The OFFICIAL Liverpool FC thread - Arne to Slot right in?

Started by Gabriel_Hurl, February 05, 2009, 03:47:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mrdeeds

Quote from: stiffler on January 14, 2018, 11:28:03 PM
Quote from: quit yo jibbajabba on January 14, 2018, 11:22:28 PM
Hes just been spotted chasing the Man City bus down the M62

;D

Sterling will be having nightmares surely.

City are 15 points clear at top. I'd say he's ok.

blewuporstuffed

Quote from: Armamike on January 14, 2018, 07:05:24 PM
Phil who?  Brilliant attacking and pressing, ripped City apart in bursts.  Remarkable that Liverpool managed to win that with a dodgy defence, keeper and average midfield, although Gini was good.  Just shows how lethal the front 4 (Ox included) were.  Their tenacity and closing down off the ball was top level. That's the way to play City but few teams have an attacking 3 or 4 that can press that well and do that kind of damage.

The defence will be a lot better when VVD gets back.  Hopefully Lovren will be shipped. He was under little pressure today but offered zero resistance when the ball came anywhere near. Poor stuff from him.  Gomez gets cleaned out on those high diagonal balls.  Robertson was brilliant.  It looks like the left back spot is sorted.   Won't be sad to see Can go.
I thought Can was excellent today as well
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

Armamike

Quote from: blewuporstuffed on January 14, 2018, 11:49:49 PM
Phil who?  Brilliant attacking and pressing, ripped City apart in bursts.  Remarkable that Liverpool managed to win that with a dodgy defence, keeper and average midfield, although Gini was good.  Just shows how lethal the front 4 (Ox included) were.  Their tenacity and closing down off the ball was top level. That's the way to play City but few teams have an attacking 3 or 4 that can press that well and do that kind of damage.

The defence will be a lot better when VVD gets back.  Hopefully Lovren will be shipped. He was under little pressure today but offered zero resistance when the ball came anywhere near. Poor stuff from him.  Gomez gets cleaned out on those high diagonal balls.  Robertson was brilliant.  It looks like the left back spot is sorted.   Won't be sad to see Can go.

You're not alone in that but when he gets caught dawdling on the ball once or twice every game that shades my opinion of him.
That's just, like your opinion man.

blewuporstuffed

Quote from: Armamike on January 15, 2018, 12:09:40 AM
Quote from: blewuporstuffed on January 14, 2018, 11:49:49 PM

He can look slow to move the ball on at times, but i think he is constantly improving and is the best option liverpool have in that defensive MF role. Broke up alot of city play yesterday and used it well.

You're not alone in that but when he gets caught dawdling on the ball once or twice every game that shades my opinion of him.
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

Maroon Manc

Liverpool outstanding and 4-1 was probably a fair reflection on the game, I still maintain Stones is no way near the finished player yet and Otamendi will never be a top class defender, he's looked good this season as he'd had no defending to do.

Surely Klopp will be looking to bring in a keeper?

TabClear

Quote from: Maroon Manc on January 15, 2018, 11:13:45 AM
Liverpool outstanding and 4-1 was probably a fair reflection on the game, I still maintain Stones is no way near the finished player yet and Otamendi will never be a top class defender, he's looked good this season as he'd had no defending to do.

Surely Klopp will be looking to bring in a keeper?

Klopp has to bring in a keeper in my view. Defensively I'm happy with VVD and Robertson. If Matip can develop a partnership with VVD that would go a long way to sorting the back four problem, albeit Gomez is too prone to costly errors. I think he needs to be developed into a longterm Centrehalf solution and either Alexander Arnold or Clyne given a sustained run at right back. Not sure what the story is with Clyne but it his absence and lack of comment appears increasingly strange which would make you think the rumours are true and he might never play for Liverpool again.

But there needs to be a solid keeper behind them.  Souness made a (rare) good point yesterday, How often do Liverpool keepers win points for the team by making saves you would not expect them to make? Courtoius and DeGea in particular do it regularly but with  Mignolet all you hope for is no errors which is not good enough for a team that aspires to compete for titles.

Armamike

Liverpool's keepers will not pull the defenders out of a tight spot. If a defender ballses up, like Gomez did yesterday (again), then rest assured it's more or less a goal.  Reina has been the only high quality keeper Liverpool have had since Grobelaar retired back in the early 90s imo.  It's been an achilles heel for too long.

blewuporstuffed

Liverpool have two no.2s competing for the number 1 position at the minute, until this is addressed its hard to see them  winning the major honors

Armamike

Quote from: laoislad on January 15, 2018, 01:19:47 PM
Quote from: blewuporstuffed on January 15, 2018, 01:15:04 PM
Liverpool have two no.2s competing for the number 1 position at the minute, until this is addressed its hard to see them  winning the major honors
Karius isn't even a No.2 imo.
Would love to see Ward get a chance myself.

Ward is a strange one.  He looks the best of the 3 anytime i've seen him.

blewuporstuffed

Quote from: Armamike on January 15, 2018, 01:25:38 PM
Quote from: laoislad on January 15, 2018, 01:19:47 PM
Quote from: blewuporstuffed on January 15, 2018, 01:15:04 PM
Karius isn't even a No.2 imo.
Would love to see Ward get a chance myself.

Ward is a strange one.  He looks the best of the 3 anytime i've seen him.
I haven't seen an awful lot of him, but i would agree.
I would love to see him be given a chance.

AZOffaly

I didn't look, but was it Fowler when he nudged Gary Neville?

Armamike

Quote from: laoislad on January 15, 2018, 01:46:53 PM
Did Firminos goal yesterday remind anyone else of a similar goal Liverpool scored back in the day?

As soon as he scored it I thought of this goal.
From 21 seconds in.
https://youtu.be/izhKzPsJo5g

Nearly identical in the build up, the shoulder and the finish. 

Armamike

Firminho's been another great buy.  Really important player.

Gabriel_Hurl

17 goals and 7 assists this season - proving his worth for sure.

questionable taste in fashion but he can wear whatever he wants as long as he plays like that

Dinny Breen

Enjoyed that game yesterday, highlight though was the collective groan/worried moan when 4 minutes went up on the added time board  ;D
#newbridgeornowhere