The IRISH RUGBY thread

Started by Donnellys Hollow, October 27, 2009, 05:26:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bord na Mona man

Quote from: Champion The Wonder Horse on March 09, 2024, 08:59:41 PMBetter team won, but why gift possession back to England with 90 seconds left?
I doubt Ireland had enough power and energy to ruck and recycle it in their own 22 for 90 seconds. England had already been bossing them for a while physically.

Truthsayer

Quote from: Bord na Mona man on March 09, 2024, 09:16:17 PM
Quote from: Champion The Wonder Horse on March 09, 2024, 08:59:41 PMBetter team won, but why gift possession back to England with 90 seconds left?
I doubt Ireland had enough power and energy to ruck and recycle it in their own 22 for 90 seconds. England had already been bossing them for a while physically.

Wouldn't be a ruck, would be a maul with ball in hand... is a difference. Bad decision

Wildweasel74

Piss easy to do for 90 seconds, Munster been doing it for years

galwayman

My thoughts were the same at the time.
Ireland usually keep the ball much better than they did today. Albeit they are not usually dominated physically to the extent they were today either.
But it was asking for trouble giving possession back to England given how physically dominant they were - conceding a penalty was always a big possibility and it came to pass.
England were the better side on the day

screenexile

Quote from: Wildweasel74 on March 09, 2024, 10:32:22 PMPiss easy to do for 90 seconds, Munster been doing it for years

Piss easy is an over simplification!

It's difficult to keep that ball for 90 seconds in your own half when the other team are in the ascendancy. Having said that the call should have been to hold on to it. Who was Captain at that stage?

POMs yellow was sheer stupidity from someone so experience and epitomised the day!

Bord na Mona man

Quote from: Truthsayer on March 09, 2024, 09:46:09 PM

Wouldn't be a ruck, would be a maul with ball in hand... is a difference. Bad decision
Mauling is even harder to do for that long. At least in a series rucks you get breathers.

Anyway, once England know you can't or won't kick the ball away, they can push practically everybody up to the gain line.   Chances are Ireland would have lost possession or infringed.

Truthsayer

Quote from: Bord na Mona man on March 09, 2024, 11:15:07 PM

Mauling is even harder to do for that long. At least in a series rucks you get breathers.

Anyway, once England know you can't or won't kick the ball away, they can push practically everybody up to the gain line.   Chances are Ireland would have lost possession or infringed.

The decision led to defeat... anything else is hypothetical tho when he kicked it, I immediately thought, "wat the hell he do that for?!!"

burdizzo

Quote from: Sportacus on March 09, 2024, 08:02:23 PMMissed a couple of conversions, lost a couple of important lineouts and never hit the heights. A recipe for being pipped at the post.

England, I think, missed way more off the tee, no? Also, what's wrong w/ y'r man, Farrell, that he's not playing?

Main Street

Quote from: Truthsayer on March 09, 2024, 11:24:37 PM
Quote from: Bord na Mona man on March 09, 2024, 11:15:07 PM

Anyway, once England know you can't or won't kick the ball away, they can push practically everybody up to the gain line.  Chances are Ireland would have lost possession or infringed.

The decision led to defeat... anything else is hypothetical tho when he kicked it, I immediately thought, "wat the hell he do that for?!!"
I walked out of room saying that little f'ecker is just going to kick away possession and England are  going to lay siege until they score. It was a brainless choice by Connor Murray

Capt Pat

Quote from: burdizzo on March 09, 2024, 11:48:46 PM
Quote from: Sportacus on March 09, 2024, 08:02:23 PMMissed a couple of conversions, lost a couple of important lineouts and never hit the heights. A recipe for being pipped at the post.

England, I think, missed way more off the tee, no? Also, what's wrong w/ y'r man, Farrell, that he's not playing?

Owen Farrell is playing in France now which means England won't pick him.

mrdeeds

burdizzo

Quote from: Capt Pat on March 10, 2024, 12:23:34 AM
Quote from: burdizzo on March 09, 2024, 11:48:46 PM

Owen Farrell is playing in France now which means England won't pick him.

I see. Are they the only ones with such a policy? Ireland used to do it a bit, too, but not when it came to Johnny Sexton?

GaillimhIarthair

Disappointing performance from Ireland but England thoroughly deserved to win that match yesterday.  Ireland did awful well to put themselves into a winning position late on but a couple of poor decisions cost them dearly.  Not sure O'Mahoney is captain material either, doesn't impress in that role at all.

One positive out of it is that a couple of Irish journalists and pundits will be eating large helpings of humble pie this morning.  Their bravado at times would sicken most people. 

Armagh18

Quote from: 6th sam on March 10, 2024, 09:32:16 AMWhilst on one level, I admire how the IRFU have embraced the professional game , let's consider these facts. Our 3 best players weren't good enough to play for NZ . Even rugby aficionados would say the game is boring and difficult to watch, the enjoyment is in having a few beers and cheering on the green jersey. It's a highly dangerous and often cynical game cf targeting Sexton's head.
It's incredibly over hyped in Ireland by Dublin (rugby schooled)media  . Overseas  players with no apparent Irish connection are coming here as a career move and are taking jerseys from potential home grown talent .
We are brilliant at winning stand alone "test matches " many of dubious significance, but when it comes down to the "clutch" in the really big games eg WC or England in Twickers, we fall short. Could this be because most of our players are either overseas mercenaries ( I accept that appears harsh on great characters who have contributed enormously) or private school privileged?

Fair play to the IRFU for making the most of the rules to get a strong team on the field, and hyping us as "the best team in the world" but Rugby clubs are struggling and Irish players aren't developing . It may seem great to be appearing to be at the top table , but in reality we're really only there because we're playing ringers, and we're still only getting the crumbs . Harsh maybe but that's reality.
Yeah at the end of the day its the posh boys sport, nice to see them do well but won't be losing too much sleep over them not. One good thing is that its an actual all ireland team.

gallsman

Quote from: 6th sam on March 10, 2024, 09:32:16 AMCould this be because most of our players are either overseas mercenaries ( I accept that appears harsh on great characters who have contributed enormously) or private school privileged?

No