Sunday World hanging front page

Started by longrunsthefox, November 01, 2009, 02:36:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Goldengreen

Seen the pic too and read the artical as I too thought it was a joke too to start with. But what I find strange is that it was reported he had his hands tied behind his back, so I would find it strange he killed himself, sounds like murder.

longrunsthefox

Quote from: Hereiam on November 01, 2009, 08:07:00 PM
Jesus lads what is up with all of ye today. I tell u what I have seen worst pictures in the papers. For gods sake the amount of graphic pictures that have appeared over the course of the war with the brits on this island is nothing compared to that. Its not a nice thing to see and I feel sorry for the poor fella but this man could have went to the middle of a woods or whatever and hung himself there. Instead he went to a bridge over a busy road so he surly knew it would make headline news for whatever reason. On another note if it comes out in the papers that this man was a drug dealer or a member of the UVF will there still be the same outrage from this board.

Bullshit post of 2009... this man is gone. What about his friends and family who have to look at this? I wonder if it was one of your relatives would you be as supportive of the Sunday Turd. As well do people really need to see that image on the shelves of their local shops?

mournerambler

Quote from: Hereiam on November 01, 2009, 08:07:00 PM
Jesus lads what is up with all of ye today. I tell u what I have seen worst pictures in the papers. For gods sake the amount of graphic pictures that have appeared over the course of the war with the brits on this island is nothing compared to that. Its not a nice thing to see and I feel sorry for the poor fella but this man could have went to the middle of a woods or whatever and hung himself there. Instead he went to a bridge over a busy road so he surly knew it would make headline news for whatever reason. On another note if it comes out in the papers that this man was a drug dealer or a member of the UVF will there still be the same outrage from this board.

You really didn't give much thought to your post or this poor man's family Hereiam.
With a bit of luck you'll get shown the same red card from the mods on this board that Jim McDowell will hopefully get from Independant News & Media Group very soon, I'm totally disgusted by this attempt to sell a so called newspaper.

Windmill abu

While Jim McDowell may believe there is no such thing as bad publicity and that this photograph takes the Sunday World into the spotlight. Will some of the columnists who regularly contribute (sometimes on a weekly basis) to this newspaper now disassociate themselves from it, or will the attraction of the regular pay cheque and the desire to stay in the media spotlight keep them on board?
Never underestimate the power of complaining

Hereiam

Not defending the sunday world one bit but that my views on the subject. End off.

longrunsthefox

Quote from: Windmill abu on November 02, 2009, 12:19:39 AM
While Jim McDowell may believe there is no such thing as bad publicity and that this photograph takes the Sunday World into the spotlight. Will some of the columnists who regularly contribute (sometimes on a weekly basis) to this newspaper now disassociate themselves from it, or will the attraction of the regular pay cheque and the desire to stay in the media spotlight keep them on board?

Good point Windmill... over to you Fr Brian Darcy...

longrunsthefox

Quote from: Hereiam on November 02, 2009, 12:24:10 AM
Not defending the sunday world one bit but that my views on the subject. End off.

Actually you were defending the Sunday World a big bit, but good to see that is your last comment on the matter  :o 

Windmill abu

QuoteWhile Jim McDowell may believe there is no such thing as bad publicity and that this photograph takes the Sunday World into the spotlight. Will some of the columnists who regularly contribute (sometimes on a weekly basis) to this newspaper now disassociate themselves from it, or will the attraction of the regular pay cheque and the desire to stay in the media spotlight keep them on board?

Good point Windmill... over to you Fr Brian Darcy...

I am not willing to put names  to these "Sunday World columnists" as I believe they should have the opportunity to step away from this publication because of their conscience.

And not hide behind their 9 all stars.

Windmill abu

QuoteAnd not hide behind their 9 all stars.

The more I think about it, I should probably have put smiley faces before and after the above quote to avoid causing distress to anyone who may have been identified by my post

ziggysego

Point 5 of the PCC code of practice on 'Intrusion into grief or shock'
"*ii) When reporting suicide, care should be taken to avoid excessive detail about the method used."
Testing Accessibility

Hurler on the Bitch

Quote from: Hereiam on November 02, 2009, 12:24:10 AM
Still sucks mate! any chance of a Mea Culpa? Probably not ...

leenie

i think it is truly disgusting and i can only imagine the amount of young people/children that would have seen it either in their own houses or in shops...

I'm trying to decide on a really meaningful message..

the waffler

Quote from: Goldengreen on November 01, 2009, 11:15:04 PM
Seen the pic too and read the article as I too thought it was a joke too to start with. But what I find strange is that it was reported he had his hands tied behind his back, so I would find it strange he killed himself, sounds like murder

seen the pick myself deff looked like his hands were tied,probably why he was left hanging so long by the cops,have a feeling we might be hearing more on this btw i know of one guy that drove passed it and didn't even notice him

Sandino

Ziggy, I think that normally means that media outlets are not supposed to name the exact manner of death, the paper seems to have gone well beyond that in this case. However I think I have read somewhere that the only complaint that can cause a real problem for the Newspaper is in fact a complaint from the family of the bereaved. I know that they must be going though a very traumatic time at present but I sure hope that they can find the strength to make that formal complaint.

Also on the issue of the reporting of deaths during the Troubles, it was an abnormal time. As a society we were more used to the images and the aftermath of sudden death. At present we are striving to obtain normality and the use of this argument as an excuse to print this image is sad. What ever one thinks about the printing of certain images lets be clear, this image was used to try to sell newspapers and I find that sickening and intrusive.

BTW, I wonder what will Fr. Brian have to say, he comments on lots of other issues lets hear him on this one!
"You can go proudly. You are history. You are legend''

angermanagement

Quote from: leenie on November 02, 2009, 11:28:34 PM

i think it is truly disgusting and i can only imagine the amount of young people/children that would have seen it either in their own houses or in shops...

I agree that the Sunday World should never have printed the photo its sums up the paper for what it is, gutter press.

But the only good thing to come out of this is that the problem of suicide is been talked about in the media, the pub, work etc and if it enourages the goverment and the local authorities to throw more resources at the mater the better.