2022 National Football League

Started by The PRO, January 26, 2022, 10:02:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

town1980

im judging billy on his loyalty to Ross which is shocking for any panel member to see him coming on at nearly 40 years of age i do know alot already cant wait for it to be over ,,is beano gone ??
regarding the football the scores the last two days have being very low now we are conceeding very little also which is great so he has to try find that balance and look we nearly won the game im just shocked at how management still are picking a guy thtas nearly 40 and we all can see his time in the blue and white and let me say im a massive fan down through the years but jays hand the batton over

Giovanni

Is there a particular age that you think should be the cut-off point for a player's involvement with the county team? A mandatory retirement age?

Ross has spent 20 years looking after his health and fitness at elite levels, just in order to represent Laois (and with very little gain).

I don't think anyone could deny that he is still in the top 10 best forwards in the county.

I would normally try to ignore these nonsensical posts but Ross deserves a little more respect for what he has given to Laois and what he is continuing to give.

BallyroanAbu

Quote from: Giovanni on March 01, 2022, 11:56:12 AM
Is there a particular age that you think should be the cut-off point for a player's involvement with the county team? A mandatory retirement age?

Ross has spent 20 years looking after his health and fitness at elite levels, just in order to represent Laois (and with very little gain).

I don't think anyone could deny that he is still in the top 10 best forwards in the county.

I would normally try to ignore these nonsensical posts but Ross deserves a little more respect for what he has given to Laois and what he is continuing to give.

Absolute BS but you keep telling yourself this, his been about 50% the player he was for about 5-6 years maybe longer.  Pace is gone that's life, not big enough to throw himself about.  Sick of stupid argument he was great for years thus he can't be criticised and should remain on the panel.  His not up to it, nor is there anything to be gained by his continual involvement as a player.  I have no issue with him being part of the management as he has a lot to offer that way. 

You can think Ross is a legend but also think it's over.  I don't see any conflict with this thinking.

town1980

what are you on about im one of the lads bigest fans the best forward EVER laois has produced ,,so dont go down that route please and good lord open your eyes a bit the man is just 40 and well past it for intercounty the dog on the street knows that the panel players are bemused by it its totally not his fault if he has the desire to train but for gods sake Billy and Chris should know this,,not for one second am i giving out about Ross but there is clueless people like yourself who want the young lads to step up too and when they see him comming on it does effect there confidence and ability and there confidence in there manager to trust the younger lads ,,,im a fan of Billy by the way i just dont agree on this point thats all 

Giovanni

Quote from: BallyroanAbu on March 01, 2022, 12:46:05 PM
Quote from: Giovanni on March 01, 2022, 11:56:12 AM

Absolute BS but you keep telling yourself this, his been about 50% the player he was for about 5-6 years maybe longer.  Pace is gone that's life, not big enough to throw himself about.  Sick of stupid argument he was great for years thus he can't be criticised and should remain on the panel.  His not up to it, nor is there anything to be gained by his continual involvement as a player.  I have no issue with him being part of the management as he has a lot to offer that way. 

You can think Ross is a legend but also think it's over.  I don't see any conflict with this thinking.

The issue isn't whether he is still the player he was. The issue is whether there are 10 forwards in the county that are better than him. I would be interested in your opinion about that.

What is BS is people coming on here with statements that particular players are too old (or, God forbid, too small) without any reference to the fact that we don't have other players who are willing or able to take the place of the older guys.

Giovanni

Quote from: town1980 on March 01, 2022, 12:53:49 PM
what are you on about im one of the lads bigest fans the best forward EVER laois has produced ,,so dont go down that route please and good lord open your eyes a bit the man is just 40 and well past it for intercounty the dog on the street knows that the panel players are bemused by it its totally not his fault if he has the desire to train but for gods sake Billy and Chris should know this,,not for one second am i giving out about Ross but there is clueless people like yourself who want the young lads to step up too and when they see him comming on it does effect there confidence and ability and there confidence in there manager to trust the younger lads ,,,im a fan of Billy by the way i just dont agree on this point thats all

I would imagine that Billy and Ross could probably do without "fans" like you.

town1980

Laois football will go on and on when you and  I are are gone so that is a silly statement and your silly comment ok ask a number of younger lads are they happy they didn't get on for them few mins ,, I'll say no more and again Ross was the best forward I seen for Laois and I like the way billy is going about his business bar just one hiccup that's all

The PRO

I've seen every game Laois played this year bar the Louth one and I'm 100% sure that most of the other forwards who are competing with Ross for a place in the squad or match day panel are simply not putting their hand up and taking Ross's spot. It's that simple.
Personally, I'm surprised Ross went back for another year but you cannot underestimate his importance around a dressing room. He's always a positive influence.
Also the two Kingstons and Sean Moore are injured. We have plenty of other good young forwards in the county who can't or won't commit to the county panel. So, we need the Ross Munnellys and Mark Timmons of this world.

