leinster club championship

Started by vetoldthe, December 02, 2021, 06:56:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vetoldthe

Having seen St.Lomans a few times they are a very experience side
winning 6 westmeath c/ship in the last 10 years and competing in
the leinster club c/ship as well,they defend in large number and break
very fast they tackle hard as well, O'Toole and Heslin two class forwards
hard to know how this Port team will do playing in there first leinster c/ship.

Laois Rising

St. loman's are probably stronger now than anytime that they were in the last ten years. Outside of Heslin who is a marquee full forward their middle third is dominated with players with senior intercounty experience. If you look at players of the calibre of Flanagan, Regan, McCartan, Dempsey and O'Toole each of them is currently or has been in with Westmeath at some stage recently. This is Portarlington's biggest test and a good barometer of how good the actually are.   

Helix.

Quote from: Laois Rising on December 03, 2021, 11:00:19 AM
St. loman's are probably stronger now than anytime that they were in the last ten years. Outside of Heslin who is a marquee full forward their middle third is dominated with players with senior intercounty experience. If you look at players of the calibre of Flanagan, Regan, McCartan, Dempsey and O'Toole each of them is currently or has been in with Westmeath at some stage recently. This is Portarlington's biggest test and a good barometer of how good the actually are.   

Didn't they not play each other in a challenge match couple of weeks ago with Lomans coming out on top? Open to be corrected here. Would be great to see Port get a game in Croke Park if they get over the line on Sunday.

SCFC

Disappointing result for Park Ratheniska today. I thought they would win that one with the home advantage. Been a great year for them overall though.

town1980

Found out against an organised side and will struggle up senior. But a great year for them but the hard work only starts now

Silkyskillssunshinee

Super win for Port today. I have to say, I fancied St Lomans coming into this despite all the bookies giving Port the edge. Think they had five or six Westmeath county players, with of course John Heslin being the stand out name in the programme.

However, Port showed serious mettle down the stretch when it looked like Lomans were getting on top. Colm Murphy got through a lot of ball inside and he set up a good few scores for the likes of Foster, Ryan, etc

Their full-back line looked very assured, as they have throughout the year. Lomans looked to kick long into Heslin near the end but Cathal Bennett seemed to always come out with the breaking ball and is definitely one for the future from an inter-county perspective.

Hopefully their goalkeeper is fit to play the next day as they will need his composure from kick-outs. I don't see there being any  reason Port can't go and beat Kilmacud Crokes, who looked ordinary enough in their win over a poor Meath outfit. Beating a Dublin side in Croker would be some feat.

clonadmad

Quote from: town1980 on December 04, 2021, 05:10:02 PM
Found out against an organised side and will struggle up senior. But a great year for them but the hard work only starts now

You've an awful bitter side to you when it comes to poor auld Park

Is it down to them pulling all those kids and adult players from the Town?

Brilliant performance from Port

Them scoring 1-05 in the first 7 minutes similar to the County final was a fair burst

Port v Naas in a Leinster final is not beyond the bounds of possibility

vetoldthe

Great game in O'Moore park today
Portarlington to lose their full back just before the game
and their no.4 getting a black card in the first half,
and if that wash't enough to lose their goalkeeper with a leg injury
in the second half and then to go a point behind, but they showed some courage
to come and kick the last 3 points and hold out for a great win
Well done Port .

blueandwhite1

Fair play to Port. Unbelievable mental strength to get over the line.

Made the mistake of listening to it on Midlands radio 3 who don't even pretend to be impartial. Spent more time talking about Gerry Buckley's book about former Westmeath players than they did about the Port performance after the match.

I can't imagine it would make much economic sense but would be great to have a Laois only radio station. Bring back LCR.

The PRO

Quote from: blueandwhite1 on December 06, 2021, 11:12:50 AM
Made the mistake of listening to it on Midlands radio 3 who don't even pretend to be impartial. Spent more time talking about Gerry Buckley's book about former Westmeath players than they did about the Port performance after the match.

I can't imagine it would make much economic sense but would be great to have a Laois only radio station. Bring back LCR.
I had meant to post something similar. I was driving home from the west yesterday and had to listen to it. Jesus, it was like listening to Radio Mullingar. After the final whistle was a disgrace. They ran through how well 7 or 8 Lomans lads had played in defeat and then proceeded to plug some book about Westmeath GAA!

And it's not the first time either. They love Offaly and are mainly a Tullamore based operation.

Laois man

Gerry Russell saying 2mins gone here in O'Moore Park and super fball. They seem to dislike laois bring back Jack Nolan🤣

blueandwhite1

Quote from: The PRO on December 06, 2021, 11:29:48 AM
Quote from: blueandwhite1 on December 06, 2021, 11:12:50 AM

I had meant to post something similar. I was driving home from the west yesterday and had to listen to it. Jesus, it was like listening to Radio Mullingar. After the final whistle was a disgrace. They ran through how well 7 or 8 Lomans lads had played in defeat and then proceeded to plug some book about Westmeath GAA!

And it's not the first time either. They love Offaly and are mainly a Tullamore based operation.

For sure. Offaly, Mullingar and Laois last seems to be their prioritization. I don't ever remember it being any different. Would only listen to it as a last resort but businesses in Laois should never bother advertising with them. 

Zooming around

Quote from: Laois man on December 06, 2021, 11:41:12 AM
Gerry Russell saying 2mins gone here in O'Moore Park and super fball. They seem to dislike laois bring back Jack Nolan🤣

Gerry Russell: "Will it be a red card or a yella card?"

Laois man

SCFC

I believe Oasis were inspired to name their debut album after hearing Gerry's famous commentary. Definitely Maybe.