The Official UFC Thread

Started by RONAN, February 05, 2008, 11:01:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Captain Obvious

Yes that's Ronda done with UFC now. She looked out of it after the first few shots to her head. At the end she thought the fight was still on, concussion perhaps.

gawa316

Has she no ability to move her head when there is a fist coming towards it?

That was embarrassing

gallsman

Nunes landed 27 significant strikes in 48 seconds.

Syferus

If Rousey gives up after this she will be followed by this for the rest of her life. It's in her best interest to have the balls to pick up the pieces and start again rather than feck off to Hollywood. The image of an unstoppable badass is already shattered anyways.

Such a difference between how McGregor and Rousey responded to a loss. It's the mark of a real champion how you deal with those moments.

Cunny Funt

Quote from: Syferus on December 31, 2016, 02:44:17 PM
If Rousey gives up after this she will be followed by this for the rest of her life. It's in her best interest to have the balls to pick up the pieces and start again rather than feck off to Hollywood. The image of an unstoppable badass is already shattered anyways.

Such a difference between how McGregor and Rousey responded to a loss. It's the mark of a real champion how you deal with those moments.
That was Rouseys comeback fight to prove she still had it. If McGregor lost in the manner Rousey has the last two fights he too would pack it in. She is done and Hollywood or the WWE ring is the only place for her now.

Syferus

Quote from: Cunny Funt on December 31, 2016, 05:20:59 PM

That was Rouseys comeback fight to prove she still had it. If McGregor lost in the manner Rousey has the last two fights he too would pack it in. She is done and Hollywood or the WWE ring is the only place for her now.

She's 29 ffs, an MMA fighter's peak is usually their early to mid 30s - there's no question it's a mental issue rather than a physical one. By Christ she took so little damage in her previous fights she's probably one of the freshest 29 year-olds the sport has ever seen. This isn't a shot fighter going on too long. I'd lose a lot of respect for her if she packs it in because of a couple setbacks. She bought into her own hype and hasn't been able to square away losing the previous fight with that image.

As Rocky said, it's not about how hard you hit, it's about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward that counts..

Cunny Funt

Quote from: Syferus on December 31, 2016, 05:33:50 PM

She's 29 ffs, an MMA fighter's peak is usually their early to mid 30s - there's no question it's a mental issue rather than a physical one. By Christ she took so little damage in her previous fights she's probably one of the freshest 29 year-olds the sport has ever seen. This isn't a shot fighter going on too long. I'd lose a lot of respect for her if she packs it in because of a couple setbacks. She bought into her own hype and hasn't been able to square away losing the previous fight with that image.

As Rocky said, it's not about how hard you hit, it's about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward that counts..

Rocky said hmm in real life fighters peak or are finished at different ages. Mike Tyson for example was done by 25 but he carried on in the hope he would rediscover his old form.

Syferus

Quote from: Cunny Funt on December 31, 2016, 06:00:33 PM
Quote from: Syferus on December 31, 2016, 05:33:50 PM

Rocky said hmm in real life fighters peak or are finished at different ages. Mike Tyson for example was done by 25 but he carried on in the hope he would rediscover his old form.

MMA fighters skew older than boxers, who themselves tend to skew older than they did in years previous. You don't turn into a shot fighter overnight and it's clearly in Rousey's head and not her body. Tyson also spent a few years doing porridge at that time it should be remembered..

Medic

All Things Dr. Karl Raymond Marx Kennedy  - https://allthingsdockarlkennedy-blog.tumblr.com/

The Iceman

Thought TJ looked solid against Linker who was just too small for him. I can't like TJ for everything that transpired with Team Alpha Male and I also don't like that he is a copycat fighter.  He learned Cruz' style to help Uriah and J Benavidez fight Cruz and then kept it because it was effective.
I was completely wrong about the Cruz fight. Cody was extremely sharp and showcase some skills we've not seen to date. Was he holding back or did he just rise to the occasion who knows? I think Cruz looked a little slower than normal - he certainly didn't fight a smart fight and got sucked in to the emotion of it all - maybe he wanted to brawl some more and prove he could but he came up short.

Rhonda, Rhonda, Rhonda, she is mentally damaged and her coach has a lot to answer for. She is so stubborn and should have left that camp a long time ago and spent a year working on striking with someone who actually knows what they are doing... very sad for her
I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

Smokin Joe

I seen a number of people referring to Rhonda being mentally damaged.  But how did that happen?
Surely one defeat against Holly didn't kill her?

Smokin Joe

BT Sport showed every 2016 numbered UFC during the Holidays.  I recorded and watched all of them over the last week or so.  Having just got into watching (and enjoying) UFC recently it was great to be able to watch the events without knowing the results.

I couldn't believe that Nunes was underdog when she won the title earlier this year.  I had seen her previous fight and she destroyed her opponent.  And then last week, Nunes was again the underdog against Rhonda.

Also, having seen the way that Stiope beat Arlovski in January I was surprised to see that Werdum was favourite in their title bout.

There definitely seems to be a bias towards the experienced fighters when they fight up and coming contenders.  Or maybe that was just hindsight bias from a small sample.

Looking forward; I'd expect n'gannou to beat Arlovski later this month.  Will be interesting to see who the favourite is for that fight.

The Iceman

Quote from: Smokin Joe on January 03, 2017, 05:33:43 PM
I seen a number of people referring to Rhonda being mentally damaged.  But how did that happen?
She was built up and built up by the UFC, the media, the talk show hosts, the acting opportunities, the WWE appearances and then when she fell everyone (or nearly everyone) turned on her. She legitimately was suicidal and i don't think she properly recovered from the trauma of the rejection.  One good punch in the teeth and it all came back again.
I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

DennistheMenace

Quote from: The Iceman on January 03, 2017, 06:38:53 PM
Quote from: Smokin Joe on January 03, 2017, 05:33:43 PM
She was built up and built up by the UFC, the media, the talk show hosts, the acting opportunities, the WWE appearances and then when she fell everyone (or nearly everyone) turned on her. She legitimately was suicidal and i don't think she properly recovered from the trauma of the rejection.  One good punch in the teeth and it all came back again.

I don't think she helped herself with the media blackout and general attitude in the aftermath of Holm fight and lead up to Nunes defeat. Too many people were putting emphasis on her superb physique but mentally she was a beaten docket, not to mention being absoluted stunned within 10 seconds, it wasn't even a fight.

Smokin Joe

Yair Rodriguez looked pretty impressive last night.  BJ Penn was clearly outmatched as he had no answer to Yair's incredible kicking game.