Laoiseabu

Quote from: The PRO on March 02, 2022, 01:33:20 PM
I've seen every game Laois played this year bar the Louth one and I'm 100% sure that most of the other forwards who are competing with Ross for a place in the squad or match day panel are simply not putting their hand up and taking Ross's spot. It's that simple.
Personally, I'm surprised Ross went back for another year but you cannot underestimate his importance around a dressing room. He's always a positive influence.
Also the two Kingstons and Sean Moore are injured. We have plenty of other good young forwards in the county who can't or won't commit to the county panel. So, we need the Ross Munnellys and Mark Timmons of this world.

Who are all the other good young fowards that won't commit ? We don't exactly have an embarrassment of riches to pick from . The only fowards I can think of that might be worth a place on the panel are Colm Murphy, Diarmuid Whelan and Benny Carroll and even at that they are no better than what's already there when push comes to shove against semi decent inter county sides .
The likes of Michael Keogh , Jack Owens and Evan Lowry have showed flashes of what they can do at club level but inter county Is a completely different animal .
Currently we are dependent on Evan OCarroll to do a lot of the donkey work up front for our Laois senior team and when he's held some of the other fowards around him are just not stepping up and doing enough for my liking .

Spiritof86

Ross Munnelly would be a fantastic addition to the Laois management set-up absolutely no doubt .
He's nothing to prove but as player on the field his best days are gone .

So Yes to answer a previous poster there are 10 or more better forwards in the county but it's hard to justify a 39 year starting a meaningless  challenge match while potential forwards itching to prove a point are sitting in a dugout . How are these guys going to progress otherwise.
Billy stated at the start of his tenure that it was all about giving everyone an opportunity. There's a reason why there's a lack of Representation from Port believe it or not .

Laois Rising

Our three main forwards from the Laois U20 teams that made it to consecutive Leinster finals were Ronan Coffey, Mark Barry and Diarmuid Whelan. You would like to think that those three would be starting to establish themselves on the senior team now that they are hitting 22/23 years of age. Unfortunately, so far only Barry has had any real involvement with the senior set up. Throw in Jake Foster, Colm Murphy and Jack Owens if he could add consistency to his game- all players of huge potential-we are definitely not getting the most out of the young attacking talent that is there within the county. Look at Mayo and how Horan has brought in plenty of youth the last couple of years. Those players through game time, training and sustained S&C and are now in a position where they have developed and can physically compete against the top players and sides.

Giovanni

I would agree that there is some potential in all the lads you mention. But the problem is, as far as I understand it, that most of these lads are not available for selection for whatever reason (travelling, other priorities, etc.).

Ross is available and is obviously doing enough to convince the manager that he can still do the job.

It's up to the likes of the lads you mention to come in and push him out (which, if it happened, would be a positive sign for Laois football). However, the fact is that at this moment in time Ross is still more likely to nick a point or two than at least 3 or 4 of the other forwards that are regularly selected.

Junior Ex Laoistalk

Laois team v Fermanagh on Sat 3.30pm

Matthew Byron

James Kelly, Trevor Collins, Alex Mohan
Sean O'Flynn, John O'Loughlin, Gareth Dillon

James Finn, Kieran Lillis

Brian Byrne, Eoin Lowry, Paddy O'Sullivan
  Mark Barry, Evan O'Carroll, Gary Walsh.

https://www.laoistoday.ie/2022/03/04/one-change-as-laois-team-named-for-fermanagh-clash/

Winners are not those who never fail, but those who never quit!

Spiritof86

Perfect conditions in Enniskillen today . A win today and we are well in contention in the promotion race . Anything else and we are in a relegation battle . Hearing Timmons will involved today at some stage in a more advanced role .

Helix.

Fermanagh GAA have a radio stream on YouTube of the match for anyone trying to access. 1:2 to 4 up. Gary Walsh with the goal.

*As I edit post Fermanagh in for 2 goals. 2:5 to 1:2