Started by Captain Obvious, February 21, 2017, 12:07:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Croí na hÉireann

Quote from: shark on February 23, 2017, 10:36:01 AM
Quote from: Croí na hÉireann on February 23, 2017, 09:46:07 AM
Quote from: twohands!!! on February 22, 2017, 09:55:19 PM
Quote from: Jinxy on February 22, 2017, 09:00:30 PM
We lost to Westmeath ffs.  ::)

Time for Westmeath and East Westmeath to be unsplit ?

It's just Eastmeath. And God no. We have over a hundred years of beating them into the ground to catch up on.

Not a night for football by all accounts last night. Wasn't a whole lot expected off these lads but one thing you're guaranteed with Keane and Wilson over them is pride and passion. They kept going right to the end last night and got their just rewards.

Home game against the Dubs next Wednesday, similar conditions might give us a fighting chance against the pros.

Very little expected for sure. It's hard to imagine any of last night's team playing senior championship this year. Yet they beat a Meath team that had quite a bit expected of them. Another wet day will suit for sure, there is a good level of physicality throughout Westmeath team. Although one of the big men, Finbarr Coyne, got a straight red last night.

Heard it got fairly hairy at the end, all 3 reds deserved shark?
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

DuffleKing

Quote from: on the sideline on February 23, 2017, 12:42:07 AM
Monaghan have lost Barry McGinn for the rest of the year after he did his cruciate against Derry in the Shamrock Cup on Sunday.  That was his third game in three days!!!  He was on the UCD team that played in the Sigerson on Friday and Saturday before lining out for his county on the Sunday.  That is utter madness.  Poor fella.  He was man of the match against Tyrone in the Ulster Final last year.

Did Monaghan really need to play him in a  Shamrock Cup game after he'd already played  games on the two days previous to it? Surely they already knew what he could do from last year.

What in the name of Jesus Christ and all that is holy were the Monaghan u21 management playing at. They have now changed the course of one the of brightest young players in Ulster's career. I hope the young fella can come back stronger than ever but McBride should be shot with a ball of his own dung for even having him at the game to watch ffs.

Jinxy

Quote from: Croí na hÉireann on February 23, 2017, 11:08:11 AM

It's just Eastmeath. And God no. We have over a hundred years of beating them into the ground to catch up on.

Not a night for football by all accounts last night. Wasn't a whole lot expected off these lads but one thing you're guaranteed with Keane and Wilson over them is pride and passion. They kept going right to the end last night and got their just rewards.

Home game against the Dubs next Wednesday, similar conditions might give us a fighting chance against the pros.

Very little expected for sure. It's hard to imagine any of last night's team playing senior championship this year. Yet they beat a Meath team that had quite a bit expected of them. Another wet day will suit for sure, there is a good level of physicality throughout Westmeath team. Although one of the big men, Finbarr Coyne, got a straight red last night.

Typical Westmeath.
Can't win playing football...
If you were any use you'd be playing.

shark

Quote from: Croí na hÉireann on February 23, 2017, 11:08:11 AM

The latter two probably were alright. Conlon's red I didn't see, but it was certainly the turning point of the game.

AZOffaly

Quote from: The Subbie on February 23, 2017, 10:33:09 AM
Quote from: thewobbler on February 23, 2017, 09:31:02 AM
This disregard for player wellbeing is beyond fucked up.

I don't have a clue who is in charge of Monaghan u21s, but I sincerely hope their season ends quickly they never get another job in football.

Part of me wants "state intervention" to stop this shit happening. But really, all it needs is common sense. The thought of 3 hard training sessions in a row would give managers palpitations, but after back-to-back championship games, sure let's play another. Madness. 

I don't have a clue who is in charge of Monaghan u21s, but I sincerely hope their season ends quickly they never get another job in football.

Part of me wants "state intervention" to stop this shit happening. But really, all it needs is common sense. The thought of 3 hard training sessions in a row would give managers palpitations, but after back-to-back championship games, sure let's play another. Madness. 

Correct, beyond senseless, Dinky McBride is the Monaghan U21 manager, from what I read McGinn was brought on as a sub in a game the Monaghan team won pulling up.

It's madness alright but is there actual cause and effect here? Is a cruciate an injury that is caused or exacerbated by over use, or is it one of those things that can happen at any time, and all you are doing by playing more games is giving more opportunity in an odds sense?

