 2018, 07:27:29 PM
Quote from: Boycey on September 10, 2018, 07:24:47 PM

Well instead of saying that's not Stephen he said Stephen wasn't there in May.
O'Neill was not a direct witness either. Whilst he claimed Roy had a different version of what transpired betwen Keane, Walters and Harry, nevertheless he then went on at length in a  staunch defence of the use of  what he called industrial language by managers in abusing players and that players should get over being called such things as a fcking cnt etc.

According to Martin, the abuse didn't happen but it did at the same time.

lurganblue

Quote from: Boycey on September 10, 2018, 05:44:36 PM
Is this audio Stephen Ward then or what?

https://youtu.be/00STt2qwpiE

I am def no Keane supporter and never would have had him involved in the first place, but that audio only gives one side of the story. Did Keane go off in a rant for no reason/unjustifiably or have those players been acting the ballix? 

trailer

Interesting that Mick McCarthy has said very little since Siapan yet he's becoming more and more believable.

BennyCake

Quote from: trailer on September 11, 2018, 10:01:57 AM
Interesting that Mick McCarthy has said very little since Siapan yet he's becoming more and more believable.

There was blame on both sides in Saipan.

Milltown Row2

I think McCarthy said/done enough at Siapan
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

BennyCake

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on September 11, 2018, 01:13:15 PM

I think McCarthy said/done enough at Siapan

Maybe so, but the ineptitude of the cowboys in the FAI played a big part in what happened there.

Dinny Breen

Sack O'Neill and Keane.

Hire a young and enthusiastic manager. Save yourself €1m a year.

Take that €1m and invest in the League of Ireland.

In fact ask the government if we the FAI commit €2m a year to infrastructure improvements will you match it? 10 years and €40m will really improve infrastructure and the match day experience and would go a long way to provide a sustainable league of Ireland competition.
#newbridgeornowhere