The Future for Laois Football

Started by Junior Ex Laoistalk, July 05, 2021, 12:26:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Smellyball

Quote from: town1980 on October 10, 2021, 12:14:07 AM
I person was happy with John sugruu and eddie Brennan both who were recent managers but the county chairman though otherwise

True. Kinda surprised when I look back through your posts. You have been extremely bitter towards most people but posted numerous times about being willing to give Sugrue time.
You weren't overly complimentary of the first few games he was in charge..... then you stopped posting for 6 months so dunno how you rated his first championship campaign.

BallyroanAbu

Quote from: Smellyball on October 09, 2021, 07:44:30 PM
If only the world knew that all the oracle's of football reside in the Laois GAA forum, there would never be a mistake made.
For people to post in here that Sheehans appointment is doomed to failure is ridiculous.
He probably wouldn't have been my first choice but I don't claim to to foresee the future and know it won't end well.
Perhaps part of the problem in Laois is all the whingeing and moaning that goes on in the background. An appointment has been made, if the county got behind the team the chances of success may improve.
For those claiming this is an awful appointment - out of interest, who was the last manager you were happy with when they were announced?

Happy to oracle it, complete shit show but the definition of madness is to repeat the same thing and expect different results.  We can do better,  Jesus they have dragged us to a point where we think we deserve it. 

Smellyball

The problem though is how do you measure his success/failure?
Look through the history of this board for the last 5 years, it has been a constant barrage of criticism of the CB, every other manager (except Sugrue), criticism that Laois are miles behind in S&C compared to other counties, no talent coming through(except for a few kind words for U20 team that reached Leinster final and got hammered).
Listening to posts here Laois are minimum 10 years away from success if the work needs to start at U14, so how exactly does Sheehan succeed?

BallyroanAbu

Firstly it's what Sheehan represents,  basically the short - term win attitude that Laois GAA are constantly at.  What can Sheehan do ? Very little and probably will be a disaster but because nobody else wants him, he is willing to gamble with Laois.  I guessed Burke won' touch it because what had he to gain,  expectations are too high and reality is far worse.   For Sheehan to be a success I presume it's promotion to division 2 or remaining in Division 3.  That means the retention of players who need to go,  this has been going on in a roundabout way for years.  Say Timmons and Ross to name two, need to go and their replacements edged in however because they are the best in the immediate term we will keep going with them.  But already they are not good enough (because of age) thus we must sink further. 

S & C is a snake oil game, you never hear top Soccer Teams or Rugby Teams talk of S &C because it's a basic requirement,  it's like fitness you must have it.  All it guarantees you is that your players are fit to take the field it won't win you anything.   Coaching wins games look at Tyrone and Mayo and the ball skills of the Defenders taking scores.  This is where the best counties are going they are improving the skills of their top players.  Everyone knows how hard it is to score off the outside of the boot.  Tyrone are doing it at will,  this means to me that they must be doing monumental work on skills.   

In Laois as far as I have witnessed the coaching is so far behind,  Players don't even realise that they have to work off the Ball.  This is even going on at Senior where players stop dead once they lose the ball if anyone wants to witness what top level players do without the Ball watch Mo Salah unbelivable work off the ball and ready to go immediately.  I think theirs a clip of Paul Mannion at it on YouTube.

I have never subscribed to the we don't have the talent maybe not to win the All-Ireland but every so often we should be capable of winning a Leinster Underage.   But the underage improvement must come with a culture shift.  Back in the day the minors won and they got the girls.  I know this sounds stupid but nowadays we do nothing and I doubt the girls even know who the Minors are  :)   You know if we are to be successful the players need to get a certain amount of recognition and kudos which makes them drive on even harder.  We need to get back been successful to make children & their parents need to be part of Laois GAA.  Leinster Rugby have done this when for years Munster had the jump on them.

High Fielder

An excellent post BA. I would question whether the talent is there with our Seniors, but I'd be equally sceptical about our level of coaching. One is married to the other, so I agree with you, our focus needs to be on improving the culture at underage

town1980

Ballybrittas Boy

Quote from: BallyroanAbu on October 10, 2021, 10:01:03 AM
S & C is a snake oil game, you never hear top Soccer Teams or Rugby Teams talk of S &C
No, you never hear strength and conditioning mentioned in rugby circles. Holy Jaysus...

BallyroanAbu

More like you hear GAA Teams talking about S & C Coaches with a Rugby Background.  .

Spiritof86

Chris Conway going in with Sheehan as coach . Can only seen that as a positive move .

BallyroanAbu

And Beano,  to be honest I would be abit wary of the whole thing.  Quite an inexperienced management going to a team with a lot of problems and there is an expectation of improvement.  I would of thought Chris had better opportunities to join Laois Coaching setup.  I would think friendship is ruling the head here.  I want Laois involvement but this is a tough assignment.  I still don't see the plan basically a couple of big names thrown into a set up with huge underlying difficulties and hope for the best. 

Spiritof86

Chrimtain

If Chris Conway and Beano are involved, as far as I'm concerned, that's a good thing. Good luck to them.

I'd like to see them bringing in young guys like Gary Saunders, Frank Flanagan, Eoin Dunne, Niall Dunne, Ronan Coffey, Padraig Kirwan, just to mention a few.

I understand that performing well in the local championship doesn't mean that they can do well at inter County level, but it's a start.

Foe me, success next year would be staying in Div 3 and
seeing new young faces holding down places in the team.

Hopefully the GAA will base the championship around the league which would guarantee a set number of games for each county. This would be a big boost for the likes of Laois.

town1980

i think it is a good thing that we have a recognised name but a bad thing regarding experience both chris and beano have ,,i doubt both lads have been at most club matchs over the last few years  but what i do know is passion wise that will be instilled in the group ,,system of play etc is where they will be judged wins and losses is where they will be judged so we just have to stop giving out and lets see how they get on anything will be better than last years sh__e

BobbyBoucherJr

Have the draws been made for the U20 championship?

beano

I think it's the best management set up that we could have hoped for . If lads can't play for Chris , beano or billy then we may forget it . While not brushing over the apparent problems in Laois gaa I do still think we have the makings of a competitive senior team . We have beaten , Kildare (twice) , Meath , Westmeath (twice) in u20 football in recent years . No reason with a bit of coaching that we can't compete with these teams .