Playing 3 days in a row is beyond the pale, but I'm not sure you can blame a cruciate on that. A hamstring, or a muscle injury of some kind, sure, but a structural issue like a cruciate? Maybe some of the guys in that field of work could clarify?

ballinaman

Quote from: AZOffaly on February 23, 2017, 12:22:29 PM
Quote from: The Subbie on February 23, 2017, 10:33:09 AM

Correct, beyond senseless, Dinky McBride is the Monaghan U21 manager, from what I read McGinn was brought on as a sub in a game the Monaghan team won pulling up.

It's madness alright but is there actual cause and effect here? Is a cruciate an injury that is caused or exacerbated by over use, or is it one of those things that can happen at any time, and all you are doing by playing more games is giving more opportunity in an odds sense?

Playing 3 days in a row is beyond the pale, but I'm not sure you can blame a cruciate on that. A hamstring, or a muscle injury of some kind, sure, but a structural issue like a cruciate? Maybe some of the guys in that field of work could clarify?
Simply put his quad/medial hamstrings didn't contract hard enough or fast enough due to fatigue in his muscles. The load definitely would have affected his ability to turn quickly...land safely. Didn't see the incident obviously but that would have been the likely mechanism.

Syferus

Quote from: Jinxy on February 23, 2017, 10:37:51 AM
Quote from: Syferus on February 23, 2017, 12:31:36 AM
Meath beaten by the runners-up for that bit of tin I mentioned..

Meath actually won the only real bit of tin in that competition, Syf.

Looks like the Shield competition was the higher quality one so. Bit like the big teams at senior, the best usually don't start fast..

RedHandTom

Had my head in my hands when I read that McGinn played 3 games in 3 days but that's mild madness when compared to the incompetence of the Monaghan manager putting him on in a Mickey mouse game. Monaghan are supposed to be a very good side but with actions like this by their manager then I wouldn't be wishing them luck. Sooner they're out the better.

Jinxy

Unfortunately, we still have people in charge of teams at a so-called 'elite' level in the GAA who know more about astrophysics than they do about human physiology.
It's all about short-term gain.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Gael85

Quote from: on the sideline on February 23, 2017, 12:42:07 AM
Monaghan have lost Barry McGinn for the rest of the year after he did his cruciate against Derry in the Shamrock Cup on Sunday.  That was his third game in three days!!!  He was on the UCD team that played in the Sigerson on Friday and Saturday before lining out for his county on the Sunday.  That is utter madness.  Poor fella.  He was man of the match against Tyrone in the Ulster Final last year.

Did Monaghan really need to play him in a  Shamrock Cup game after he'd already played  games on the two days previous to it? Surely they already knew what he could do from last year.

Manager should be sacked for that for neglecting player welfare. Total disregard for player having played two tough games on a heavy pitch.

AZOffaly

Quote from: Jinxy on February 23, 2017, 02:17:30 PM
Unfortunately, we still have people in charge of teams at a so-called 'elite' level in the GAA who know more about astrophysics than they do about human physiology.
It's all about short-term gain.

And to be fair to them, look at sites like this and dopes like Joe Brolly who savage people if they don't get results. It's not easy sometimes to sacrifice the short term in favour of the long term. As they say in the NFL, you might be drafting the franchise QB for the next coach.

ck

Predictions:

Connacht: Mayo or Sligo
Ulster: Tyrone or Armagh
Leinster : Kildare or Dublin
Munster Kerry

All - Ireland: Kerry

RedHandTom

Galway, Donegal and Cork could be in the mix too. Monaghan likely contenders in Ulster despite a manager who flogs players!

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: ck on February 23, 2017, 08:12:33 PM
Predictions:

Connacht: Mayo or Sligo
Ulster: Tyrone or Armagh
Leinster : Kildare or Dublin
Munster Kerry

All - Ireland: Kerry

Galway were fairly unlucky to lose to Mayo by a point in the 2014 Connacht minor championship. Were completely in control of the game in the first half. Mayo got a penalty on the stroke of half-time and then Galway's best player, Michael Daly, got a dubious red card early in the second half. I know they really felt they left that one behind them on the day.

http://connachttribune.ie/galway-minor-footballers-agony/

Galway have subsequently won the last 2 Connacht minor titles so that likely rematch with Mayo looks like a humdinger. Sligo I know like the look of their team as well. Have been doing well at schools level in recent years.

Captain Obvious

All Ireland odds

Kerry 11/8                                                      
Dublin 4/1                                                      
Cork 7/1                                                      
Galway 7/1                                                      
Mayo 7/1                                                      
Donegal 8/1                                                      
Kildare 10/1                                                      
Tyrone 10/1                                                      
Armagh 20/1                                                      
Roscommon 20/1