The Official UFC Thread

Started by RONAN, February 05, 2008, 11:01:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

haranguerer

I assumed it was agreed that he'd get his chance to hold both at same time, but after that would have to vacate - thats the headline anyway, that he held 2 weights at same time. Doesn't really matter that he's had to vacate one now, does it?

gallsman

The UFC have said he "relinquished" the belt. I doubt that given his rhetoric about them needing an army to take it off him.

What's happened is that have an absolute calamity waiting for them in two weeks time at 206 and have decided they need a title fight to headline it. So of course they've done the logical thing and stripped McGregor, promoted Aldo to champion and planned an interim title fight (rather than a contender's fight) between Holloway and Pettis. Daft.

Hound

I'd say the plan was to wait to vacate until McGregor's next fight was announced (which isn't going to be at 145).
But Cormier pulling out of 206 has meant they need a title fight to headline (presumably too late to find an alternative for Johnson to fight for an interim belt), hence the belt gymnastics at 145.

gallsman

Quote from: Hound on November 28, 2016, 02:45:10 PM
I'd say the plan was to wait to vacate until McGregor's next fight was announced (which isn't going to be at 145).
But Cormier pulling out of 206 has meant they need a title fight to headline (presumably too late to find an alternative for Johnson to fight for an interim belt), hence the belt gymnastics at 145.

There was talk of Mousasi vs Johnson.

I understand the logic, I just think it's ridiculous. To save a PPV you put in place an interim title fight for a division where there's no need for an interim belt (if you can ever accept the need for an interim belt)?!

Aldo beat Edgar for the interim belt at 200 because of McGregor's dicking outside the division. McGregor has now either relinquished or been stripped so Aldo is champion. End of story. Why make this an interim title fight? Purely to have a "title" fight as the headliner on a numbered ppv? If so, that's completely ridiculous.

muppet

Quote from: gallsman on November 28, 2016, 03:46:16 PM
Quote from: Hound on November 28, 2016, 02:45:10 PM

There was talk of Mousasi vs Johnson.

I understand the logic, I just think it's ridiculous. To save a PPV you put in place an interim title fight for a division where there's no need for an interim belt (if you can ever accept the need for an interim belt)?!

Aldo beat Edgar for the interim belt at 200 because of McGregor's dicking outside the division. McGregor has now either relinquished or been stripped so Aldo is champion. End of story. Why make this an interim title fight? Purely to have a "title" fight as the headliner on a numbered ppv? If so, that's completely ridiculous.

What is an interim belt? Is it like bailing twine?

MWWSI 2017

screenexile

I don't see what the big deal is he's clearly not going to fight at 145 again so he should no longer be allowed to be the Champion at that weight.

What's the standard for making someone vacate a belt? Fury got a year and McGregor just a bit less which is fair enough I reckon.

gallsman

Quote from: screenexile on November 29, 2016, 03:22:53 PM
I don't see what the big deal is he's clearly not going to fight at 145 again so he should no longer be allowed to be the Champion at that weight.

What's the standard for making someone vacate a belt? Fury got a year and McGregor just a bit less which is fair enough I reckon.

Anyone with a bit of sense and objectivity won't object to them stripping McGregor of the 145lb belt. It's the fact that they've somehow felt the need to continue with a champion (Aldo) and have an interim champion (the winner of Holloway-Pettis) that is absolutely daft.

The Iceman

Pettis had a great fight last time out against Oliveira but had a few stinkers before then and didn't perform to his abilities. I think this is a great fight if Pettis shows up or a one sided beat down if he doesn't and Max shines.
The whole interim thing is a mess but CMG didn't defend in 12 months or so.  He has some grounds for complaint as GSP and Cain and Aldo I think all were out for longer periods of time and it's not as if the UFC was losing money on Mcgregor... either way the 155 is a tougher division for him but he'll always have the insurance cover of going back to 145 and beating anyone there...
I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

gallsman

The difference is those three were out injured (at least allegedly) and didn't fight. McGregor has fought three times (above featherweight) since he became champion and not defended the belt.

Gabriel_Hurl

Sp Pettis has gone and fucked things up by not making weight - he weighed in at 148.

Weirdly, the fight is still on - if Holloway wins - he wins the interim belt although Pettis won't if he wins. He also has to pay 20% of his prize money to Holloway.

The Iceman

he looked horrible at the weigins for his last fight - though in fairness CMG looks desperate at 145 weighin  -tough drop for anyone
I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

screenexile

Anyone see the video of McGregor's boxing sparring session last week??

Best he stays in the Octagon I think!!

gallsman

Pettis isn't a 145er at all. He only moved down because he took a pasting in his last three lightweight fights.

Smokin Joe

BT Sport had about 7 hours of UFC on Saturday night.

I've only started watching UFC recently, but the French light heavyweight, Francis N'gannou who fought at UFC Albany looked pretty special.

The Gs Man

Some great fights at the weekend there on the main card.

Fight of the year contender with Swanson vs Choi.

Cerrone with a great knockout too and Holloway vs Pettis wasn't bad either.

Prelims decent enugh as well.
Keep 'er lit