Clare v Galway - Saturday 11th July 2009

Started by Stay goalside of your man, June 22, 2009, 01:53:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stay goalside of your man

With what happened with these two sides two years ago I'm really looking forward to this game.

Does anybody know if there are any rules against marking the pitch narrower as what happened last time in Ennis?

As it went on before I'm guessing that as long as the pitch is within certain parameters it's allowed.

GalwayBayBoy

Hopefully the Galway players will be told whether they are playing or not earlier than one minute before the throw in this time.

In 2007 there was one team named in the programme, a diferent team announced over the tannoy system and a different team again actually lining out.

GaillimhIarthair

Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on June 22, 2009, 01:56:55 PM
Hopefully the Galway players will be told whether they are playing or not earlier than one minute before the throw in this time.

In 2007 there was one team named in the programme, a diferent team announced over the tannoy system and a different team again actually lining out.
That was unbelieveable in fairness GBB.  Apparently the starting team was only announced to the players in a huddle in the middle of the pitch 10 minutes before throw in!!!  What the fcuk was Ger Lock thinking, or not thinking for that matter!  I expect things will be a little different this time round and hopefully the result also.

INDIANA

Terrible draw for Galway. Clare are a really awkward side to play against. Massive in terms of size and have more hurling than people think they do. A real banana skin. Galway will have to beef up size wise for this game., Ennis is not a big pitch and won't suit some of their forwards.

On looking back at that game now Ger Loughnane wanted to let Clare win.
Maybe not consciously, but some of the things he said and did where not the behavior of a manger who had his whole heart behind the team.

I would not say its a terrible draw for Galway, we have Joe now in FF so at least he wont be bossed around.
Clare will drag us down to there level but I think we can beat them this time around.

GalwayBayBoy

I hate going to Cusack Park as it is a kip of a ground for a start plus it's so tight matches can easily descend into a dogfight there. If we had Clare at home in Pearse I'd be fairly confident of winning the game but down in Ennis I expect it will be a tight dogged game. We lost there in 2007 although we did win down there in 2004 I think. Clare didn't do too badly against Tipp yesterday but their full-back line looked fairly dodgy at times. Granted we didn't have Joe Canning in 2007 but some of the other forwards need to start contributing more otherwise defenders will just start crowding Joe out with numbers.

INDIANA

Quote from: Stay goalside of your man on June 22, 2009, 02:33:46 PM
On looking back at that game now Ger Loughnane wanted to let Clare win.
Maybe not consciously, but some of the things he said and did where not the behavior of a manger who had his whole heart behind the team.

I would not say its a terrible draw for Galway, we have Joe now in FF so at least he wont be bossed around.
Clare will drag us down to there level but I think we can beat them this time around.

Don't go saying "dragging down to their level" - could live to regret it. Plenty of hurling in that Clare team . don't know what they feed them on but the size of them as well. On a tight pitch thats going to be a dogfight.

Premier Emperor

Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on June 22, 2009, 03:11:15 PM
I hate going to Cusack Park as it is a kip of a ground for a start plus it's so tight matches can easily descend into a dogfight there.
Damn right it is a kip. The worst ground in Munster by far.
Clare blew the property boom by selling it when they could.

I think Clare will yet again beat a Galway team that think they are going well.
Remember 2002 as well?

AZOffaly

This is where the proof of Galway's Leinster excursion pudding will be eaten. Most of those other games against Clare, and even Cork last year, Galway were coming in thinking they were going well, but not after being seriously extended, or playing high intensity games. A lot of times Galway's first 'high intensity' game turned out to be their last, as they didn't have the luxury of losing their first 'big' game. They'd play Antrim, or Laois, and win by a wide margin, before being thrown to the wolves of Clare, Kilkenny, Cork or whomever. This year they've had their big game defeat, and they are still there. So if they can regroup, take it on a notch, and bring that to Ennis, they'll beat a dogged and game, but limited, Clare side.

Tipperary showed alarming 'niceness' in taking the headlock off Clare, and nearly paid for it. I don't think Galway would ease up if they get a proper run on you.

A lot will depend on the ref the next day.
If he lets things go Clare will have a great advantage, but I still think we will win this one.

seafoid

a couple of wins in tight matches against half decent opposition would bring Galway on a long way. the more matches, the better.  The county has underperformed for most of this decade apart from 2 matches in 2001 and 2005. The franchise is worth a lot if the players give it bhfaca tu. I would be very disappointed if they lost to Clare. It wouldn't be as desperate as nominating Sammy Wilson minister for finance but still..

Does anybody know what time this match is on at?

I checked gaa.ie there and its still TBD.

Roashter

confirmed for 7:00pm this Saturday in the spacious Cusack Park.

It's live on RTE 2 also

Reillers

Clare are akward, always has been. By right Galway should win, same way Tipp should have beaten Clare well. But Clare being Clare aren't the easiest to get past. Personally, if Galway win they'll have to play Cork. Which I don't really want. They'll be looking for revenge from last seasons defeat.

Bud Wiser

Good man Reillers, when I saw your name on the thread I clicked on to see how you would turn it into a Cork Strikers thread and sure enough you want to talk about Cork playing Galway.  Can you just once try and leave out the pro's, the troublemakers, the GPA merchents and talk about the game in hand because by the time it comes around to playing Cork they will probably be gone off on another sulk, what with the downturn in the economy and all that it must be hard for them right now.
" Laois ? You can't drink pints of Guinness and talk sh*te in a pub, and play football the next day"